Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Did Gifts & What To Do With Them?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Ever receive a gift that was a dud?  Ever give one?  What happened.

My sister gave me a heated foot massager for the holidays.  Nice thought, but I have big feet (that don't fit into the thing) and peripheral neuropathy (so I can't feel that massage very well).  Oh, well, it's the thought that counts.  I'll try it again, but I suspect this won't last.

You?

Dec 08 17 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Boudoir Studio

Santa Clarita, California, US

Say Thank You.... Re-Gift.

Dec 08 17 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Boudoir Studio wrote:
Say Thank You.... Re-Gift.

Yeah, that's my default answer, too.

But I'm looking for folks to share stories about receiving or giving gifts that "missed the mark".

Here's one:  one of my earliest memories is when my mother gave me a gift wrapped holiday or birthday present.  I was very young.  The present?  Underwear!  I was expecting a toy, any toy.  But underwear?  I remember having a big melt down temper tantrum.  Must have been really traumatic -- like I said, it's one of my earliest memories.

Dec 08 17 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

My oldest Daughter bought Me an electric fireplace, I don't do electric fireplaces and this thing cost way more than She should have spent at the time. This was 3 Years ago, it's still sitting here in the box.

When I was young I had a huge childhood crush on one of My Mothers friends, a gorgeous Woman, I may have been 8. One time My Mother announced that Her friend was stopping by with a gift for My Birthday. I was geeked.......underwear! 

total meltdown.

Dec 09 17 05:44 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Underwear was a very common gift for birthdays and holidays when I was growing up, you pretty much got used to it and knew to expect it. It was thought to be quite practical, something everyone needed. Getting a package of socks was just as common as getting a package of underpants. As long as other gifts were also part of the event, you just politely accepted the practical stuff and got excited about the better things.

Many people put handmade items near the top of the list for things they won't use, such as a sweater someone knitted or craft projects that obviously weren't skillfully done.  Other dud gifts are those big tins of popcorn, and fruitcake.  I don't know anyone who likes, or will even eat a tiny sample of fruitcake, and have a hard time finding someone to regift to.

Dec 09 17 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

{mumble, mumble, mumble}  Underwear.  Not a good gift, especially to a 3 year old boy.  Maybe to a young adult lover, but no one else.  Why would anyone think that underwear (especially non-sexy underwear) is a good gift?

My U.K. friends seemed to love fruitcake.  Culture differences?

I always appreciate handmade gifts, especially the edible kind, even when the results are sub-par.  Got no problems there.

Dec 09 17 08:11 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When I was younger the aunts and uncles tried doing small gifts for all the kids. Every single year I got "art stuff" because everybody knew I was "into art"

Except I was using acrylics and pastels and whatnot at like 10 and they still wanted to get me the crayons and shitty chalky watercolor sets you'd give a 4 year old. And ALL of them did this, so I got multiple small child "art sets" a year. They got re-gifted to small child toy drives a lot.

Dec 09 17 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Not me, but my Mom. She is a big quilter. Makes them by hand. She won't even use a sewing machine to stitch them. She has a small spare bedroom where she keeps her quilting stuff. Her then boyfriend bought her a quilting frame/machine for Christmas one year. This thing takes up more than half of her available room space. I unpacked it, put it together, and and then couldn't get it out of the room because it was too big to fit through the door. I literally had to climb over a chair to get around the thing.

Ended up selling it on craigslist for $100. It probably cost 5X that amount.

Dec 10 17 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
When I was younger the aunts and uncles tried doing small gifts for all the kids. Every single year I got "art stuff" because everybody knew I was "into art"

Except I was using acrylics and pastels and whatnot at like 10 and they still wanted to get me the crayons and shitty chalky watercolor sets you'd give a 4 year old. And ALL of them did this, so I got multiple small child "art sets" a year. They got re-gifted to small child toy drives a lot.

One guideline I follow for gift-giving is "Don't give gifts where the recipient is a domain expert and you are not." The only exception is when you know that the recipient wants something very specific - and even then, get the specific thing and not something "close."

Dec 10 17 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

One Christmas my now ex wife was hinting that she wanted an iPhone. That was way out of my budget so i got her an iRon instead, Steam and everything. She didn't see the humor in that gift, even though she could have put it to good use smile

Dec 10 17 10:57 am Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Why would anyone think that underwear (especially non-sexy underwear) is a good gift?

Don't blame me!  Your parents wrote it on your list while you weren't looking.

Dec 10 17 05:41 pm Link