Forums > Model Colloquy > Paying a model

Photographer

Peter Hedegaard

Søllested, Sjælland, Denmark

Hi.
I have not yet paid a model for modelling. But i have thoughts about it.
If i would pay a model for a photo session, what can i expect?
Then i see through the models portfolios there often is prices as 2 hours for 150, 3 hours for 200 etc.
If and when i accept to pay a model for a shoot, what kind of contract would it be? commercial or?
Can i use the photos on my portfolio, sell them on stocks or for editorial purpose?
I have a little hard to find out what to get if i pay.

Best regards
Peter

Sep 27 17 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.
Then i see through the models portfolios there often is prices as 2 hours for 150, 3 hours for 200 etc.
If and when i accept to pay a model for a shoot, what kind of contract would it be? commercial or?
Can i use the photos on my portfolio, sell them on stocks or for editorial purpose?

Best regards
Peter

All of the things that you mention are possibilities.  You need to negotiate with each individual model.

Sep 27 17 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Everything is negotiable.

I recommend obtaining a complete model release. Without a release your ability to do anything with the photos can be sharply limited.

Sep 27 17 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

If you're willing to pay, hire a professional. One who can emote well and pose well. Look at the model's portfolio.

Do not pay amateurs. You WILL regret it.

Sep 27 17 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Your in Denmark, land of beautiful agency models. Contact an agency, dont waste your time with MM freelance models

Sep 27 17 03:48 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.

Best regards
Peter

If you pay a professional model (whether agency, art nude, etc), you should expect communication to be a bit easier (hopefully), they show up on time, it should be easy to communicate about shoot ideas, selling images from the shoot, different types of releases (most of us have signed various kinds), etc.

If you set up a shoot, the best way to do things is to communicate exactly what you are looking to shoot and for what purpose. If you're shooting stock photos, let the model know that. For editorial/publication, let them know that.

You can generally, with any basic release (or without one in some cases) use the photos for portfolio, instagram, other social media. In order to sell photos as stock or submit for publication, you do need a release - you can, usually, find these online pretty easily. For stock photos, I believe you do need a commercial release - which you can also find online. Here are a few examples: https://petapixel.com/2012/12/11/a-coll … ographers/

But, these are, from what I can tell, aimed towards photographers in the US. So, it might differ if you are in Denmark of course.

Sep 28 17 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

It's funny as photographers (most of whom are amateur and not making a living off their work) we spend all sorts of money on various pieces of equipment. Many times it's used once or twice and we never use it again. Sometimes, like me we have spent all sorts of money on many camera bags (I have 10) to find the right one, many which are well over $100+.
We do this in hopes that we get a chance to make good and hopefully great images. Yet, 99% of your images you will never look at more than once ever again. Lots' of $$ spent in hopes of getting a great image, like just one...Then hopefully you print it which if done right is $25 for 8x12.

So, when it comes to models there is no loss of pride or ego to hire a Model who is a big part of your success! If you are looking for some fun editorial shots or commercial spending $150-$200 for three or four hours work will be well worth it. Otherwise, there is a very good chance you spent all this money (in some cases thousands of dollars) on equipment, all this time on learning and then you are going to put someone who might or might not have the skill to be a great model. Unless you are just looking to spend four hours with a hot girl, it takes a lot more to Modeling than just a pretty face.

So, negotiate and communicate and in the end you both will be happy with great images. Not just good ones.

Peace.

M

Sep 28 17 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

The only thing pay guarantees is that you have that much less money.  What you can do with the photos depends largely on what the model release dictates. (Although I don't know much about what you can and can't legally do with images of other people in Denmark)  A higher paid model may come with more  talent and a better look, but not necessarily.   I've certainly been approached by many models wanting $100/hour or more who were no better than models I've paid $30/hour or even TF.  When there's more money at stake people are more likely to stay committed but again this is no guarantee.  Independent models simply don't face the same consequences agency models do.   

Really, I think it all comes down to looking at your needs, what your options are and making the best decision based on those factors.  Some photographers are happy to spend a lot on a more experienced model, some are content paying less or doing TF, possibly spending more time lining up shoots as a result.

Sep 29 17 07:08 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ask a Danish lawyer.

Legal opinions from foreign glamour photographers could lead to serious problems.

Oct 01 17 08:55 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I like to make it simple....When I contact a model, I ask for her hourly posing fees, and if it is within my budget we proceeded to the next step scheduling.... etc......
I am an amateur and do not derive any income from the images. I think only  once, years ago, a model asked me to sign a release of some kind......Paying a model makes everything much easier......I think only once I had a no show....She just  plain forgot our appointment!

Oct 14 17 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.

Best regards
Peter

I don't know how it is in Denmark but here in Germany, most models who call themselves professional are far from professional and charges way too high for what they actually can deliver.

So to be sure the best you do is pay agenced models.

I don't know if it applies to Denmark but in Ireland there are a lot of models with very good experience and a lot to offer as model without charging any money, but just for fun. Or if they ask for money it is usually less than €50/h. Some of the best models I shot I found talking to women in the streets while doing street photography and shopping for groceries.

I wish one day visit Denmark for photo shoot just to find out how it works there.

Oct 26 17 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Darryl Cobb Jr

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think the best advice on the legal aspects would be to seek out a Danish lawyer to outline this. As for paying a model, I have a question?

Why do you feel the need to pay a model?
Are you hiring for a job? Is a client putting you in charge of getting a model to showcase their product? Are you looking to monetize the photos of the shoot via fine art, stock images or some other means? In my opinion, unless it's a model you REALLY REALLY want to shoot, you shouldn't be hiring models for your portfolio.

These questions would be good things to think about when you consult a lawyer when drafting up an agreement you can use.

Oct 27 17 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.

Best regards
Peter

You're hiring and therefore you're paying.  You're giving value for value.  If you are spending money on a model, you need to be getting something for that.  If the model's portfolio and overall work is no better than you can get from a TF model, there's one answer.  Don't hire her.  If on the other hand the model's work is superior to what you can get from a TF model, there's another answer; ultimately you must decide if she's worth the money.

I hire models occasionally to help raise the quality of my work and my portfolio.  Is it worth the money?  For me, it is.  There are certainly very good models who are unpaid.  Generally though, the paid models are business people making their living in front of the camera.  It is in their best interests to communicate, do good work, and be reliable.

In terms of what you can do with the photos, I had one model modify the release saying I couldn't use the photos for stock, which isn't worth my time anyway.  At least in my experience, you can't make any money on stock photos, so why bother?  It was no issue for me.  Otherwise I own the rights to the photos for commercial purposes for any legal use.

Oct 28 17 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Graham Glover wrote:
You're hiring and therefore you're paying.  You're giving value for value.  If you are spending money on a model, you need to be getting something for that.  If the model's portfolio and overall work is no better than you can get from a TF model, there's one answer.  Don't hire her.  If on the other hand the model's work is superior to what you can get from a TF model, there's another answer; ultimately you must decide if she's worth the money.

I hire models occasionally to help raise the quality of my work and my portfolio.  Is it worth the money?  For me, it is.  There are certainly very good models who are unpaid.  Generally though, the paid models are business people making their living in front of the camera.  It is in their best interests to communicate, do good work, and be reliable.

Well said. To build upon that base:

To help put things in context consider it from the other direction. Imagine you're a client looking to hire a photographer. You could hire an experienced pro who works all the time, it would likely cost a little more, and you'd almost certainly get a predictable result, that is you could reasonably expect a level of quality similar to the extensive body of work such a person had created in the past.

Or, you could hire someone just starting out who charges a little less. They might not be as consistent, or they might not have much history for you to look at thus making it harder to know what to expect. You might get really good results and consider it a bargain, or you might get mediocrity.

Or, you could have an amateur do the shots for free. Yes you might get lucky but I'd suggest that unless you have an intuitive sense of talent, the odds of that happening are low.

OK, now draw the same inferences for models.

TFP can be an excellent route if you have a lot of patience, aren't in a hurry, know when to say no to models who seem to be flakes or who don't have the right attitude, or just enjoy working with lots of people or enjoy mentoring newbies. It's a very happy feeling to find a really good unknown model and watch her improve with experience; one must simply be willing to accept that for every one of those there will be some shoots that are just OK (and that's if you have a good eye for talent). A few new models are naturals, others will learn quickly, most will lose interest or not have the motivation to stick with it and do the work.

Personally, if you choose to pay, my recommendation is to select a better known and experienced model. Simple criteria, has she worked with a lot of photographers, maybe you've even heard of a few of them, does her portfolio show top quality work, does she have examples within the general look or style you're seeking. Then expect efficient negotiations, an on time arrival, and a businesslike shoot. If you  can explain what you want, she will more than likely be able to give it to you, and if you do your part the majority of the images will be at least acceptable and hopefully some will be excellent. This is an excellent route for a newer photographer who is willing to learn by shooting with a more experienced person, it also minimizes one variable so you can concentrate on photography.

I'm not a big fan of paying lesser known models who want to charge. I guess everyone needs to start somewhere, but I'd prefer they learn on someone else's dime (I know, but no one ever said life is fair). At that level I don't see a lot of advantage over TFP.

For me, on the relatively few occasions when I choose to pay, it's because I'm busy with the day job and any basic cost-benefit analysis would show that in that case I'd be losing money by wasting time negotiating with a bunch of newbies to find the right one or two. So I shoot trade when I have time, and maybe a couple times a year when things are slammed and I need to fit in a shoot, it's just more efficient to connect with a true professional. Simply put, I bill out at more per hour than the models do, and when I'm working 14 hour days it would be silly for me to lose some of those hours to crawl MM and decide who to take a chance on and then spend a week trading messages.

It's nice when a client is paying the photographer and the model and the stylist and the MUA of course... for me, that's in the distant past. It's fine if you're OK with shooting what the client wants instead of what you want, or better yet if those wants happen to coincide.

I always have a simple release signed, no matter what type of shoot it is, and even if I'm not planning to publish the images. I have sold more than a few very old images and was really glad I had those releases from people who in some cases I no longer knew how to find.

Nov 27 17 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

BDQMedia LLC

Atlanta, Georgia, US

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.

Best regards
Peter

When you hire a model, you should expect to capture exactly what you and the model agree upon. You should always use a model release which should include the compensation given. Your model release should state the usage of the work you create. It is, after all, an agreement between you and the model you decide to hire.

Nov 28 17 12:48 am Link

Photographer

stevierayphoto

New York, New York, US

I dont pay models. They are needing me to create a product for them to get jobs being hired by product/design companies. Models hire photographers. Without us they would not exist. If you need to up your port dont waste your time on MM. Lookup your local modeling agency and start there.

Jan 16 18 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

It is largely up to you. If I were to pay a model I would expect a release to be signed which explains how the images would be used (portfolio, sold as stock imagery, sold to a client, etc). All of this would be communicated upfront, of course.

Jan 16 18 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I pay a model based on her look and experience!

Jan 18 18 12:13 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

PH Freelance wrote:

It depends on where you book whom.

Everything is negotiable. When it comes to usage of images you get exactly what is agreed upon in your contract with the model or the model agency.

Jan 18 18 04:13 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

oops.  sorry.

Jan 21 18 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Hire a Pro if you have a project seems they can work out with

Make sure you both agree in wiring what the shoot and pay consists of - you can set the perameters and see if they go with it!

If a Photographer wants to create a certain body of work, especially Artistic, they should hire an experienced pro model who they can tell from Portfolio and Testimonials she will be able to create the look and poses and compelling feeling they might want.

;-)

Models, especially Nudes, work for pay from photographers, or clients they pay both the model and the photographer .

Personally, I admit I feel a visceral dislike immediately, for a man (and it's always a man) who makes the statement
''I DONT PAY MODELS'' 
Especially when he starts out with it right off the bat.

I can confirm such a man is missing out on a plethora of really amazing models who would NOT pay him, nor be likely to pose for free.

Feb 07 18 12:44 am Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Depends on the model how much I pay.  Having said that even if shooting TF then I'll usually give them something (usually around $20 to cover their gas money and a little bit for themselves.

If it's been a good shoot or I've shot with them before and I like them as a person then i'm prepared to give them a little more

Mar 11 18 01:21 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

stevierayphoto wrote:
I dont pay models.

You have a page on your site trying to sell "fine art prints". Really? You didn't pay the models?

They are needing me to create a product for them to get jobs being hired by product/design companies.

Leaving aside your weird grammar, photographers who actually want to get hired to do model shoots need ports too. More so than models, in fact. Your site doesn't list any campaigns you've worked on. Is it possible that you don't pay models because the ONLY shoots you do are ones you sell to want-to-be models? If so, you should know that real pros do indeed shoot trade...

And suggesting that the guy won't have to and shouldn't pay models to shoot images he plans to sell for STOCK ("Can i use the photos on my portfolio, sell them on stocks or for editorial purpose?") is both entitled and unrealistic.

Mar 11 18 07:46 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

PH Freelance wrote:
Hi.

Best regards
Peter

For goodness sake - don't ask a bunch of mostly amateur photographers who are almost entirely American a question about Danish/EU law... Find a site for Danish photographers and read what it says there.

Mar 11 18 07:51 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Yosh Studio wrote:
Your in Denmark, land of beautiful agency models. Contact an agency, dont waste your time with MM freelance models

Have you had good experience with this? Communicating with agencies seems so much more foreign than with the models themselves

Is there a magic to it? Many times it seems that agencies are fishing for credentials based on the brand you have or are promoting as if there is any, or worse, based on the brand want to quote an exorbitant corporate rate

Is there a fairly universal magic word to get the same $50-$150 hourly rate range that booking direct with models entails? Or even for test shoots

Mar 11 18 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

PH Freelance wrote:

You should expect to get a full model release. Or you may become a very melancholy Dane

A nice summary of applicable DANISH law is here:

http://gettingthedealthrough.com/area/4 … y-denmark/

A full model release allows virtually any usage.

Mar 11 18 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

What can you expect ?  Everything and nothing.  It runs from someone who is professional, shows up as agreed, and is a dream to work with by falling into poses on their own and just knowing how to give you the look you want. That's on the good end, on the other end is someone who just stands there and thinks looking pretty is all that is needed.  Money does not always mean good. I would say look carefully at their pictures.  Just one problem... okay, more than one. Is the picture current ?  And just how many pictures did it take to get that one great one ?  I'm sure if I take 10,000 images at least a handful will be great no matter how bad a model she is.

On the up side, using an agency although more expensive is more of a guarantee as they very rarely keep around a model that is bad at her job.  Too many complaints from those that hire her and no one wants to work with her a second time is a sure way to get released from her agency.

Mar 12 18 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

psmithp

Hillerød, Hovedstaden, Denmark

For a beginner, a pro model is great because (s)he will typically be much more patient than an amateur, especially a newbie.
Make sure you have a very clear written agreement with her/him on what you may use the photos for - especially if the model is not a pro. You can find Danish-language model releases on the intenet.

Mar 15 18 12:35 am Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

Are  there Danish photography groups in your area? If so, consider joining that group. Sometimes the members will join together and bring in an expert on various subjects such as you have brought up in this forum. If photography groups are not common in your area, consider starting one.
As others have mentioned, standards and laws will vary from country to country and advice from people not actually living in Denmark may not be valid.

Mar 24 18 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

JJAG Photography

Sheridan, Wyoming, US

I have started paying a few models. As a very poor photographer. I usually don't have very much to pay. So i normal offer a set price for the whole shoot. lately it's been 100$ a shoot. My favorite model is ok with it. and shoot normally isn't much more than a hour. I always have a model release signed so I can do anything I want with the photography. but it normally doesn't go past model mayhem

Mar 27 18 07:46 am Link

Photographer

JJAG Photography

Sheridan, Wyoming, US

psmithp wrote:
For a beginner, a pro model is great because (s)he will typically be much more patient than an amateur, especially a newbie.
Make sure you have a very clear written agreement with her/him on what you may use the photos for - especially if the model is not a pro. You can find Danish-language model releases on the intenet.

This. always have released signed for every shoot.

Mar 27 18 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
The only thing pay guarantees is that you have that much less money.  What you can do with the photos depends largely on what the model release dictates. (Although I don't know much about what you can and can't legally do with images of other people in Denmark)  A higher paid model may come with more  talent and a better look, but not necessarily.   I've certainly been approached by many models wanting $100/hour or more who were no better than models I've paid $30/hour or even TF.  When there's more money at stake people are more likely to stay committed but again this is no guarantee.  Independent models simply don't face the same consequences agency models do.   

Really, I think it all comes down to looking at your needs, what your options are and making the best decision based on those factors.  Some photographers are happy to spend a lot on a more experienced model, some are content paying less or doing TF, possibly spending more time lining up shoots as a result.

I agree, the only thing I can add is to check their port to see if they meet the requirements you have, not just height, weight, and other measurements but can they express the emotion/look that you are looking for.

May 25 18 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

paying a model might get you access to models that you couldn't shoot with otherwise.

what's the point of a shoot if you can't use the photos in your portfolio? if a model wants that then they have to pay me (same as one of my boudoir customers).

when I pay a "pro" model (like one of the traveling ones) i have them sign the shutterstock release.

when I pay an amateur model it's more like giving them gas money or tip for the shoot.

for my part I don't stress much about releases anymore (unless I'm paying a pro model).

Jun 04 18 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
If you're willing to pay, hire a professional. One who can emote well and pose well. Look at the model's portfolio.

Truth.
Pros are worth their fee, amateurs MAY be.

Jun 07 18 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

If you're willing to pay, hire a professional. One who can emote well and pose well.
Look at the model's portfolio.

Truth.

Pros are worth their fee, amateurs MAY be.

Agreed.
Expect to have free reign to use the images as you please, and not to have to share any edits.
But make sure that is understood and agreed in writing.

I pay Nude models and also give them images for portfolio.
They get a non commercial release.
They can prepare a look and dress and pose as they wish ... so essentially I am providing them with a shoot for which they  pay nothing, and they gain money too!
But then, I have other photographers booked for shooting too.

Jun 20 18 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Stanton Digital

Connersville, Indiana, US

I often find models believe they should be paid, but do not want to pay a photographer for a need they might have. Very one-sided situation. The problem often stems from overzealous photographers who are too goo-goo eyed to realize that this is a business, not a thrill.

Jul 28 18 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Jeff Stanton Digital wrote:
I often find models believe they should be paid, but do not want to pay a photographer for a need they might have. Very one-sided situation. The problem often stems from overzealous photographers who are too goo-goo eyed to realize that this is a business, not a thrill.

On the flip side, I see photographers who believe they should not pay models because think they're doing them a favor.  The problem often stems from cheap-ass or pretentious photographers who don't realize modeling can be for business, just as with photography, and not just for thrills.

Jul 28 18 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

I agree, the only thing I can add is to check their port to see if they meet the requirements you have, not just height, weight, and other measurements but can they express the emotion/look that you are looking for.

I agree.  For example, I find that models who insist on bringing an escort will often have other atypical demands.

Jul 29 18 07:25 pm Link