Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Paleontology is so Weird!

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Scientists unearth new dinosaur that looks like odd mix of duck, croc, ostrich, swan.

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2017/12/06/36e5d521-da8d-4a5e-89d5-e76fccb459e9/resize/620x/8c1072adfe1ddc8ea47ef3b327195285/halszkaraptor-lukas-panzarin.jpg

I love stories like this.  I've been fascinated by dinosaurs since I was a child.

Dec 06 17 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Is that one o' those ones that look cute  .  .  .  and then turn around and eat ya when ya least expect it  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Dec 06 17 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The economic impact of those working in Paleontology is HUGE!
Nearly all of the unconsolidated sedimentary strata which hold the vast oil reserves of the world are mapped vertically by the rapidly evolving species "Foraminifera" whose "tests" a.k.a. shells are a unique bio-marker that is used to precisely date the vertical layers...

I had to study invertebrate paleontology at a university and it was an intriguing window back through time... a real eye opener...
Petroleum companies were actually recruiting straight from the classrooms at that juncture...
While I did time with a little outfit call Shell Oil life on a drilling rig seriously left something to be desired... lol

Yes I stared into a microscopy for endless hours at the cuttings brought up to the surface by the drilling mud...
Foraminifera taxonomy is still much in demand if you are seeking an interesting career...

Thanks for sharing...

Dec 06 17 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

sospix wrote:
Is that one o' those ones that look cute  .  .  .  and then turn around and eat ya when ya least expect it  .  .  .  wink

The article says that it was only 18 inches tall.

Dec 06 17 07:38 pm Link