Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > When & How Much Do You Tip?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

When do you tip, and when you tip, how much do you tip?

I think I'm semi-generous.  I do a quick 20% calculation & round down to a round number, so I guess on average, I might tip 17%-18%.  I tip servers, delivery people, all the normal times.  When I stay at a hotel, I might leave $5 - $10 in the room when I check out, with a scribbled "Thank You" note, so they are clear it is a tip.

How Much to Tip 11 People for the Holidays from Mental Floss.  Most don't apply to me, but I do leave a little gift for the mail carrier -- this year, it's a keychain flashlight.

I just figure that I was the recipient of generosity when I was tight on funds, and now that I am more financially secure, I can be the one who is generous.

You?

Dec 18 17 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Here in the Philippines 10% is normal but it's up to you.  I tip 10% usually.  I stay in hotels usually 3 star and give $2 for room service each day.  I just leave it on the bed for them.  For delivery and drivers and people that carry things about $1.  It doesn't sound like a lot but everywhere you go there is someone giving you service. 

I also give a $20 tip for Christmas for all my regular people that make deliveries from my drinking water delivery to the ones who deliver packages to me (4 different companies).  To my bank, my concierge in my condo, my admin in the condo, I give Christmas tip of food, cookies or meat pies worth about $20.

I think it's great you leave a written thank you note.  I'm always too lazy to do that.

The article seems a little generous for the amounts in Philippines.  You can get hair cuts for $1 here.  Plus I get extra poor here in the Philippines around Christmas time because employees get a one month bonus for Christmas.  They call it 13 month pay.  I have 11 employees.  That bonus month I don't think know if it is the law but I do it anyway so my employees have a good christmas.

I'm over 50 so I guess I am financially secure, but if you saw how little most people here make and the number of people they support it would be shocking.  There are very few jobs that even earn american minimum wage here.

Dec 18 17 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

Restaurants.  Good service, 20%, a bit more around Christmas.  Mediocre service, $15%.  Poor service, I pay cash and tip nothing.

Hotel, housekeeping.  I leave money each night for housekeeping.  Once I called in advance to have my room cleaned early because I was going to be working with a model the next day and wanted the room to be cleaned up in advance; while we were working on the street, she needed to do makeup, hair, and wardrobe.  The room was cleaned on time, and the lady who did it received a nice tip.

Hotel, bell service.  A few bucks per bag.  If they're holding a bag for me after I've checked out, they get a bit more.

Cab.  15-18%.

Dec 19 17 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

If service is great, food is fantastic and the waitress is cute (LOL)... I've been know to tip as high as 50%... BUT... if service SUCKED and the food is HORRIBLE... I tip $1.  A one dollar tip is the universal amount notating that everything was just PATHETIC!... tongue

Dec 20 17 12:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

When dining out, I tip according to the quality of service.

If you think about it, the general method of paying wait staff is a base wage (from employer) + tips (from customers).  They earn their base wage from the employer, so they should have to earn their tip from me...not just expect it because they showed up.

Basic service (doing the absolute minimum to serve me or less) gets a base tip of $3, regardless of the amount of the bill.

Good to Excellent service is tipped accordingly.  No set percentage, I usually will provide a dollar amount based on how well the service was and how long I occupied the table.  (Example:  A business dinner that runs long and we hold the table for maybe 2 normal turns, if the service was good to excellent, I will increase the amount of the tip to make up for the lost turn at that table.)

Dec 20 17 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

15% and round up is my norm.   I tend to tip more than that when more service is involved and/or the food is spectacular Handing me a bottle of beer at the bar however doesn't require much service, especially considering alcohol is already marked up incredibly. 

For the m the dilemma is whether to give a higher tip when the service sucks but I know the wait staff is doing their best, but they are simply under staffed.  I hate having to wait 20 minutes to pay my tab, but I also appreciate a waiter or waitress who is working like crazy to cover 15 tables.

Dec 20 17 06:45 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Generally 20%.  Most I've tipped was $40 as a couple in Tahoe on a money blowing spree.  I give the dryer and wiper guy $3 at the end of the car wash.  Maybe $5 to the hotel maid.  Box of candy to hospital staff.  My mom gave the grocery box boy a couple of dollars to help her get her stuff into the car, but they often refused.  I don't see them doing much of that these days.

Dec 21 17 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Graham Glover wrote:
Restaurants.  Good service, 20%, a bit more around Christmas.  Mediocre service, $15%.  Poor service, I pay cash and tip nothing.

Hotel, housekeeping.  I leave money each night for housekeeping.  Once I called in advance to have my room cleaned early because I was going to be working with a model the next day and wanted the room to be cleaned up in advance; while we were working on the street, she needed to do makeup, hair, and wardrobe.  The room was cleaned on time, and the lady who did it received a nice tip.

Hotel, bell service.  A few bucks per bag.  If they're holding a bag for me after I've checked out, they get a bit more.

Cab.  15-18%.

This is pretty much my guide too. I've never worked for tips but I'm a huge believer in it. Go travel to a country where tipping is not normal and you will see a massive decline in the quality of service at restaurants, even the nice ones. All the people who say, "It's their job...they should deliver great service by default and the restaurant should pay them more" is clueless.

Dec 21 17 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I usually tip 15 to 20 percent.  My favorite bartender gets my best tips!   smile

Dec 21 17 10:02 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

For restaurants, anywhere from $1 to 25%, depending on service.  For my current sushi restaurant where I go weekly, 30%, plus $5 for the sushi chef.  The new owner is one of my former models and she discounts all my meals.  The most I tipped for a party of 5 was $300 at an upscale Chicago eatery.  It was a 9 course 3 hour seating constantly monitored by a server.  And up to 5 servers since each course was delivered in unison.  The only downside was having to wear a coat and tie.  After 6 visits, I switched to other fine dining places that allowed a more casual dress code.

For my barber, delivery people, hotel maids, etc, I give what I think is appropriate.

Dec 21 17 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Restaurants, 20% because it's easy calculate.
Bartenders, $2 to $10, depending on the drinks.
Chinese takeout, Starbucks, etc, $1

Dec 21 17 10:55 am Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
How Much to Tip 11 People for the Holidays from Mental Floss.

The list is incomplete.  Leave me some Milk and Cookies!

Dec 21 17 12:15 pm Link