Forums > Photography Talk > Share your good "long lighting" for education

Photographer

RoyMayh

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Hello, everyone.
Can anyone share their examples or off the net  images of good versions of "long lighting".
I tried mine and it looks boring, compared to the same setup when the model turns their face and it becomes good short lighting that I am happy with.

A general survey of online high level images seems to suggest to me that short lighting is way more preferred by "top level magazine" photographers when shooting in a studio. (Although both are rare compared to butterfly/clam/glam setups).

Any "secret ingredient" that I am missing? Any education is appreciated.

Nov 18 17 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think the proper term is Broad Lighting not long lighting.

Nov 18 17 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Can you show some samples?

Nov 18 17 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

As mentioned, it's called "Broad" lighting, not "long" lighting. 

And yes, I think most do prefer short.  However you will find it's never just the lighting.  It's everything else as well.  And if it works, it works. 

A perfect example is perhaps two of the most famous portraits ever.  Karsh's Churchill and Hemmingway.  Both are broad lit.  But it's the craftsmanship and expression that make those portraits.  Especially Churchill's anger over the cigar. 

https://karsh.org/overview/#0

https://karsh.org/overview/#6

Nov 19 17 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

RoyMayh wrote:
Hello, everyone.
Can anyone share their examples or off the net  images of good versions of "long lighting".
I tried mine and it looks boring, compared to the same setup when the model turns their face and it becomes good short lighting that I am happy with.
Any "secret ingredient" that I am missing? Any education is appreciated.

Lots of us choose the lighting based on the subject and the mood or feeling we want to create... Long or short lighting may make some one who has a fat round face like me seem a little trimmer (for me that is really not possible)  the mood could be enhanced with long lighting and deep shadows....or a different feeling of the same  subject could come from  short lighting and minimal shadows .....Try not to get stuck on one type of light and don't shy away from one kind of light...this could really limit your images and creativity...as for the "secret ingredient" ..when you find it...let me know!.
Keep at it...for Some of us it is a life long learning adventure....
Good Luck

Nov 21 17 09:57 am Link

Photographer

RoyMayh

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Thanks everyone.
Yes, sorry, massive brain fart, BROAD lighting, not "long" lighting, apologies.

I think I am getting my answer more or less.
The examples of Churchill and Hemingway were helpful.

Nov 21 17 03:32 pm Link