Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What does "being rich" mean to you?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

rxz wrote:
OK, so I don't live in a mansion with servants, drive a Maybach, or fly around the world every year.  But I'm happy and content.

Me, too, mostly.  Lately, I've been thinking that I'd love someone else to do my laundry.

Oct 31 17 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rxz wrote:
but I guess it's all relative.

It certainly is.

I still remember when I was rich.

It was after college and some time of trying to find a real job, doing crappy work in the meantime. I finally landed a "real" job, complete with an actual salary... $12K/year. We got paid monthly, so that was gross pay of a whopping $1K each month (don't remember what the net pay was).

I felt rich!  It was a wonderful feeling.

Of course as the years went by, the pay kept going up but so did the expenses. I eventually could afford an apartment without a roommate, and finally my own house (actually my first house was shared with a GF). The pay kept going up, but the vacations, entertainment, expenses, taxes and everything else tended to keep going up too. Eventually, after many years and lots of hard work, I could finally graduate from living paycheck-to-paycheck and start to actually plan for the future.

I could afford a car that didn't have a 50/50 chance of leaving me stranded on the way to work... I could go out to a nice dinner once in a while and actually buy a bunch of groceries all at once. I could take a decent vacation now and then. Comparing my life at any point to 5 or 10 years earlier I could really measure the difference... there was always a gradual momentum forward.

But, nothing compared with that very first feeling of becoming "rich" virtually overnight when I got that first "real" job!

Oct 31 17 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Me, too, mostly.  Lately, I've been thinking that I'd love someone else to do my laundry.

Hire someone.

Oct 31 17 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Hire someone.

I could, but it's not my nature.  I'm okaying hiring someone who can do work I can't do (or do well), but I have a hard time hiring someone to do work that I can do but don't wanna.  Go figure.

Oct 31 17 11:19 am Link