Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Same source files for retouchers portfolios??

Photographer

Codis Inc

Los Angeles, California, US

I just began browsing the retouchers list here on the forums.  I noticed right away that different retouchers had retouching examples from the same photoshoots in their portfolios.  The retouching isn't identical, but in some cases it is the same exact image, or even another image from the same photoshoot.

So my question is, are these retouchers using the same source to get high end beauty photos, to retouch and use as examples of their work?  Or can I not trust that these retouchers are presenting their actual work?

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link directly to the profiles in question, but if so, I can provide.

Oct 10 17 04:45 pm Link

Retoucher

PJKPostproductions

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Codis Inc wrote:
I just began browsing the retouchers list here on the forums.  I noticed right away that different retouchers had retouching examples from the same photoshoots in their portfolios.  The retouching isn't identical, but in some cases it is the same exact image, or even another image from the same photoshoot.

So my question is, are these retouchers using the same source to get high end beauty photos, to retouch and use as examples of their work?  Or can I not trust that these retouchers are presenting their actual work?

I'm not sure if I am allowed to link directly to the profiles in question, but if so, I can provide.

Hey Codis smile
It's just most retouchers getting their images on the forums here where photographers give all (or most ) retouchers their images to use for the portfolio to build it up! smile

I am sure there are some retouchers that are stealing others work but I highly doubt it smile

Oct 10 17 05:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Clide RT

Newburgh, New York, US

on MM there is a section in the retouching forums where photographers let retouchers use their images on their portfolios, given they give credit of course. So that can easily be the reason why retouchers have the same images in their ports. Just for an example, I use some of those images as my examples on my social media accounts/MM too because why not. I mean unless they are exactly the same that would be worrying and I would stray away. The easiest way to remedy this would just to ask them to do a free (if it's not free then just pay them if you are really considering them anyway) test retouch.

Oct 10 17 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Codis Inc

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks guys, that's very helpful!

Oct 10 17 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

As others have pointed out this is due to MM establishing a forum for samples provided on TF basis. But I think there is a deeper aspect of it:

Although it is against the rules many photographers actually do use this as an opportunity to get retouching for free and get their name in credits around the web. Usually those shots are with fairly low grade pre-production, some are even not selected (they just publish a link to the whole shoot) and rely on the retoucher to make something out of nothing, so there is nothing high-end about them. But the most important thing is: All these shots are retouched with zero direction. So they don't reflect the ability of the retoucher to follow client requirements as in a real job. The result is: thousands of portfolios with similar content, mostly produced by people who don't or rarely have real work and "verified credits" not reflecting actual work for a client.

Oct 11 17 01:58 am Link