Forums > Photography Talk > TF - giving all the proofs away?

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

I recently had a model make this statement which was quite odd - "I know with TF's Its usually I get the proofs as well"  (where "get" means they are given the files)

Has anyone ever actually done this - or practices this?  Was this just BS - or is someone out there giving away all the files for an entire TF shoot???

For us - for quality control reasons we never release any unfinished images.  Anything less, only makes the model and us look unprofessional in our opinion.    This also (would) open up the door to hack editing jobs - (we also have a clause prohibiting altering the images we do provide, as well as clauses forbidding the copying of proofs, previews, tests and samples etc. that we provide via online gallery).

It's stated up front in a sample TF agreement document and pre-shoot instructions we give each model.  I had to go on to point it out and explain it all again.    If all this seems draconian - I've caught models stealing proofs and doing hack jobs on them in the past...

Oct 08 17 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I think last year, there were at least a couple of threads going regarding this.  There was even a photographer that was giving out all the RAWs.

This reminds me of casting calls I see once in a while, "I'd like ALL images right after the shoot.  And, the edited ones in 36 hours." LOL

Yeah, I hate it when they take the proofs and post 'em.  I used to have a one-line, "Sample Proof", in the middle towards the bottom of the image as to not cover up their face.  After a couple of incurs, I started doing this:  https://i.imgur.com/wiQr8jI.jpg

In the end, all you can do is have it in your agreement and/or tell them, "Sorry, I don't do that.  Do I have 'GWC' written all over my forehead?!?"  joking Joking JOKING!  haha big_smile

Oct 08 17 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Go look on craigslist and you'll see casting calls that look just like this:

Internationally published photographer is coming to [your city] and is looking to do a photo shoot with a local model for publication submissions. I will provide you with all the photos s immediately after the shoot on CD or Flash Drive for your efforts.

...Or something to that effect. Of course if you get a glimpse of their portfolio it's filled with GWC images and nothing else. This mentality of turning everything over after the shoot is something that noob models ask for and noob photographers provide.

Oct 08 17 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Hey Karen,

The problem, as I see it, is that photographers don't value their own work and are willing to give away files just for the opportunity to shoot with a model.  While everyone is free to do as he/she pleases, I personally see the practice as self-defeating and unprofessional.  On the other side of the equation is those who do whatever they please to an image just because they can and there's very little that can reasonably be done about it.

My policies are simple and have worked for me for over two decades.  Images never leave me without being processed and RAW files are never distributed.  I don't do proofs and clients only receive what I deem are images up to my business standards.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to stop people these days from altering files to suit their own needs and desires and in violation of copyright law and contracts.  Photographers could spend all day taking legal action against those altering their images but it still wouldn't stop those who blatantly disregard the law and have no professional scruples in the first place.  I've sent letters to clients who have altered images, citing copyright law and requesting that they remove any altered images from wherever they've posted them, as well as refraining from doing it again in the future.  A couple have replied with, "Well, I paid you to take these and I can do whatever I like to them!"  They are kindly referred to the section of the contract we both signed that indicates I retain copyright, a brief synopsis of what that means and that they are to refrain from altering the images.  Sometimes, this is all it takes.  Others are a bit more bold and defiant, still doing whatever they like and continuing to post the altered images when and where they desire.  I'd be the first to purchase software that would be encoded into images and totally black them out it out if a client attempted to alter it in some manner, thereby securing copyright.

The problem we face is not that people are capable of changing an image but rather that they feel entitled to do whatever they desire to another person's images, and have no respect for the work of others or the people who create it.  Combine that with the photographer who makes that sense of entitlement all that much easier by not valuing his/her work, giving out the files and the problem compounds ten-fold.

Oct 09 17 04:00 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Karen Engel Photography wrote:
I recently had a model make this statement which was quite odd - "I know with TF's Its usually I get the proofs as well"  (where "get" means they are given the files)

Has anyone ever actually done this - or practices this?  Was this just BS - or is someone out there giving away all the files for an entire TF shoot???

For us - for quality control reasons we never release any unfinished images.  Anything less, only makes the model and us look unprofessional in our opinion.    This also (would) open up the door to hack editing jobs - (we also have a clause prohibiting altering the images we do provide, as well as clauses forbidding the copying of proofs, previews, tests and samples etc. that we provide via online gallery).

It's stated up front in a sample TF agreement document and pre-shoot instructions we give each model.  I had to go on to point it out and explain it all again.    If all this seems draconian - I've caught models stealing proofs and doing hack jobs on them in the past...

Hi Karen:

In today's cameras are everywhere society, it seems like people are exposed to so many pedestrian photos, that they hardly recognize professional quality work.  Editing software comes with a basic Apple computer, and, my understanding is, that Apple's Photo is about to get much more sophisticated this Fall, bringing it line with what Aperture did.  It is easy to edit anything to one's taste, which supersede professional standards. 

All you can do with the model is make it clear what you are going to give her and the two of you can come to an agreement or pass.  From the model's perspective, which is often stated here, a TF shoot frequently ends in the delivery of images that the model neither wants or can use.  If the model isn't given some say in what he/she receives, it seems the incentive to shoot TF would be reduced.  I certainly do not want to process hundreds of photos prior to getting the model's opinion on what she can use.  Black Z Eddie's method would probably solve the problem somewhat.  Another important process which you can employ is to only use models with a high degree of professionalism and ethics.

There is not valuing your work as a photographer, and then there is not valuing your work as a photographer.  Some would see it to be a case of not valuing your work as a photographer to give out lots of proofs or lots of images.  Possibly true.   Some do not value their work enough to demand that someone is held to the letter of the contract, and some do not value the work enough to spend the $50 bucks to register their work with the copyright office. 

If you use a contract that specifically spells out that the copyrights belong to the photographer and that licensing fees are required for additional use, and that images may not be altered by the client, you may also want to insert language that makes it clear that any violation of the agreement would include that the customer pays for any legal fees and damages, and set a contractional minimum damage at a ridiculous figure like $10,000.00 (US) per image or use or both.  Contracts, like dogs, get much more intimidating when they have big teeth.  Such an agreement may not hold up in all jurisdictions, but that is where competent legal advice become important.  US copyright law, will be up held in your jurisdiction and registering images is beneficial to the photographer or creative person.

Furthermore, if you read "The Copyright Zone", you will see stories relayed by the authors about unlicensed use of photos.  The authors contact the offender, who then takes the unauthorized use down and the offenders expect that to be sufficient.  The authors, particularly the attorney, disagrees.  There are damages.  The question I pose: does a photographer value their work if he/she is unwilling to pursue a claim against infringement?   Is my work valuable if it isn't worth the effort of protecting my livelihood by defending it?  Much more if I fail to take action against the most egregious and obnoxious violators of the contract?  Everyone needs to make their own business decisions and those reflect the value they place, not only on their work, but also the word of mouth advertising they will receive.

Oct 09 17 06:36 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Has anyone ever actually done this - or practices this?  ...is someone out there giving away all the files for an entire TF shoot???

Yes, some people do it regularly.

For us - for quality control reasons we never release any unfinished images.

If you have a policy, and that policy works for you, perhaps just find people who are in agreement and work with them, and don't worry about how or what other people do.

Oct 09 17 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Oct 09 17 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

Thanks for the discussion everyone.   Many good points.  This was also a good reminder to me to turn the large watermark feature back on in my proofs gallery section!    I like giving the models their own selections to keep them happy - plus from experience dealing with clients I know that images I think are great don't often sync with the client's top choices.  So a little of each keeps everyone happy.

Oct 09 17 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

People do all kinds of things, and some certainly give away all the images from a shoot.  If I'm doing a trade shoot, I let the model choose some images.  I create a hidden password protected web gallery and all the images have a (very light) watermark that says "PROOF COPY DO NOT PUBLISH".

Oct 10 17 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Yes, there are some here who give out unedited images, but I think it's fairly rare.  I find it's also rare that models make such demands.  I've stopped trying to negotiate and explain myself to models with such demands, better to just avoid them in my opinion.   

I was looking through available MM models in my area yesterday and passed on one I would have contacted because she had such ultimatums written in her profile.   I wonder if such models realize how many offers they are missing out on.

Oct 10 17 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Everyones different!
Whats the point in being an Artiest if your going to be the same?
Do you!

Oct 12 17 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

I felt I needed to get the point across up front. 

My TFP shoot policy: 
I’m Jarrett Porst, stated as the Photographer.  Photographer shoots RAWS, won’t give them up unless there's a price to pay.  Photographer stores all raws on private storage drives.  Images made available may be transferred on a storage device of photographers choice that is provided by the client or image access will be made available via DropBox links.   Photographer will provide imagery on all changes up to three variations that we collaborate on.  Photographer has the last look on all edited images. Photographer carries rights to all images.  No images of Client or any brand Client is representing will be posted/released without Clients documented consent or Clients authorizers documented consent.  Due to the nature of TFP, credit and endorsements are always - always welcome and reciprocated.  I’m a fair negotiator, discussions are always open.

Thoughts?

Oct 13 17 01:00 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:
I felt I needed to get the point across up front. 

My TFP shoot policy: 
I’m Jarrett Porst, stated as the Photographer.  Photographer shoots RAWS, won’t give them up unless there's a price to pay.  Photographer stores all raws on private storage drives.  Images made available may be transferred on a storage device of photographers choice that is provided by the client or image access will be made available via DropBox links.   Photographer will provide imagery on all changes up to three variations that we collaborate on.  Photographer has the last look on all edited images. Photographer carries rights to all images.  No images of Client or any brand Client is representing will be posted/released without Clients documented consent or Clients authorizers documented consent.  Due to the nature of TFP, credit and endorsements are always - always welcome and reciprocated.  I’m a fair negotiator, discussions are always open.

Thoughts?

It is good to explain what you want and are offering up front.  Is this what you print out and hand to people?  It isn't clear to me.  It is an ineffective use of plain English which reads poorly to mimic legalese.  Your paragraph creates uncertainty and questions and if your intention is to get credits, you leave a gap a truck can drive through.  It is not specific as to what the other participant in a TF shoot can expect or who is the client?  It seems you are offering TF to commercial clients.  It seems you are creating liability for yourself.

I would be happy to give you a more specific teardown if it would  help.  Even then, no matter what, I would strongly recommend an attorney review anything anyone uses as a standard contract.

Oct 13 17 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

For those who remember, when we shot 35mm for models, and it was usually black and white, we had no fear of giving them an actual contact sheet.  Really wasn't much they could do with them.  Images were small but they could at least see what the pose and expression was.  Even if they needed a lupe. 

So make a digital contact sheet.  PS still has that feature though I think you may have to add it from Adobe's site. Contact Sheet II.  File>Automate.   But just make them a digital contact sheet where the images are no more then say 2x3 and low res.  Just enough so they can see them but not be able to make them any bigger without seeing pixelization.  Or better yet, print them out.  Give them an actual "contact sheet".  Then it's a printed item and makes it really hard for them to do much with them.

If you set the prefs to 4 across and 5 down and the ppi to 150, when viewed at 100% the images are about 2" x 3".  Big enough for "proofs".  You can then make the sheet a PDF if you want.

I use to shoot some pre-schoolers portraits for a friend of mine every year..  That is exactly how I sent her the proofs.  Made the contact sheets and then emailed them to her.  She printed them and sent them to the parents to view.  They have the file numbers under each shot so ordering was easy.

Oct 14 17 04:31 am Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I give models Polaroids, then they get finished images if they want/need them.  I just make sure they're sufficiently good images.

Instant proofs are my best tool for inspiring confidence in models. When the roll film starts going, they need to trust me.

Oct 15 17 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

J Lanzara

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Never show all or give every photo you took. The model will always like the worst of the bunch and put it online with your name next to it, and that's what you'll be known for. Or the model tries her hand at PhotoShop Elements, and creates a mess of the image. I rarely provide more than 6 retouched images from a multi hour shoot in which different looks are photographed. A few shots from each look is sufficient. Anything more is redundant for both the photographer and model. Give the models very low res thumbnails if they want to obsess over themselves. There is only 1 best image and it's for you to decide on it. There's second best, and third. When you start handing over 10th best and 20th "best" - or, as with many photographers, the 200th and 300th "best" - you're at the point of handing over total garbage. Edit your 200 shots from a shoot down to the best few or maybe 5, unless it's a special muse or series that tells a story, and present only those to the world. If the model does 5 shoots and gets 3 great shots from each, then that is 15 good shots which is totally sufficient for a professionally oriented portfolio.

Dec 01 17 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Finished images only
If model requests I can show all images on my laptop face to face

Dec 01 17 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I had this happen at a nude shoot a few months ago. The model shows upget on set , strips, then tells me she won't do the shoot unless she receives all the images. I told her my policy was that I never give all the images. We went back and forth about an hour. I would have just ended it there but I already lost 1 hr of my two hour shoot time. The studio was rented and it was going to cost me $100 .

I caved in, but what I sent her were only 50 Kb in size. And I will never ever shoot with that model again. And I will bad mouth her to every photographer I can.

Dec 01 17 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Dixon

Brownsville, Texas, US

Mike Collins wrote:
For those who remember, when we shot 35mm for models, and it was usually black and white, we had no fear of giving them an actual contact sheet.  Really wasn't much they could do with them.  Images were small but they could at least see what the pose and expression was.  Even if they needed a lupe. 

So make a digital contact sheet.  PS still has that feature though I think you may have to add it from Adobe's site. Contact Sheet II.  File>Automate.   But just make them a digital contact sheet where the images are no more then say 2x3 and low res.  Just enough so they can see them but not be able to make them any bigger without seeing pixelization.  Or better yet, print them out.  Give them an actual "contact sheet".  Then it's a printed item and makes it really hard for them to do much with them.

If you set the prefs to 4 across and 5 down and the ppi to 150, when viewed at 100% the images are about 2" x 3".  Big enough for "proofs".  You can then make the sheet a PDF if you want.

I use to shoot some pre-schoolers portraits for a friend of mine every year..  That is exactly how I sent her the proofs.  Made the contact sheets and then emailed them to her.  She printed them and sent them to the parents to view.  They have the file numbers under each shot so ordering was easy.

I think this is what I will be doing. I don't like to send out unedited images but I do want to give the model the choice of what they want because their tastes aren't the same as mine.

Dec 01 17 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, no, maybe.

Depends on the relationship with the model.
One model I will only give a very few proofs because I know she will post everything. She gets all excited and loves everything.
Generally as many above. I only promise 20 proof images and 5 finished. I am flexible upward depending on how the shoot went and if I like the model.
Some new models want to see everything, so that they can learn what they are doing. See previous as to how to make those usable for learning and nothing else.
I have learned that models will like something different than you like. So I give them a choice of stuff that I am comfortable being public. I may not like them, but I do not hate them.
Lots of good answers so choose what works for you.

Dec 01 17 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I found a great solution to the whole "proof" issue.

Do all the proofing SAME time as the shoot!

We all have computers, laptops, & the like.

Do the shoot, load all the images into whatever image viewing program you use, & let the model choose their favorite images.
If they choose 20 images and you only agree to give them 2, then it is very easy to go to those 20 & do a A vs B comparison untill you get to the 2 favorites.
If you are paranoid the model will choose images that you hate, then while they are changing into street clothes, you can go through the set first & delete anything you don't wish the model to see.

At the end of the day, the model has seen (all the images), you both agree on how many have been chosen and both of you know what ones you get to retouch. DONE!

No need for dvd's, proof sheets, emails back & forth.....

If she NEEDS more images, cash is Queen!

Dec 01 17 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Ionalynn wrote:
I found a great solution to the whole "proof" issue.

Do all the proofing SAME time as the shoot!

We all have computers, laptops, & the like.

Do the shoot, load all the images into whatever image viewing program you use, & let the model choose their favorite images.
If they choose 20 images and you only agree to give them 2, then it is very easy to go to those 20 & do a A vs B comparison untill you get to the 2 favorites.
If you are paranoid the model will choose images that you hate, then while they are changing into street clothes, you can go through the set first & delete anything you don't wish the model to see.

At the end of the day, the model has seen (all the images), you both agree on how many have been chosen and both of you know what ones you get to retouch. DONE!

No need for dvd's, proof sheets, emails back & forth.....

If she NEEDS more images, cash is Queen!

This is a great and solution.
These days a majority of photographers has a laptop loaded with Lightroom or a similar tethering software. This is where you can rate frames as you go.
Communication is key here if editing styles are in play, discuss what post work can and will be done on selected images.
Once a final selection is made per agreement, it could be a good idea to state that upon delivery they may also receive a digital proof sheet for any future additional images the model wants to purchase.

Dec 02 17 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

There's many good comments, but it's already something we know about. As we can see, people have different policies. When models contact me, I prefer to see proofs instead of photoshopped out images. I don't think it's uncommon to give proofs. Many mass shooters like yearbooks, give proofs. It's not uncommon to write proof on images. And it's not uncommon to write proof all over images. I prefer to give a limited number of proofs, meaning Reduced quantity and size - thumbnails. Showing images on a computer is also fine, but doesn't work when you're on a time limit. One of the drawbacks of showing images immediately, is that it alludes that you can finish the work faster and/or download everything for the model.

Don't underestimate the models tech knowledge. Even if you only show proofs on a site (no download), an image on a browser can be taken, they can also do screenshots or take camera phone shots and post them.

Dec 03 17 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Mike Collins wrote:

Just tried the 4 by 5 and the images were too small for enought detail. With a dancer they need to see facial expression and hand placement. At 4x5 it falls apart and even I could not judge the expression when zoomed it. I found the 4x4 just works. Or perhaps 4x5 at 300ppi

Am I doing something wrong with the settings?

edit

4x4 at 300ppi works well for me to edit images. Feels like back in the day with a loupe. I can look at 16 images and quickly tell which are good, and there is enough detail that I can enlarge to see if, expression, hands and feet are working.
PITA is the first edit to get rid of the crap, then move the remainder to a folder and then get PS to make the contact sheets. Takes longer but seems to give better results, at least this time.
Tried to set it up in bridge, and cannot get it to be the same. It seems like it should be doable in bridge.
"Light Table" in the Output Module kind of works, but does not feel the same.

Dec 05 17 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Very rare, and not for just anybody. I don't really want less than my best out there. The few exceptions have been for a few newer models I'd worked with more than once and who wanted to study thumbnails to see what poses worked and which didn't. These were people I was mentoring to some extent, they wanted to learn, and they understood about not posting anything without prior discussion. I'd already given them better images to post.

Ironically, it's the newbies who sometimes ask. The really experienced models usually have hard drives full of images gathered a few at a time from a lot of photographers, and the last thing they need is another 500 images to try to keep track of or find time to look at. They tend to be happy with just a few.

Dec 06 17 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Lost Coast Photo wrote:
Very rare, and not for just anybody. I don't really want less than my best out there. The few exceptions have been for a few newer models I'd worked with more than once and who wanted to study thumbnails to see what poses worked and which didn't. These were people I was mentoring to some extent, they wanted to learn, and they understood about not posting anything without prior discussion. I'd already given them better images to post.

Ironically, it's the newbies who sometimes ask. The really experienced models usually have hard drives full of images gathered a few at a time from a lot of photographers, and the last thing they need is another 500 images to try to keep track of or find time to look at. They tend to be happy with just a few.

prove it is very rare. what metric are you using?

seriously. just because you don't do it why assume that others are the same. wedding, headshot, boudoir, fashion test photographers have been doing it for literally decades. personally I do a technical edit pass, then a creative edit pass to compact a shoot to 60-70% and then output proofs to web gallery or zip. I don't find the value in spending the time to narrow more than this. I retouch requested images and my selects depending on the project.

Dec 07 17 07:33 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Since I am only doing TFP and newbies I give all the RAW files via Dropbox.
http://lautermilchmodels.com/about/ is my offer to models.

Dec 07 17 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Go look on craigslist and you'll see casting calls that look just like this:

Internationally published photographer is coming to [your city] and is looking to do a photo shoot with a local model for publication submissions. I will provide you with all the photos s immediately after the shoot on CD or Flash Drive for your efforts.

...Or something to that effect. Of course if you get a glimpse of their portfolio it's filled with GWC images and nothing else. This mentality of turning everything over after the shoot is something that noob models ask for and noob photographers provide.

That's been my experience as well. At the other end, I've had well-experienced models ask me to NOT give them everything, please only the couple best, and only after editing, as they neither have the time to wade through all the out-takes nor the critical eye to pick out the very best from the lot, which they consider our job as the shooter. Also, the real pros amongst shooters recoil in horror at the thought of anything except their very best escaping "into the wild." You can, in fact, determine rather quickly who you really need to shoot with based on their skill and experience by determining their expectations on this particular score.

Dec 07 17 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Dan Howell wrote:
snip

wedding, headshot, boudoir, fashion test photographers have been doing it for literally decades. personally I do a technical edit pass, then a creative edit pass to compact a shoot to 60-70% and then output proofs to web gallery or zip. I don't find the value in spending the time to narrow more than this. I retouch requested images and my selects depending on the project.

For you time is money.

I tend to go one extra step. On personal stuff.

Second creative pass to narrow down to 20 images (or so) Which I send to the model for them to choose 5 for final. Depending on my mood I will also give them copies of my personal choices.

For agency models that i get from the agency, it is more work since there are going to be 3 sets of choices.
What I like. What the model likes.  And what the agency likes.
Not necessarily all the same.
I accept that as part of MY working with agency people.

And as Mike says, that has been my experience as well. Experienced models have so many, that all they need or want is perhaps one good one from each look (set). They may want unfinished 5 from each set, so that they can choose the one that suits them best, to be finished.

When discussing this, it needs repeating again.
The photographer wants the best that sells the image or their talents.
The model wants the best that sells them.
The customer wants the best that sells the product.

This should go without saying, but it often needs saying.

Dec 07 17 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

I see the thread is alive again!    All i can say is - hey, whatever.

Put me in the category of mortified if in an unreleased image is copied/duplicated.  Small resolution and heavily watermarked in whatever fashion is the most sensible approach for us.  Tethered and reviewing shots one by one is something we would likely do with clients only, on their dime as part of studio time.

While I agree limiting the output to the best of the best works well with pros and clients - it's helpful for those who are still developing to see what they are doing and learn from it by seeing everything - the worst looks are the best teaching tools ironically.   If they accidentally pose/look great 0.1% of the time and that's all they see - they will never know.

Dec 07 17 01:16 pm Link