Forums > Photography Talk > Buying from KEH?

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Hello, all.

I have been retired from photography for a while due to medical issues. I am doing much better now and looking to get back into photography as it was a challenging and rewarding pursuit.

Back in the day KEH was a very popular and dependable place for buying used gear but a few years have gone by. Are they still the go-to place for used camera bodies? Any newer businesses I should consider?

I remember buying a Nikon D80 from Cameta Camera a few years ago and it was faulty but they replaced it quickly. I also got a used Nikon D300 from B&H and had a great experience.

Oct 05 17 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

KEH low-balled and robbed me when I sold gear to them.  My buying experience, however, has allays been a good one.  When they say a used camera is "good" they mean "great" and when they say it's "excellent" it's actually "mint."

Oct 05 17 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

hbutz New York wrote:
KEH low-balled and robbed me when I sold gear to them.  My buying experience, however, has allays been a good one.  When they say a used camera is "good" they mean "great" and when they say it's "excellent" it's actually "mint."

Yes.

I had some lenses indistinguishable from new that they ranked lower. They bank on you not wanting to spend the time having them sent all the way back, but that's what I did.

Got a better price in person at Samy's, especially after I told them I already spurned a KEH offer on them.

Oct 05 17 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Great to buy from, bought a Zeiss lens for my Sony and it didn't focus right, they took it back no questions asked.

Oct 05 17 01:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I recently bought a lens from them.

However, I didn't know the lens, being used, had two firmware versions applied since then (I took it to Best Buy and put it on their demo body and found out that it was version 1.0 and it needed 1.2 for video.).  It was to be used on a drone camera and I couldn't update the version through it and had to send it in for the $140 version update so it ended up costing more than a new one would have.

I since bought a real camera body so I could update it if needed.

Oct 05 17 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I've bought lenses from KEH, but never a body. Never had a bad experience.

Search for refurbished bodies. Often, Adorama has really good deals on refurbs. B&H also sells used gear.

Oct 05 17 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

I've bought tons of stuff from them over the years.  They used to offer better discounts once or twice a year but that all now seems to be gone.   Anyway the prices are competitive/market values and they are the gold standard of used gear resellers in my book.  Ratings are conservative, and support is top notch.  On par or better than B&H.

Oct 05 17 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Karen Engel Photography wrote:
I've bought tons of stuff from them over the years.  They used to offer better discounts once or twice a year but that all now seems to be gone.   Anyway the prices are competitive/market values and they are the gold standard of used gear resellers in my book.  Ratings are conservative, and support is top notch.  On par or better than B&H.

Keh is great but the sales tax has drove me to other sellers. Ebay had the best deals on cameras and lenses for me this year with Adorama running a close 2nd. Roberts Camera had excellent deals on used Nikon lenses this year as well.I like their 180 day warranty on used gear.

Oct 05 17 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Never had a bad experience. buying or selling..... will go there again in the future

Oct 06 17 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I will also vouch for them.   Great place to buy from.  (Heartbreaking to sell to, but that's a different issue.)  I have bought several lenses and camera bodies from them.  No hassle returns.  I have always been happy with their quality.

One caveat: the last time I bought from them was about 2014.  Someone else may have more current information?

Oct 06 17 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I buy from KEH all the time without issue, especially because they carry a six-month warranty.  I would never SELL anything to KEH.  I can get way better prices on Craigslist.

Oct 06 17 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Hidden Hills Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Haven't sold to them, but I have bought two bodies and several lenses from them and have been happy with each purchase, saved a bunch over new and nowhere near as risky as CL.

Oct 08 17 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I've bought and sold with them.  Selling is good but they're tough on grading, once they agreed once they downgraded. Much better than CL as they test the equipment and stand behind it.  A little more expensive than eBay but less hassle and you don't have to wait until the auction ends and don't have to worry if it will be just like stated. And the things I bought outright from them were much better than expected. Like I said, they're tough on grading.

Oct 08 17 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've sold to them.  They found a fungus on one of my lenses.  It once had condensation on it.

Oct 08 17 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Charlie Schmidt wrote:
Never had a bad experience. buying or selling..... will go there again in the future

Ditto.  Ask for Arthur

Oct 08 17 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Rating and pricing used equipment is subjective. KEH, B&H, Adorama are all honest. They are willing to return your equipment if you do not accept their appraisal.  ColumbusCameraGroup.com is another great organization.

I am not ready to trust any others.

Understand that no one can pay a high price to obtain inventory and then sell it for a low price.

Oct 08 17 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

davew

Ephrata, Pennsylvania, US

bought 4 bodies off of them never a problem, I did have a problem 2 times  last month buying a used 80-200 for Nikon.
This is a workhorse lens and the price was fair, it arrived and it was back focusing like 50 feet... ( yes for real)

I sent them test images showing my focus point from a plug in i have for lightroom ( pretty handy plug in)
I was focusing on a guy hitting a golf ball and the lens got the tree 50 feet  up to the left of him in focus..

I sent the lens back and they tested it with THE same result on 3 different nikon bodies.
They were real nice to deal with and even offered to ship me a lens of equal value overnight for free
I asked her to have them check another copy of the 80-200 and please call me back.

I got a call about 4 hours later that the only other EX condition 80-200 they had  also had focus issues on their test cameras, and I was entitled to a full refund If i wanted..

I got my refund and purchased a new 80-200 off of B and H for the full retail price and it has been perfect..
So be careful but they seem to stand by anything that may happen i the 14 days you have ..

Oct 21 17 06:09 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

I've bought a couple of "consumer" lenses from KEH and they were well priced and probably better than their ratings would suggest. Recently I bought a pro-grade Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 from Borrowlens.com, a lens rental outfit. It was very reasonably priced and looked (and acted) like it was brand new. They're worth giving a look. https://www.borrowlenses.com/category/gear-for-sale

Oct 21 17 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

testingphotography

Seattle, Washington, US

I've bought various stuff from KEH for over 20 years, never had something delivered that was defective.  Most of the time their rating is very conservative i.e. the lens, camera, meters whatever is in better condition than I expected from the rating.

Oct 26 17 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Shashinka Ichiban

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Never an issue in the 25 years I've dealt with them. They low-balled me on some things and high-balled others. I sadly borked them over once at an event years back, where I had a bunch of old Nikon professional bodies for sale, the rep had me separate the bodies from the batteries, he cut me a check for the bodies with the batteries but the batteries got left in my Domke bag and I didn't catch it till I got home; same buying event, a Nikon with a dead sensor found its way in to the batch and got sold as EX+. Then again, I've ordered an EX+/LN- gear and got things with busted shutters that had to go back, so shit does happen; not deliberately, but things do get borked occasionally.

Oct 30 17 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Cristina Casiano

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I found a Canon 7D for 450 it was great. I mention it for those who are looking for older equipment.

Nov 02 17 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I’ve bought lots of used gear from them. The ratings on equipment always seem conserrvative. Stuff always looks better than i expected

Nov 08 17 04:39 pm Link