Forums > Photography Talk > Anyone use the Paul C Buff Giant 60" Octabox?

Photographer

Mark Likosky

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm in Philly and thinking of getting this. Wondered if anyone has one I can borrow to try out or at least hear your thoughts and looking for samples.

Thanks!

Sep 28 17 08:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

It should be okay as they've sold a lot of them.

I went another route with their white 86" umbrella for more softness and their black front spill kill fabric which makes it a large shoot-through Japanese lantern.  Cheaper overall, but being an umbrella with the single shaft, it gets too heavy on the aluminum support rod so I replaced the rod with some hardened steel drill rod from W.W. Grainger (I think it was metric too.).  It also needed another support stand between the umbrella and rear cloth to hold it due to the weight as it sits far out front of the strobe, but it produces a nice round catch-light while being very soft.  It needed the wider reflector too for coverage.

The umbrella's (PLM) tube is pretty big and a box is needed for the rear cover.  The smaller 60" Octabox may be better suited for weight.  Following was shot with the 86" white umbrella only (No rear cover due to confined work area and one stand., ~8 foot distance.) as a shoot-through:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150320/09/550c495f4361d.jpg

Sep 28 17 08:52 am Link

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Actually I was thinking of the 60" x 30" softbox.

Never mind.

Sep 28 17 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I have a couple and they are well made but heavy and put a lot of weight on the light.

I find that the Westcott Mega JS Apollo works about the same and weighs very little, is quick to set up, and no weight on the light mount.

Sep 29 17 10:42 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Bourbon Street wrote:
I have a couple and they are well made but heavy and put a lot of weight on the light.

I find that the Westcott Mega JS Apollo works about the same and weighs very little, is quick to set up, and no weight on the light mount.

I'm a big apollo fan.  I saw a guy named gary huey on adorama and switched to apollo a couple years back. I also ended up switching to godox lights and using wescott soft boxes.  They make a great pairing.

Sep 30 17 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Bourbon Street wrote:
I have a couple and they are well made but heavy and put a lot of weight on the light...

Paul C. Buff is pretty animate about NOT attaching their Giant 60" Octabox directly to their lights...
In the specs for the 60" Octa they indicate to use their Foldable Softbox Stand Mount Adapter owing precisely to the exact reason you mention... this "Adapter" allows the modifier to mount directly to the light stand or boom arm... btw, Kudos on your fashion imagery Bourbon Street, I especially love the captures you've obtained with the 200mm f/2.0 Nikkor... It's now on my wish list... You have certainly showcased it's superb attributes...

Mark, while I don't have the Giant 60" Octabox I do oft use my 30" x 60" Paul Buff Soft-box which is amazing! With its removable inter-baffle in place the output across the entire face is extremely even... Something which the Westcott Mega JS Apollo lacks... Also the build quality of Paul C. Buff foldable Soft-boxes is an order of magnitude above Westcott... Trust me here, while yes I have Westcott in the mix of my lighting gear it simply will not withstand the abuse Buff equipment will... There are compelling reasons that virtually ever Mall Photo Studio in my market uses Paul C. Buff gear... it's ubiquitous and built to last...

Caveat: You will seriously need a heavy duty light stand for the Giant 60" Octabox as well as the 30" x 60" Soft-box...

While Paul Buff recommends their heavy duty light stands I personally find them a tad marginal... Please consider a Steel C-Stand if you go with the Giant 60" Octabox and definitely if you go with the 30" x 60" soft-box which btw, is nearly 2lbs heavier than the Giant 60" Octa... Again experience is a brutal teacher...   

And if you are considering location assignments then pick up three 15lb sand bags... Seriously!

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey...

Sep 30 17 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Paul C. Buff is pretty animate about NOT attaching their Giant 60" Octabox directly to their lights...
In the specs for the 60" Octa they indicate to use their Foldable Softbox Stand Mount Adapter owing precisely to the exact reason you mention... this "Adapter" allows the modifier to mount directly to the light stand or boom arm... btw, Kudos on your fashion imagery Bourbon Street, I especially love the captures you've obtained with the 200mm f/2.0 Nikkor... It's now on my wish list... You have certainly showcased it's superb attributes...

Mark, while I don't have the Giant 60" Octabox I do oft use my 30" x 60" Paul Buff Soft-box which is amazing! With its removable inter-baffle in place the output across the entire face is extremely even... Something which the Westcott Mega JS Apollo lacks... Also the build quality of Paul C. Buff foldable Soft-boxes is an order of magnitude above Westcott... Trust me here, while yes I have Westcott in the mix of my lighting gear it simply will not withstand the abuse Buff equipment will... There are compelling reasons that virtually ever Mall Photo Studio in my market uses Paul C. Buff gear... it's ubiquitous and built to last...

Caveat: You will seriously need a heavy duty light stand for the Giant 60" Octabox as well as the 30" x 60" Soft-box...

While Paul Buff recommends their heavy duty light stands I personally find them a tad marginal... Please consider a Steel C-Stand if you go with the Giant 60" Octabox and definitely if you go with the 30" x 60" soft-box which btw, is nearly 2lbs heavier than the Giant 60" Octa... Again experience is a brutal teacher...   

And if you are considering location assignments then pick up three 15lb sand bags... Seriously!

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
I wish you well on your journey...

Thanks for the compliment. I was mistaken and actually have the 30 x 60 boxes. Back when I bought them I don't remember Buff having that new adapter. You're right, the 60 x 60 would bust the light for sure.

Sep 30 17 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I've got the 35" and 47" Octabox versions and like them a lot.
I have all 3 sizes of the PLM silver (with white diffuser) and love those. Outdoors I use PLM because they set up quicker and have even protected my light when it took a tumble.

I don't have enough space indoors or a need for a grid on a light source that big or else I'd get the 60" octa (with that stand adapter).

Oct 01 17 10:02 am Link