Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Mortgage Closing

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I refinanced my house today.  I had 18 years left on a 30 year mortgage at 6.125% -- got a 15 year mortgage @ 3.5%.  Will save ~$100,000 over the life of the loan, and my PITI is $200 less each month.  Deal.

But closing -- my goodness.  I've closed maybe a dozen mortgages in my time, but nowadays, it is sooooo complicated, with new & complicated & redundant forms!  I'm experienced with mortgages & closings, but it still took my 2 hours & maybe 50 signatures to close that loan.

I just know that each form was probably inspired by some lawsuit in the recent past.  And I know that each form is for the benefit of the bank before it benefits the borrower.

Just had to comment.

Oct 25 17 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
And I know that each form is for the benefit of the bank before it benefits the borrower.

Well, they're the ones taking all the risk in lending you their money.

Oct 25 17 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

And I know that each form is for the benefit of the bank before it benefits the borrower.

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Well, their background checks border on invasive. 

They know that I've had 8-10 mortgages in my day, paid off 3, and never missed a payment in 30+ years of real estate ownership.

They know that I've paid on time for 12 years (of a 30 year mortgage) on the current property.

They know that my new P&I would be $200+ less than the old P&I.

They know I have an investment portfolio worth 40x than the amount of the loan.

What risk?

Oct 26 17 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Well, their background checks border on invasive.

If I were to lend you a big chunk of money I sure as heck would want to find out as much as possible about you.

Now if you borrow a big chunk of money from your local loan shark Bruno, you'll learn what a real evil lender is like!

Oct 26 17 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I know its an ordeal but I am glad the banks have stepped it up on some things. They always in the past have pendulum swung to extremes. Early 90's you had to be a Rockefeller to get a loan. Early 2000's any beating heart and probably bunch that didn't even have that got loans all willy nilly here yah go have a quarter mill. Then CRASH! and everyone is scratching their heads. There have been loads of dooms day sayers and they had some grounding that a bigger still crash is looming. I think better stable practices have helped hold it back. Perhaps the longer they do the less devastating it may be possibly to the point of a market stability that just plain holds it own. That would be pretty nice, as long as the gubmnent doesn't come along and cause it. It all seems ok for the moment. sometimes a dreaded crash creates a new market all together bulit on the bones of avoidable folly, but that's another thread.

Oct 27 17 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Warren Buffet, one of the richest people in the world, says that it's easier for his secretary to get a loan than for him to get one.  The difference?  The secretary can confirm her income & Buffet can't.

One additional note from this current experience.  Here in Oregon, the property tax bills get mailed out in mid-October and were due in early November.  For the property that I'm refinancing, I've been paying into an escrow account -- by closing at the end of October, I'm in limbo.  The old mortgage company is sitting on the ~$14K for taxes but hasn't paid it yet, and the title company insists on getting that ~$14K from me at closing.  So, I get to pay the property tax twice this year (and trust that someone is going to eventually refund me ~$14K.  That will probably take months.  Grrr.

Lesson learned:  coordinate the timing with the due date for your property tax.

Oct 27 17 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

nope. With some banks, the borrowers taking an enormous risk, facing almost a certainty of the bank cheating him.

Wells Fargo is currently defending against about half a dozen major lawsuits each for around $1 billion. These include forced insurance, various bogus charges, and the best-known scam: opening fraudulent accounts in the customer's name without the customers knowledge… And then billing for service charges on those accounts.

Many of the mortgage servicing companies and banks, are unethical. So the borrower does take considerable risk especially with banks like Wells Fargo.

The "all the risk" claim is also false because the bank holds title to the home, which the bank holds  as collateral.

Oct 27 17 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
The "all the risk" claim is also false because the bank holds title to the home, which the bank holds  as collateral.

No, the bank doesn't hold the title to the home... the buyer/owner does. The bank has a lien, which is different. The bank can't sell your home or anything like that without holding the title.... one has to default on the loan before any of that can happen.

Oct 27 17 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

It's not all their money.  Money on deposit (checking, savings, cds, etc) are liabilities.  That money belongs to the depositors.  Money from sold stock is a little different.  Stock holders are now part owners of the bank.  And they expect dividends from their investment or appreciation of the stock's value, or both.  Loans are the bank's assets.  They make some of their money on the interest. For loans, the goal is to get all the money back to cover their liabilities.  The bank makes money by collecting more interest than they pay out and with service fees.

Oct 28 17 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rxz wrote:
It's not all their money.  Money on deposit (checking, savings, cds, etc) are liabilities.  That money belongs to the depositors.  Money from sold stock is a little different.  Stock holders are now part owners of the bank.  And they expect dividends from their investment or appreciation of the stock's value, or both.  Loans are the bank's assets.  They make some of their money on the interest. For loans, the goal is to get all the money back to cover their liabilities.  The bank makes money by collecting more interest than they pay out and with service fees.

Yes, obviously that's all true. All I meant was that they're lending you the money, so they're the ones getting stuck with the problem if you fail to pay it back as agreed. If I was to lend someone big money for something, I would be the one writing the contract as best as I could to try and lessen my risk in the event the borrower defaults.

I sincerely doubt that any legitimate bank (including their shareholders, depositors, etc.) actually wants any outcome other than for the borrower to pay the money back as agreed.  Unfortunately, the more people do default and claim "I didn't know I had to pay it back" or some such thing, the more the bank's legal department has to try and put everything into legalese to try and cover themselves in courts. The more legalese they include, the better your odds are of convincing a jury that you didn't understand it.  I guess it becomes a bit of a vicious cycle after a while.

Maybe we should go back to simple, one-page contracts. "We're lending you $300K. You pay us $1795.50 every month on the 1st until December 1st 2047. If you don't, we'll take your house and break your legs".

Oct 28 17 11:00 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

...... I like the forms asking for You to verify that You were the person who signed the last form. smile

I tried to sell a Home to an Attorney before, He took one look at the standard P.A.R. Agreement of Sale and said 'There's no way I'm signing that'

Oct 28 17 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
...... I like the forms asking for You to verify that You were the person who signed the last form. smile

Then they'll have yet another form.... "Was it you who signed form B confirming that it was really you who signed form A?"

Oct 28 17 11:25 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's the government and lawyers that have added to the burden of getting a loan.

Oct 28 17 03:16 pm Link