Forums > Critique > Female Model Portfolio Critique Request

Model

Laura_o55555

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi all, I have a new look (went from brunette to blonde) so I have re-done my book from scratch. Would anyone mind critiquing it? Let me know what I'm missing? I am currently submitting to agencies for both modeling and acting and am trying to have everything I might need prepared. All advice is welcome! thanks

Dec 14 17 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

You're a beautiful woman with a wonderful figure. Your portfolio needs to demonstrate that much more. You only have 6-7 images in there and they only really show you in two poses.
Shoot more images and get a more varied portfolio and come back and ask again.
Hope this helps.

Dec 15 17 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Karen Engel Photography

Manteca, California, US

I agree - it's a good start but you need much more versatility.

Dec 15 17 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Laura_o55555 wrote:
...Let me know what I'm missing?

Laura, please allow me to cut to the chase here...
Your full length swimwear imagery is virtually useless owing to excessive lens flare caused back-lighting... The photographer should have known better...

Reality check.... at 5' 7" fashion modeling isn't likely an option in a major market... Also you need a facial profile image...  Nearly everyone's nose can be made to look good in a frontal perspective, agencies need to see both frontal and profile views. 

Laura_o55555 wrote:
I am currently submitting to agencies for both modeling and acting...

Bottom Line? Agencies want a strong head-shot with little or no makeup and no hair styling... and a profile view... btw, I have had agencies reject images I've done for them that didn't show teeth... so have at least one image smiling which shows upper teeth... Not lower teeth which is glamour and to be avoided...   

Now the hard part... To be seriously considered for acting you will need to be highly accomplished at doing "Cold Reads"  which oft can be a challenge to those who don't have acting experience... This is best mastered by practice and competent coaching...

Now the good news.... You are an a major market Laura and that is priceless...

I wish you well on your journey Laura...
And I totally agree with the other posters above... You are the essence of feminine elegance...
Possibly only your height is a factor playing into your quest to get agency signed...
Enough said...

Dec 15 17 11:22 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

In general, headshots are good. Too many of the full body images are poor as far as image quality (exposure and focus). I'd also suggest working on expressions. What you are lacking are high quality images. Your potential is excellent.

Dec 21 17 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Overall, I'd say you have a pretty good start on your portfolio.  Some of your outdoor images appear to be blown-out and over-exposed by a few stops (possible harsh backlighting).  About an hour east of you... sent a friend request.  Maybe we can work together in the near future... wink

Dec 22 17 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171214/11/5a32cdc4b89ee_m.jpg
When I look at your profile photo my thought wow this is going to be a great portfolio to view.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171219/15/5a399e37eefaf_m.jpg
Then I see this one and I am disappointed, it looks like the kids game “Simon Say’s” Touch your head, now touch your hip
Details; you look so washed out in this image, your body head are just square to the camera, the picky part strap from top to bottom is twisted by belly button [The simple fix would have been to spin the top around once]

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171214/11/5a32cdad85530_m.jpg
For me this is the second best photo next to your profile photo
[Wishing the tip of your right foot toes were all in the image]

You have a great look, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I wish you well

Dec 23 17 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Self - Deleted for double post.

Dec 26 17 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Reading everyone else's replies first so I don't repeat. (all solid advice). The only thing I can add is adding some lifestyle editorial shots. Piggybacking on the 5'7" comment that you may not be suited for high fashion modeling and runway, you certainly "photograph tall" and would be great at lifestyle/catalog work.

Your swimsuits shots show that you look great in a swimsuit, but those photographs are not suited for a catalog. HOWEVER, they do show that you would look great in a swimsuit and does show off your potential when booking swimsuit catalog gigs where the photographer knows to ease up on the sun flare.

Remember, a model port is supposed to show your potential, and the images therein are not meant to be used themselves. (A photographer's port, is to show skill level and style.)

Good luck to you, and much success on your career.

Dec 26 17 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

You need more Lifestyle / Fitness and less swim. Actually the only swim you need are digitals in a bikini.

Dec 27 17 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Has the OP gone to open calls? If so, what do the agencies say? If not, why not?

Dec 27 17 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Nelson Photos

West Hollywood, California, US

I tell new models that they need about 12 good photos (1/3 studio, 2/3 lifestyle) for a portfolio.  So far you have 3 photos (2 head shots and a full body).

Dec 27 17 04:48 pm Link