Forums > Photography Talk > Importance of "Candid" Photos

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

Outside of agency stuff:

How important are candids, behind the scenes, etc to you as a photographer when considering a model?

Nov 08 17 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've taken some great candid shots that I love at the Shootout.

Nov 08 17 11:26 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I've taken some great candid shots that I love at the Shootout.

Do you like to see candid photos of models when making your decision on whether to book them?

Nov 09 17 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I would say not needed. Although one model posts selfies of her current look periodically.

Nov 09 17 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

For me, it’s very important.

If I have the time, I will always check out a models Instagram and sometimes, but not always, their Facebook as well.

Instagram, in particular, can be fascinating.  Some models only ever post selfies but some post pictures of their dogs and cats, their food, their art, their whole life.

I find it all incredibly helpful.  But I don’t think it’s always so helpful from the models point of view.

A couple of years back I met a model and her boyfriend at a party.  After which she friended me on Facebook.

I noticed very quickly that (1) she really only had one expression in professionally taken photographs (2) she was totally self-obsessed and (3) she didn’t seem like a very nice person.

Had we never have connected on social media, I guess I would never have know that.  She lives very close to me and I’m absolutely sure I would at least have tested with her.

She's unfriended me now.  We had zero social media interaction, so I don’t really know why.  Maybe she didn’t like me either.  My politics or music choices or something.  I guess it works both ways.

Nov 09 17 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Candies are mildly interesting, behind the scenes not .  Neither helps me make a decision about the model

Nov 09 17 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

IDiivil wrote:
Do you like to see candid photos of models when making your decision on whether to book them?

It's not necessary.  I usually book models who know how to pose.
I first became interested in working with you when I saw your Cherrystone photos.   smile

Nov 09 17 04:29 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Not necessary, but it's a plus if I can see a recent shot that isn't retouched and shows skin condition and that the model still looks like the images in her portfolio.

Nov 09 17 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I would say not needed....  I take a hard look at the book, or online folio...

Nov 09 17 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

If they don't have current photos in their portfolio, or, if the photos are too artsy, I like to see what they currently look like.  I often visit their social media.  But, yeah, it'd be nice if there's a polaroid section in the portfolio...and, is actually being maintained with current look.

As for BTS, nah.  I don't need to see 'em.

Nov 09 17 09:34 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

IDiivil wrote:

Unedited "Polaroid" equivalents can be very important.

Candid "I'm drinking some peppermint tea", "out for sushi with the gang", "hiking in Peru", "I voted!", "my dog and I have the same hat" photographs, or BTS shots, are unimportant to me. The more of those types of images I have to sift through to find the shots that demonstrate a model's talent and skillset, the less likely I am to work with that person.

A caveat to the above is that I appreciate candids which demonstrate a model's other creative abilities (sketching, dance, acting, painting) because I enjoy working with artistic people.

Nov 09 17 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

IDiivil wrote:
Outside of agency stuff:

How important are candids, behind the scenes, etc to you as a photographer when considering a model?

Showing candids and lifestyle is exactly how the major agencies like models to use their Instagram (sans BTS.)
Its very important for booking purposes and why Instagram accounts are linked to a models's online book.

I think the same would apply to a non nude freelance model smile

Nov 09 17 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

all I need is a relatively un-messed around with face shot
and something that reasonably accurately shows what you look like... bikini or something

the rest of the pix I look at to see if they have more than one expression

Nov 09 17 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

IDiivil wrote:
Outside of agency stuff:

Those are completely irrelevant to me.  I want to see the model's best work.

The port and profile are your resume.  You have 30 seconds to show me what you have done.  What do you do as a model?  What type of work do you do?  What have you accomplished in front of the camera?  Whatever you present is what you are.  You can present too much information.

Each week I browse local active models in the area, along with casting calls and availability announcements.  I'm looking through 100+ models.  The avatar is the first screening item.  If the model passes that, then it's the profile for a few seconds.  Likewise, if the model passes that, the port is viewed.  If it looks good, I look to see if the port is current.  Has she been working lately and consistently, or is it a stale port?  Do her photos match her profile?

Unless the candid or bts shot is extraordinarily good, a weak photo says to me the model doesn't care about her work.  Someone mentioned Instagram.  One time photos on IG encouraged a shoot with a model, while another time photos on IG discouraged it.  In both cases I started out neutral with the models.

Nov 09 17 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have no use for BTS photos.

Candid photos are only useful if I am trying to see something beyond what is in their portfolio such as how capable they are with hair and makeup on their own (as opposed to working with MUA/stylist as they may have in the portfolio images).

A well lit headshot with reasonably natural makeup and hair tells me most of what I need to know.  The rest of the images in the portfolio tell me about the model's ability to pose/emote etc. 

Candid photos and BTS photos in a model's portfolio are more of a distraction.  I would prefer these to stay on Facebook etc. for those that want to go look at them.  Keep the portfolio as finished images.

Nov 10 17 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

This kind of thing means nothing - I only want to see how the model does in front of a camera in a professional situation.  I'm constantly amazed by models with awful portfolios and selfies trying to demand paying work only.  Show me the money!  :-)

Nov 10 17 12:03 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

To be clear, my question wasn't intended to discuss models putting candids/bts work in their portfolio. I think the general consensus for portfolios is that the images should be professionally done save for maybe an agency style Polaroid photo or few.

This is more along the lines of, "Do you go out of your way to see non-professional images of models you are considering for whatever reason (better feel of who and how they are, etc)?"

Thank you for all the responses otherwise. It's interesting to see the effect (if any) that social media usage may have on bookings.

Nov 10 17 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

IDiivil wrote:
To be clear, my question wasn't intended to discuss models putting candids/bts work in their portfolio. I think the general consensus for portfolios is that the images should be professionally done save for maybe an agency style Polaroid photo or few.

This is more along the lines of, "Do you go out of your way to see non-professional images of models you are considering for whatever reason (better feel of who and how they are, etc)?"

Thank you for all the responses otherwise. It's interesting to see the effect (if any) that social media usage may have on bookings.

Yes I do. When agencies send me "availability/test packages" I always look at their digitals & IG before choosing a girl

Nov 10 17 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

IDiivil wrote:

Sometimes I do. If I'm on the fence about hiring them based on their portfolio pictures, I'll go looking for other photos outside their portfolio. I don't care where they are posted or whether they are "candid" or not, I'm just accumulating as many data points as possible before making a decision.

I will say that, at least in my case, having more photos available will never hurt you and can only help you. If I go looking for photos outside the model's portfolio, it is not because I am trying to find a reason to reject her, but rather because I am trying to find a reason to hire her.

Nov 10 17 04:31 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

GoldRoseMedia wrote:

I will say that, at least in my case, having more photos available will never hurt you and can only help you. If I go looking for photos outside the model's portfolio, it is not because I am trying to find a reason to reject her, but rather because I am trying to find a reason to hire her.

This has always been a point of interest for me. A lot of photographers (clients, etc) do want to see more images, but making an effort to provide them (even on a totally separate platform like Tumblr) can run into the following counter criticisms:

1. Over time, images may no longer be up to date and may not show the model's current appearance

2. Quality or quantity? Inevitably, an overabundance of photos will always rank some images weaker than others.

3. Risk of repetition. If the model is frequently hired for one specific style, it may be harder to find the other unique bits s/he can offer on set since you'll be sifting through so many of what s/he's generally being brought on to do.

Considering you have the 'best of the best' portfolio to look through first, are these valid concerns for a model to have when showing more work via tumblr, FB, etc?

Nov 10 17 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

If you have the 'best of the best' portfolio to look through first, then in my case, I would be very unlikely to go searching anywhere else for more images of you as part of deciding on whether to hire you or not.

Nov 10 17 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

IDiivil wrote:
"Do you go out of your way to see non-professional images of models you are considering for whatever reason (better feel of who and how they are, etc)?"

Mostly the same answer - don't really care too much if the work is good to begin with.  I can see where it might help - or possibly hurt - depending on what's there.  I've had models show up looking nothing like their "good" photos....better and worse.   Social can also reveal elements one doesn't want to know about - or ones we wished we had known about in advance - so it might just be a two edged sword.

Nov 11 17 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I was just going to lurk today, but this got interesting.

The way I do things is a little different than best practices.
I am not that good a judge of potential from a candid. I need some finished images to tell me how the model can possibly look. Sometimes a plain Jane or Bill has the bone structure to become amazing in the right hands. Sometimes I can tell that.

Candid's give you fundamentals. Finished images give you potential results.

If I have to go out of my way to see some candids of the model, I am likely to take a pass. I have never followed someone onto IG, but looking at stuff on FB does give me further info. If I have looked at 20 images and not decided, I am not likely to go any further. Normally 20 is all I need. 50 images, all with the same dead expression are almost guaranteed to make me go "next", unless that is what I am looking for.

If I like the looks to start, I may look for some candid shots to see the starting point.

Otherwise, some of all the above.

Nov 11 17 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

They are not important when I look for a model, but I do like to take a couple of them during my photo shoot. As a side note I still have you on my "wishlist" of models to work with! smile

Nov 12 17 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Far more useful than the carefully executed "good" photos they may have. "Polaroids", candids, even  unretouched and unfiltered selfies offer the clearest view of the model for me.

Nov 12 17 04:38 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

If you're concerned about diluting your portfolio just use a separate platform for more candid/bts content.

I don't really need to see candids but I work with bloggers and not girls who consider themselves models so the difference between bts and posted content is not big anyway.

Nov 12 17 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

Of zero importantance.
I only want to see professional photos, so I can see how the model works with a professional in a professional enviroment.

A major reason for me rejecting models in a fraction of second is that they have amateur style images on their portfolio. Even if I could accept it, I certainly couldn't pass it along to my client.

Nov 13 17 01:28 am Link

Model

IDiivil

R_Marquez wrote:
If you're concerned about diluting your portfolio just use a separate platform for more candid/bts content.

I don't really need to see candids but I work with bloggers and not girls who consider themselves models so the difference between bts and posted content is not big anyway.

Photography by Riddell wrote:
Of zero importantance.
I only want to see professional photos, so I can see how the model works with a professional in a professional enviroment.

A major reason for me rejecting models in a fraction of second is that they have amateur style images on their portfolio. Even if I could accept it, I certainly couldn't pass it along to my client.

To reiterate again, this is NOT about candids in a portfolio...

This is also a question of preference and theory regarding it... It has zero to do with me personally, my marketing style, or my portfolio.

Nov 13 17 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

IDiivil wrote:

That clarification is helpful.  I do often look at Facebook accounts and other social media, more to get an idea of the person's character than to see what they look like.

Nov 15 17 05:39 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

For me: I only shoot agency models now and, therefore, candids of their real life I may look at, but the decision revolves around stats, bone structure, etc. depending whether it is swimwear or beauty and that means digitals/polaroids, and  portfolio.

On commercial shoots I don't select the model, which is rather good. It's a lot of work to find ms.right.

Nov 15 17 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Fixed Focus Fotography

Athens, Ohio, US

For me, yes I do like to see the range of work a model does, and I like to get an idea of what kind of person they are.  Most platforms give the viewer a good idea of the date a picture is posted, but of course, that doesn't tell when the picture was taken, which is the case here at MM.  So I think it is easy to figure out how current photos posted to IG, Tumblr, FB or elsewhere are.  A side benefit is that it also can give a fuller picture of the model's interests and life outside of modeling, which gives me a little more information to base some of the off topic chatter that we engage in.  I have seen models relax and get more comfortable after a little chit chat about some topic or activities she is interested in, and her posing then gets more creative.  For me those extra "candid" pictures do help

Nov 15 17 01:14 pm Link