Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Windows Ten Calibration issue

Photographer

MisterBlonde

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to rectify an issue I'm having with my laptop.

I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad 310 with Windows 10 to edit on and it is hooked up to AOC i2369Vm monitor. I calibrate my monitor using a Spyder5Pro 5.2. My problem lies in that each time I turn on my computer my calibration is not being saved or loading meaning everytime I want to edit, I have to re-calibrate from scratch each time which is very frustrating and time-consuming.

I have tried switching between different profiles and loading my saved last calibrated profile and I have noticed that despite clicking between profiles, my screen remains the same. Is this a windows ten issue and how can I rectify this so that I can edit without all this hassle?

All help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Cal

Oct 03 17 01:58 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

1. What makes you think you can calibrate this monitor? What calibration controls does it have? Does it allow storing of calibration LUT inside the monitor? - If not, you are not calibrating the monitor but you are profiling it with the video card which is not the same and it actually means the monitor itself is not made in a way allowing real hardware calibration. So just to clarify - you are most probably creating a videocard profile because monitors which allow hardware calibration are in a quite different price range.

2. What you describe sounds like the profile is not saved (or not applied). I have never used Win10 (and I hope I will never need to) but in general in all Wins, the profile is chosen from the Control panel - Display settings. If you create the profile once, make sure you know where the ICC file is saved and just let Windows know about it. Usually the OS stores a copy of the ICC profile in windowssystem32spooldrivescolor.

Oct 03 17 02:47 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

If you are using Corel's Paint Shop Pro I think you might have the problem described.  Every time I start that program, the screen color changes from the default ICM profile selected and stays that way until I reboot.  Corel has had an issue with color management for several versions now.  Some software will complain about it when the color management suddenly  changes with that PSP software like Eizo's Color Navigator.

It does not do that in Photoshop CS6 and color management remains stable.

Windows 10 Create version 1703 has changed a few things in the Color Management window too.  You'll have three tabs in that pane to drill through for sundry settings: Devices, All Profiles. and Advanced.

Oct 03 17 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I had a similar issue once and I just removed the default ICC profile and recalibrated.  I only have 1 monitor, so, I would suspect in your case, you should be calibrating for 2 monitors.

Search for "Color Management" in Win 10.

https://i.imgur.com/F1JdAFi.png

Oct 03 17 06:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Pall Kris Design

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

In windows 10 you need to restart the computer after you make changes in color management as Mr. Black suggested.

If it does not save your profile - you may have a problem with Spyder5Pro 5.2 - try running it as administrator before contacting their support.

I have some issues too with win 10 - it's changing to the default icc monitor profile during some of the automatic updates.

Oct 07 17 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Brian Davies

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

When you have created your profile, make sure it appears in the Windows 10 Colour Management dialogue. If not, add it from there (by clicking the Add button) and tick the box saying "Use my settings for this device". Select the profile and then click "Set as default profile". It should be applied instantly and there is no need to restart Windows.

Oct 21 17 03:01 am Link