Forums > Newbie Forum > Casting Call Help

Photographer

JohnHenry22

Algonquin, Illinois, US

I posted my first casting call a couple of days ago. I have received a reasonable number of views (over sixty views in  two days). However, I have only had one person express interest in setting up a session. I am hoping that some of the more experienced individuals here can take a few moments to take a look at my casting call and portfolio and make recommendations on how I can improve my response rate.

Casting Call Link
https://www.modelmayhem.com/casting/250 … h_keyword=

Portfolio Link
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4046501/viewall

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jan 03 18 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. Forums. smile

Both look fine to me, as your portfolio displays the style of shoot your describing in the Casting Call.

Perhaps you should search for local models and contact those that appeal to you directly.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your shoot! smile

Jan 03 18 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Looks like it's only been a couple of days since you posted the casting call.  I'd give it a little more time.

Jan 04 18 12:03 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's too long.

I'm not trying to be funny.
The new generation will only read one... two sentences at the most.
Then they'll reply with one word, "interested"
They think it takes too much time for anything else.

They'd rather go back and forth 100 times with single sentence conversations instead of reading more than five sentences in a casting call.

Jan 04 18 02:05 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

I see the problem right off

you put TF  when you should have put $$

Jan 04 18 08:02 am Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

The value proposition isn't there for the models.

Jan 06 18 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

myfotographer wrote:
The value proposition isn't there for the models.

To expand upon this a bit more, to the OP, your casting call is very specific and limited. That in itself isn't a bad thing, you know what you want. However, you might ask yourself if what you propose also provides what the model needs. This, in my opinion, is a key to successful TF* interaction. If your portfolio examples are indicative of the kind of expected results from your casting call, does that highlight the model? That's not a critique of genre, quality or execution, just a question of output and need.

Just a thought, but perhaps you could propose what's currently in your CC as a portion of a TF* session, instead of its entirety.

tl;dr - the more specific the request, the smaller the number of eligible or interested parties.

Jan 06 18 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

JohnHenry22

Algonquin, Illinois, US

Thanks for all the advice. This has been a good learning experience for me, and it has given me some direction.

Jan 07 18 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Just stopping by to see if you reposted your casting call in a way that was valuable to your local models. I hope you were able to find one so you could do the shoot you wanted to do. Playing with light and shadows is fun, fun, fun!

Jan 11 18 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

JohnHenry22

Algonquin, Illinois, US

myfotographer wrote:
Just stopping by to see if you reposted your casting call in a way that was valuable to your local models. I hope you were able to find one so you could do the shoot you wanted to do. Playing with light and shadows is fun, fun, fun!

I removed the old casting call, but I have not yet reposted. Instead, I sent some messages to models with whom I would like to work. I am still waiting to see how that works. Most of the models have not yet read the message that I sent.

Jan 13 18 12:06 am Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

ronbigelow wrote:
I removed the old casting call, but I have not yet reposted. Instead, I sent some messages to models with whom I would like to work. I am still waiting to see how that works. Most of the models have not yet read the message that I sent.

You don't have to do casting call or personal message. I generally do both as I get different responses from both approaches. My experience has been that not all models monitor the casting calls so models you want may not be seeing it. I'm not sure why they don't monitor calls as work is work. I usually get casting call interest from models that aren't on my radar. Personal messages work to make sure a model is aware of an opportunity. In either case, the value poposition has to be there for them.

It also seems that if they aren't interested models often just don't reply. That is a different topic though. You might want to make sure the models you take the time to contact models that are active - the default search activity is 365 days. I limit my searching to activity within 16 days (8 days when traveling) and thus my direct contacts.

The wider the net you cast, the more likely you are to find the right model.

In addition to my casting calls and personal messages, I also review casting calls and availability notices for where I am or will be (since I travel a lot). I contact models that express a desire for what I want or am willing to create for in addition to what they want. I've found other photographer casting calls for shoot shoots - and I reach out to see if they have models I should create with and vice versa. This works.

Cast a wide net - Use good bait

Jan 15 18 08:55 am Link

Photographer

JohnHenry22

Algonquin, Illinois, US

myfotographer wrote:
You don't have to do casting call or personal message. I generally do both as I get different responses from both approaches. My experience has been that not all models monitor the casting calls so models you want may not be seeing it. I'm not sure why they don't monitor calls as work is work. I usually get casting call interest from models that aren't on my radar. Personal messages work to make sure a model is aware of an opportunity. In either case, the value poposition has to be there for them.

It also seems that if they aren't interested models often just don't reply. That is a different topic though. You might want to make sure the models you take the time to contact models that are active - the default search activity is 365 days. I limit my searching to activity within 16 days (8 days when traveling) and thus my direct contacts.

The wider the net you cast, the more likely you are to find the right model.

In addition to my casting calls and personal messages, I also review casting calls and availability notices for where I am or will be (since I travel a lot). I contact models that express a desire for what I want or am willing to create for in addition to what they want. I've found other photographer casting calls for shoot shoots - and I reach out to see if they have models I should create with and vice versa. This works.

Cast a wide net - Use good bait

Jan 16 18 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

JohnHenry22

Algonquin, Illinois, US

I really appreciate your advice and help. I will be creating a new casting call later this week.

Jan 16 18 08:09 pm Link