Forums > General Industry > "Spending time with a hot girl"

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I see this phrase time and time again in the forums, usually posted by photographers or models who earn (reportedly) a goodly portion of their income from photography in one form or another and usually as some sort of negative comment about the rest of us.

I'm curious--have you ever considered spending time with an intelligent woman who happens to also be rather nice to look at?  This would be a more accurate description of most (though admittedly not all) of the models I've worked with and I have to say that I recommend it as an alternative.

Your thoughts?

Sep 29 17 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmmmm....give me some time to think about that. But right now I'm spending time shooting a "hot girl" who doesnt talk very much smile

Sep 29 17 03:49 pm Link

Model

kirklandkowboy

Seattle, Washington, US

One would think that would be preferable, and also more accurate, as "spending time with hot girl" has a connotation of a kind of personality that you would probably not find in a successful model OR photographer. Ironically enough, you'd be more likely to find that personality in my day job, Supply Chain Management, which tends to attract very extroverted people with a very soft focus and not too much of a hard edge who can tell a factory owner he's completely screwed without making him feel too bad about it.

Sep 29 17 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've done this many times!    smile
I enjoy the company of hot intelligent women!

Sep 29 17 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Well, hot is hot.  It's not like I quiz them or anything.

Sep 29 17 07:39 pm Link

Model

kirklandkowboy

Seattle, Washington, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Well, hot is hot.  It's not like I quiz them or anything.

I agree, but if you can have more, why not take more? big_smile Women like it when you're greedy with them I reckon.

Sep 29 17 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I never use the word hot t describe a woman/girl.

To me it's bordering on demeaning.

I prefer beautiful or gorgeous

I hate the word pretty as well!

Sep 30 17 12:00 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I simply stopped teaching in Georgia due to students paying tuition solely to be around beautifull models, they had no interest in improving their skills, but just to stand around gawking like 16 year olds.

The expression "Hot girls" can be a hint at the true motivation.

Sep 30 17 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I prefer women being more comfortable, cooler and not so hot that they are standing around sweating all over the place...

Oct 01 17 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

A model is a model. Be nice, respectable, accommodating, warm, but in the end the only she is with you is because you are a photographer and she is a model, nothing more.

Oct 01 17 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

don't know about 'hot'

but if they photograph well and are out of the box creative..

good stuff will happen

Oct 02 17 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I see this phrase time and time again in the forums, usually posted by photographers or models who earn (reportedly) a goodly portion of their income from photography in one form or another and usually as some sort of negative comment about the rest of us.

Politically correct BS on the use of certain terms trigger some people, and/or are just envious, and/or think to be more professional and so above the other with their ideas.

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I'm curious--have you ever considered spending time with an intelligent woman who happens to also be rather nice to look at?  This would be a more accurate description of most (though admittedly not all) of the models I've worked with and I have to say that I recommend it as an alternative.

Your thoughts?

Model are human too, so I don't see any issue, but usually impratical for time constraints, etc.
But if someone want have an higher probabilities for conversation, outside the shooting, exist workshop that last all day long where everyone involved have dinner together.
Or find a muse, where the quality over quantity should be greater, but with the drawback of only a point of view on any possible conversation.

Oct 03 17 10:42 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

A meaningful relationship might be attained between any two people who share common interest.

In the case of spending time with "a hot girl" I ask them to remove all their clothes as well.

Oct 04 17 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

My thoughts:

I hire model's based on their look and experience as it relates to the shoot at hand, not because of their intellect or education, although I find model's overall tend to be fairly educated.  To me this about "look", not "hotness".  Many models I hire for art projects are not glamour models.   I often pass on "hot" models because their rates or look may not be right for my project.

Oct 05 17 10:46 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

goofus  wrote:
don't know about 'hot'

but if they photograph well and are out of the box creative..

good stuff will happen

Thanks for saying this, for the most part I prefer that photographers refer to my appearance in my photographs, rather than how "hot" I am.  I have been the recipient of a lot of well-intentioned remarks about my appearance during shoots, and it mostly just makes me feel uncomfortable.  Maybe the photographers (or whoever is making these comments, sometimes it's passerby, studio owners, etc.) are just saying what they think they would like to hear if they were in my position, but the fact of the matter is that I'm there to be professional and get the best possible photos, not to get validated for how pretty and sexy I am.  If I wanted that kind of attention, I would go to a pick up bar.

When I hear people talking about spending time with hot girls, it starts to sound a lot less like the pursuit of great images, and a lot more about paying for a woman's company, which is not really in a model's job description.

Oct 11 17 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I'm curious--have you ever considered spending time with an intelligent woman who happens to also be rather nice to look at?

All day long. :-)

Oct 12 17 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Image by Justin J

PhotoACR wrote:
A model is a model. Be nice, respectable, accommodating, warm, but in the end the only she is with you is because you are a photographer and she is a model, nothing more.

Point being.. it's basically a business relationship.

Having a photoshoot session with a model is just that, and trying to cross a gross line of 'spending time with a hot girl' is partly misleading in that you're not just spending time, you're actually working on a project to accomplish something professionally.

Oct 12 17 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

How about - be considerate and turn down the air conditioning then - or at least turn on a fan??  Problem solved and then back to work.  :-)

Oct 12 17 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Last week I had lunch with a former agency fashion model I had shot with nearly a decade ago in my city . Since her brief stint as a fashion model here she had moved back to Taiwan , gotten married , had 2 children . completed a masters degree in Engineering and has been working for an International High Tech Consulting Firm

Lets just say that our most recent ( 4 hr ) conversation over dimsum - was far more interesting than any conversations that i recall with her from the past ( at least in my opinion )

So interesting that we have decided to do dim sum on a monthly basis

Oct 12 17 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Karen Engel Photography wrote:
How about - be considerate and turn down the air conditioning then - or at least turn on a fan??  Problem solved and then back to work.  :-)

There was a model who came into my hotel room for a shoot and turned up the heat to 83 degrees.   I didn't notice this until after the shoot.   smile

Oct 12 17 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

-The Dave- wrote:
I prefer women being more comfortable, cooler and not so hot that they are standing around sweating all over the place...

I switched to strobes, and dumped those tungsten lights.....most models are more comfortable.....

Oct 13 17 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
There was a model who came into my hotel room for a shoot and turned up the heat to 83 degrees.   I didn't notice this until after the shoot.   smile

So much better than reviewing the images later and discovering that the model was covered with goose bumps.

Oct 13 17 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mark Salo wrote:

So much better than reviewing the images later and discovering that the model was covered with goose bumps.

The shoot was originally going to be outdoors in the desert at 5PM but it became cooler and windy.  I saw that she was uncomfortable and I suggested doing the shoot at the hotel and she was very happy with that!

Oct 13 17 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Your thoughts?

I actually show photos of models to friends and associates and point out that:

* this model is an excellent business person who successfully makes her living as a full-time model and doesn't shoot nude
* this model is a college student studying math
* this model is a full time model/ballerina whose photos were used in very high profile advertising
* this model does mergers and acquisitions
* this model works in international relations and travels all over the world

I've been very fortunate to have worked with very good models, many of whom are very intelligent and successful, who also happen to be beautiful.  The very best, the real pros, communicate as pros, and are easy to work with.  Outside of MM, there's an "alpha male" aspect of being able to show that, yes, I really *do* work with stunningly beautiful women and you don't.  With my closer male friends and with my female friends and associates, I love sharing that I'm working with exceptional women.

Oct 14 17 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
The shoot was originally going to be outdoors in the desert at 5PM but it became cooler and windy.  I saw that she was uncomfortable and I suggested doing the shoot at the hotel and she was very happy with that!

Hey, Jerry, please quote the full original context.

Oct 14 17 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
I'm spending time shooting a "hot girl" smile

HOT GIRLS???  Some of you shoot HOT GIRLS???
Man, I'm shooting with the wrong girls!!!   LoL

Oct 17 17 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

MrArt_Photography

Miami, Florida, US

It is really Hard to find any kind of full package, finding a Hot Girl who is also Intelligent , I don't relate this to the fact that the model is hot or that beauty=stupidity , I relate it to lack of reading, study and discipline some how.
I enjoy being in front of a Hot beautiful Female Model, but I have to be honest when I cross a Hot and Smart Female Model, oooh Man that drives me crazy.

I consider myself Sapiosexual   !!!
Best

Oct 18 17 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

I don't naturally refer to people as "hot," so I guess I don't understand why so many other photographers do. During the course of professionally booking a model and carrying out the shoot, I don't see any reason to comment on her looks beyond possibly saying something like "I like your look and/or your work" in the initial contact email. If you are booking her for your precious photo shoot, it is a given that you find her looks suitable for that shoot. During a shoot, the closest I get to commenting on the model's looks is to say something like "You're doing a great job" once or twice throughout the 2-hour session, and that only because I find that people in general like positive feedback when they are putting their every effort into the job you hired them for. Unless the model brings up the subject during a shoot (as happened once), there is no need for me to start thinking about or commenting on her looks or figure specifically. I have routinely been told by models that I am refreshingly professional to work with, like its not normal and somehow hard for photographers to be so. Being kind, friendly, and professional should come naturally to people engaged in a business relationship.

Oct 19 17 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MarkGerrardPhotography wrote:
I never use the word hot t describe a woman/girl.

I never use the word girl to describe a woman.

Oct 19 17 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

PhotoRealism wrote:
I don't naturally refer to people as "hot," so I guess I don't understand why so many other photographers do. During the course of professionally booking a model and carrying out the shoot, I don't see any reason to comment on her looks beyond possibly saying something like "I like your look and/or your work" in the initial contact email. If you are booking her for your precious photo shoot, it is a given that you find her looks suitable for that shoot. During a shoot, the closest I get to commenting on the model's looks is to say something like "You're doing a great job" once or twice throughout the 2-hour session, and that only because I find that people in general like positive feedback when they are putting their every effort into the job you hired them for. Unless the model brings up the subject during a shoot (as happened once), there is no need for me to start thinking about or commenting on her looks or figure specifically. I have routinely been told by models that I am refreshingly professional to work with, like its not normal and somehow hard for photographers to be so. Being kind, friendly, and professional should come naturally to people engaged in a business relationship.

I'm happy for you.  And, them, I suppose. 

I shoot a lot of novices, and put a lot of effort into making sure they are comfortable with what we're shooting before, and at, the shoot.  It's not unusual for a young woman to try nude modeling as a way of dealing with body image issues or self esteem matters. Especially if someone they know and respect or admire talks of having a good experience in that situation.  In cases like that, yes, I do often tell them that they look lovely, and that they are doing great.  And I show them pictures illustrating the point.  The only time "Hot" comes up would be either when I mention that I *don't* aim for presenting a model as sexy, or if I'm asking about their comfort with the room temperature.  For what it's worth, I also get plenty of compliments on professionalism and that they had a great experience.  Not to mention referrals.  Of course, I also invest much more than two hours in a session, in order to build comfort, and a bit of a connection.  Based on comments from the models, and from viewers of the images, that seems to be worthwhile.  It has also provided me with some fascinating insights and perspectives.

Oct 19 17 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Me, "Damn, that's hot!  Chin up, chin up, push your right knee out a little.  Wow!  Love it! Love it!  God, that's hot!"

Oct 20 17 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Me, "Damn, that's hot!  Chin up, chin up, push your right knee out a little.  Wow!  Love it! Love it!  God, that's hot!"

https://media.giphy.com/media/WtDkzOf0hHQju/giphy.gif

Oct 20 17 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I don't use the term hot girl but I love working with a beautiful woman!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/131128/05/529741138fd05.jpg

Oct 21 17 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jeff Cole MFA ASMP wrote:
I simply stopped teaching in Georgia due to students paying tuition solely to be around beautifull models, they had no interest in improving their skills, but just to stand around gawking like 16 year olds.

The expression "Hot girls" can be a hint at the true motivation.

I'm also in Atlanta and your post reminds me of when I started to get more emails from men wanting to "assist" during shoots than guys applying to model. I'd ask them if they had any experience with photography and they would admit that they would admit that they just wanted to see a hot naked guy.

Oct 22 17 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mantographer wrote:
I'm also in Atlanta and your post reminds me of when I started to get more emails from men wanting to "assist" during shoots than guys applying to model. I'd ask them if they had any experience with photography and they would admit that they would admit that they just wanted to see a hot naked guy.

I also get the same request.  They want to stand and look at nude models while I am busy photographing them!   big_smile

Oct 22 17 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

My first comment is that when people talk about "intelligent women," two thoughts come to mind.

The first of these is that some guys define "intelligent women" as women who agree with them. Often, these are guys who seem to show few signs of intelligence within themselves. They have no academic accomplishments. They don't seem to work in a field that would require much skill or non-academic intelligence. In any conversation, they seem unable to contribute anything requiring deep thought. When they go on a rant about appreciating an "intelligent woman," their descriptions seem to be of women who appreciate what they have to say.

The second thought is that while intelligence has a certain attraction and value, I don't see intelligence as a virtue. Patience is a virtue. Kindness is a virtue. Self-control is a virtue. Wisdom is a virtue. Intelligence, like beauty, is just a tool that one can use for good or for harm. Plenty of intelligent people don't seem to like themselves or anyone else very much, and they often live pretty miserable lives. I enjoy a good conversation on some intellectual topics. In the long run, I would probably need a woman who could have those conversations in order to have a long-term relationship. I don't pretend that those conversations make either of us better than people who have more virtues. In the long run, a woman who has a pleasing appearance and is virtuous without being extraordinarily intelligent is probably a better companion than the woman who has a pleasing appearance and is very intelligent without being virtuous.

I would love to have the companionship of a woman who has virtue, intelligence, and a pleasing appearance, but that's not the point of doing a shoot with a model. I've liked most of the models that I've shot, and liking them makes the shoot more fun. As an amateur, I do photography for fun, but even if I don't have good personal chemistry with a model, there's still a fun if I can learn something through the shoot.

In terms of being "hot," I see many models as being beautiful without fitting my idea of "hot." Many experienced models can flip into and out of being "hot" to meet the needs of a particular shoot. Seeing a model exercise that skill in transitioning back and forth is fun.

In terms of using the term "hot" to describe how things look through the camera, I look at the point of the shoot. In a shoot that is trying to produce images that fit the "hot" style, I see nothing wrong with telling the model that the look is "hot." If the shoot is trying to produce a different type of image, I wouldn't like to use the term because doing so would communicate that we weren't getting the desired effect.

As I've said in many of these threads, I seem to have odd emotional responses to some things. In a different context of "hot," I used to be on the fire crew at work. I remember standing outside one of the props during training one time and feeling the heat as they lit the fire and let it get some size before we started the attack. For just a moment, I thought to myself what a rush the whole experience was. For just a moment, I let my emotions ride the slight adrenaline surge that comes from the sight, sound, and heat of the flames. As soon as we started the attack, my mind flipped over and I lost the emotions as I was trying to catch all of the technical points of putting out the fire. In photography, I often have the same sense that I should be emotionally thrilled by the situation at some level but what really dominates my mind is concern for the technical and artistic points that I need to capture.

Nov 14 17 03:42 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Python Photos wrote:
Plenty of intelligent people don't seem to like themselves or anyone else very much, and they often live pretty miserable lives.

So you are either miserable or not intelligent.
Wisdom for the ages!

Nov 14 17 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:

Wisdom for the ages!

lol

Nov 14 17 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

When I am shooting my greatest concern is taking good images.

Nov 14 17 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

Jules NYC wrote:

Wisdom for the ages!

I guess that depends on your definition of "Plenty of." To me, "plenty of" doesn't mean a majority or even a plurality. "Plenty of" certainly doesn't mean all or even most in the contexts that I've always heard. Apparently, you've heard the expression used differently.

When I used the pronoun "they," I was referring to the "Plenty of intelligent people" in the first half of this compound sentence. I wasn't referring to all intelligent people, most intelligent people, a moderate majority of intelligent people, or a bare majority of intelligent people.

To me, "plenty of" in this context means that finding someone who is intelligent but has other very serious problems is not unusual. I've worked with some brilliant people. Some of them are world class in their fields. Many others are quite intelligent without being brilliant. Most of them have been great people who were not miserable at all. Enough of them have been miserable that I'm no longer surprised when I run into someone who has great intelligence but is profoundly unhappy with life.

Nov 15 17 06:20 pm Link