Forums > Model Colloquy > How Have Things Changed...

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

... from when you first started modeling?

How have you changed?

Oct 24 17 12:46 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

IDiivil wrote:

How have you changed?

In 1987 when I first started modelling, everything was word of mouth because there was no internet. You got modelling assignments by calling colleges, galleries and so on and letting them know you were interested and available. I would also drop by in person after talking to whoever was in charge of hiring models, show them some photos of what I had previously done, and perhaps leave them a printed sheet with my statistics, contact information, and a couple of small photos for their files. If you were lucky enough to already know someone else who was a model, or a photographer or artist, they would also give you leads who else to contact. By posing for groups of artists, photographers, students you would make more contacts and friends of friends would contact you to model for them, or for their group. It took a while for someone new to get established and make enough contacts so they got regular offers of work.

Now having the ability to show your work online using places like Model Mayhem has made it a lot easier to connect with people you might be interested in working with.  In addition, for the first 20 years or so everything that was photographed was done on film, and there was no way to see what exactly had been captured until the film was developed. Photographers tended not to take nearly as many shots as they do now with digital equipment. I see that the introduction of affordable digital cameras has made it possible for many people who never considered being a photographer before to get involved with photography even if just as a hobby.

Over the past 30 years I have changed from being quite shy and reserved, to being more open to trying a variety of different genres. I had always wanted to model since I was in my teens, but never took the opportunities that were there. It was difficult to get out of my clothes the first time at age 35 and pose in front of a group of artists, but I decided that I was going to and that's exactly what I did. I originally thought I would be modelling mostly for artists doing life drawing or painting in classrooms or privately, but that quickly changed because some of the artists were also involved in photography, and many of the artists I worked with wanted to take reference photos of my poses to work from at a more convenient time. I realized that I looked good in photos and artwork with my clothes off and pursued more work with photographers. In addition to growing older, I have learned a lot about myself by modelling naked hundreds of times during those 30 years.  I have always told people that this was the single most empowering thing I could ever have done for myself as a woman.  Now I am finding that I enjoy trying other new and different things.

Oct 24 17 05:44 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well, I got some of my first ever modeling jobs from fliers posted in physical art supply stores and in the newspaper. In the early 2000s, "networking" for gigs meant calling numbers you'd collected from paper notices that people posted around town on public corkboards.

Oct 24 17 10:01 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

IDiivil wrote:

How have you changed?

Hi,
I started at age 46 and now at 51 I enjoy it more. It is not my paid profession though, that might be a difference.

Jen

Oct 29 17 09:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jen B wrote:

Hi,
I started at age 46 and now at 51 I enjoy it more. It is not my paid profession though, that might be a difference.

Jen

WELCOME BACK !!!

Oct 29 17 05:36 pm Link