Forums > General Industry > Model Hourly Rates

Model

FreyaVesta

Tokoroa, Waikato, New Zealand

Hiya, I am just wanting to see what everyone expects to pay or be paid hourly? Including costumes.. I am not sure what to charge I have been asked this for a lingire shoot including costumes?

Oct 21 17 02:13 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Hopefully others from New Zealand will chime in. I do know rates can be very different from rates in the US. 
Hint: If the photographer's eyes light up when you quote a rate, it's too low. :-)

G Reese

Oct 21 17 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

My base rates are $300 to $500 with a credit toward prints.  In many cases, for a model with suitable looks, comfortable with being part of my art projects, I am willing to do trades, with a full release.  On rare occasions, I have paid models.  I've seen models quote rates from $7.50/hr to around $200 an hour for art and glamour nudes.  Actually, more or less the same range for commercial / fashion / lingerie. 

Good luck; there is a lot of information, and claims, floating around.

Oct 21 17 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoRealism

Dallas, Texas, US

FreyaVesta wrote:
Hiya, I am just wanting to see what everyone expects to pay or be paid hourly? Including costumes.. I am not sure what to charge I have been asked this for a lingire shoot including costumes?

Not sure how different rates are in your area than in America, but when I hire a model here in Dallas, TX, the rate depends on how much experience the model has and the type of shoot we are doing. For example, for nude modeling, $100/hour is a commonly quoted rate from models who have extensive experience. Some experienced models will work with a photographer and model nude for as little as $75/hour, but you aren't likely to find an experienced professional model to pose nude for less than that unless you are extremely well-connected or happen to know one well enough that you get some kind of "friend" discount.

For lingerie, experienced models commonly quote $75/hour, or slightly less if they are willing to negotiate.

Fully clothed modeling rates can be as low as $50/hour, but it would be cheap to ask any talented, professional model to work for less than $50/hour unless you are doing some sort of a trade shoot or you happen to be friends with the model.

Traveling costs (if any), the supplying of studio space or a shooting location, and being proficient with hair and makeup (not just basic makeup but actually being able to do MUA-quality beauty makeup) can increase a model's hourly rate, since these things can save the photographer money and/or hassle.

For inexperienced models, rates will be lower, and photographers here often will only work with an inexperienced model on a TF basis.

Oct 21 17 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

There is no correct answer, research what local models are asking for similar work.

Oct 21 17 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Hey OP,

I would suggest that you first truly understand that what you're doing is running a business.  Money leaving one entity for services from another can entail more than just the services rendered, the amount of hours worked, etc.  Please check with the tax and business authorities local to you before you accept even the first image as compensation, as even images can be seen as having a value in the business world.  Find out what is entailed by the government to form and remain a legal business.  Trying to fly beneath the radar is a recipe for disaster, no matter what anyone tells you.  It's only a matter of time before you'll get caught and jammed up over taxes and running an illegal business, so why not do it right from the start.

Once you understand what licenses, if any, are required and the cost to maintain them, check what other models in your local market are charging for the same or similar genres.  That will determine where your rates begin.  Sometimes what you need and what you make will be vastly different week to week, so how do you plan on covering that difference?  If you plan on doing this as your primary source of income, understand that being organized and having to engage with members of the public, many of whom may say or act inappropriately at times, is all part of what occurs in the business world.  At no time do I encourage or imply you should allow anyone to take advantage of you, just that you know how to handle those people effectively.  Being able to provide the type of model you are agreeing to be, being on time and at the agreed upon place wil all be factors that will affect how well you are perceived by those hiring you.  Only work in genres in which you are comfortable and don't let others push you into things that exceed your personal boundaries.  Please believe me when I say that people within a specific group, be it photographers or MUAs or models, talk among themselves.  One bad week can devastate your business.  The sixth or seventh dying grandmother can be the death of your business.  Honesty goes a long way.

I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.  You already have e beauty and the drive.  I am very sure you'll do the right things to be successful.  I only wish we were closer.  I'd happily help you get things in order.

Oct 21 17 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

That's like asking "how much is the rent on a 2 bedroom apartment?"  The answer depends on too many variables, like...

...  What is the local supply & demand of similar talent?
...  How well does the model meet the requirements of that particular job?
...  How "appealing" is the model, in terms of look, skill, experience, natural grace, etc.?
...  What is the project, and in particular, the project's budget?

And so forth.  Chances are that the people here on this forum don't know your local marketplace, nor can they address any of these other questions.  Sorry. 

You would be better off...
1)  Asking your question locally, especially asking local models of similar appeal, and
2)  Taking the time to learn business skills, like how to negotiate.

Oct 21 17 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

For non-nude work with a model of limited experience and who lies outside the specifications of a regular commercial model, the pay is likely to be inversely proportional to the photographer's ability.

For a lingerie shoot, I have heard claims of up to $100 an hour, but I have not heard them often and have never been confident that they were accurate.

Oct 21 17 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Modelographer

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It depends.

The market in NZ is going to be a lot different than that of North America where the vast majority of MMers are located, so keep that in mind. Here, plain ol' art and glamour nudes are typically around $100/hour with 2 hour minimums, give or take depending on locations, experience levels, etc. lingerie is usually less unless there are other unusual factors like commercial releases, fetish content involvement, extensive time or travel, etc.

In the end it's entirely up to you. Decide what your time is worth, and consider ALL the time it takes you to put together and complete a shoot (scheduling, travel, hair, makeup, styling, the actual shoot, etc) Decide what your image is worth. Find out what kind of release, if any, you're expected to sign and what the usage of those photos is worth to you (someone just shooting for fun whos going to put the photos on facebook is a lot different than someone trying to sell content to third parties) Consider any other factors that are important to you. If that total number is completely outlandish....reconsider. If that number is still too low for you to feel like the ordeal was worthwhile when its over, raise it.

Alternately, if you have someone specifically approaching you and asking for your rates, you can counter by asking them what their budget is and negotiate from there. If they offer you say $200 then you decide how many hours, outfit changes, location changes, whatever they get for that price.

Oct 21 17 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

As I know NZ very well, most people who have never lived there will have difficulty giving good advice. It's much easier to set up a business in New Zealand, it much less beaureucratic than the states. The problem in charging a lot is that top down the advertising rates for models are much lower than in the U.S., lower than in Canada. It's a small market for commercial work.

Because this model may have to drive quite a distance, gasoline is more expensive. Put your day rate somewhere between $350 and $500 for photographers and if it is a photographer hiring you, it will be hard to get him to spring for more money for wardrobe.

Good luck, dear.

Oct 21 17 07:43 pm Link