Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I want to become a makeup artist - any advice?

Makeup Artist

Hannah M93

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

I'm currently working towards an IMA qualification in Makeup Application, which is a foundation style course that focuses on the fundamentals of daytime, evening and bridal makeup. I've really loved the process of creating a portfolio and doing more creative looks in my spare time and I would love to be able to turn this passion into a career in makeup, specifically within fashion/editorial.

I'm just unsure about what my next step should be. Should I look into other makeup courses once I've completed the IMA course? Should I search for beauty counter and assisting jobs to gain experience? Based on my research so far, I've seen advice for beginner makeup artists to get experience in these areas. If I were to get a job on a beauty counter in Cambridge (where I'm based) or London, it would probably have to be on a full-time basis as the cost of living is high. But would this mean I'd miss out on potential assisting opportunities in the area I'm really interested in? Can you have a full-time job and assist?

Any experienced MUAs reading this, what did you do when you were starting out?

Dec 15 17 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Yeah... go to IMATS... PhamExpo and the Makeup Show... Google their sites!... wink

Dec 15 17 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I have a new hmua right now.  I sent her to MUD.  They have a makeup course here in Philippines.  Right now she is an assistant for us on weddings.  After she finishes that she will be training under a hair makeup stylist in a beauty salon weekdays part time and being the kiddie makeup artist for our weddings.  From there it would be up to her if she wants to keep working with me.  She has worked it out so she can work part time there and part time for me.

I don't know if that's real advice but that is what her formula for success is right now.

My other two makeup artists are freelancers.  Both have worked in beauty salons and both still have chairs in a salon.

Dec 15 17 11:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hannah M93 wrote:
...I've really loved the process of creating a portfolio and doing more creative looks in my spare time and I would love to be able to turn this passion into a career in makeup, specifically within fashion/editorial...

Hannah welcome to the Mayhem...

Reality check... There is virtually no recompense in fashion editorials. Why? because there is no client in the mix... Likewise there is little if any recompense for doing fashion shows or runway events... However the networking opportunities latent within are priceless... Trust me I've been there done that and unless your are working in a major market i.e. London (where you've noticed the cost of living is prohibitive) makeup artist working the aforementioned events are paid very little if at all...

Hannah M93 wrote:
...Should I search for beauty counter and assisting jobs to gain experience?

Absolutely! This is the traditional path taken by so many of those established within the industry. Counter work is about sales thus requires excellent communicative skills. That said the highest recompense (per hour or job) is in bridal however the competition is fierce thus you are best served entering this arena by assisting other successful bridal artist in your market.  Experience being a brutal teacher here...

My path? Bridal and commercial assignments for an advertising agency based in New York (who found me via my commercial web site). Which brings to point, you'll need a commercial web presence... btw, Instagram isn't a valid web presence, nor is Mayhem... Hope this  makes sense.

Now the bitter truth.... In order to achieve commercial success you'll likely need to lose your desire to be "Highly Creative" and instead master clean beauty looks and male grooming... These are my highest paying gigs... and male grooming for corporate video yields by far and away the highest rate of pay...

Best advice? Start by mastering foundations until you can effectively color match any client who sits in your chair... Until you have this handled you are wasting time with eye and lip decor...  Also if you wish to work in the bridal market then mastering airbrush is germane to competing at the high end of the lucrative bridal market...  I realized this early on in my journey which was one of the best decisions I have made... The Lion's share of my bridal clientele demanded airbrush, that is why they hired me...

While we are not allowed to critique in this forum I will mention that the eye decor on our avatar isn't even close to industry expectations (at least in my humble estimation)... Although it appears to be done with the excellent Anastasia Modern Reconnaissance Palette (or similar).  Please keep in mind that your perceived worth is only as good as the weakest image in your book... enough said...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought.
I wish you well on your journey Hannah...

Dec 16 17 05:02 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

ArtistryImage wrote:

I like your advice about working with male clients.  One of my favorite things about both my makeup artists is they are fantastic with my groomsmen.  Recently, more and more men especially my Korean clients are asking for full on makeup at their weddings.  Even if they are not getting makeup done I appreciate my makeup artists understanding male hair and styling.

I don't know how much editorial pays these days but when I shot editorial most makeup artists either worked for a kit fee of $50 or come and go for around $200.  I don't think that's enough to earn a living.

Dec 16 17 10:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Hannah M93

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Thank you to all of you for your advice - this has given me a lot to look into and think about, especially the part about male clients. Never really thought much about that. I'm wondering why male grooming is more lucrative? Is it because there are less makeup artists who are qualified in this area, more jobs going..?

Dec 17 17 02:43 pm Link