Forums > Photography Talk > Traveling Models

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Pixrbias wrote:
Seriously  ????      that's your problem.    I ask for them to give me a heads up if they are headed my way. That doesn't mean I shoot them all,  it all depends on timing and season.  Retouchers on the other hand that's out of control.

I totally agree.
Most of my favorite models were from MM messaging. If it weren't for these cold notices I wouldn't have 90% of the photos and inspirations of working with talented traveling art models.
I have said no to Many for what ever reasons but if timing and finances work out then I am always willing to work with talented people who can (and have) improved my photography.

Retouchers on the other hand are basically telling you that your vision and final product sucks and they will fix it for you for a fee... uh no! unless you can read my mind minute to minute in my artistic process or if you can use a darkroom like I do, No, I don't think so... I just ignore the retouchers.

Apr 14 18 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I have no problem with models telling me about their availability . If I have the time and see value I would see if we can get together, if I don't I either ignore or reply maybe next time.

Now retouchers, I always ignore...always. No need to get upset though

Apr 16 18 09:41 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I don't mind being contacted by traveling models at all, they are what makes our work happen and they are only looking for work to make a living. It just drives me crazy when I get contacted by someone that I would love to work with but the timing or finances won't allow it to happen. Happens all the time.

Apr 17 18 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Box Top Photography wrote:
I don't mind being contacted by traveling models at all, they are what makes our work happen and they are only looking for work to make a living. It just drives me crazy when I get contacted by someone that I would love to work with but the timing or finances won't allow it to happen. Happens all the time.

Oh man, I'm in the same boat on that one.... Time and Budget!

Apr 19 18 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Voy wrote:

At least with most junk mail there is a "Unsubscribe" link. BTW, these models are not saving photographers any money. They want to be paid a lot of money to spread their legs open.

I think you just solved "your" problem.  More than a little disrespectful.

I haven't gotten one of those messages for a while. Hint hint. :-)

Apr 23 18 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Box Top Photography wrote:

This happened to me yesterday.  I had to decline 2 models.

Apr 26 18 05:17 am Link

Photographer

mesmericfoto

San Francisco, California, US

I personally find traveling models to be, almost without incident, professional, cool, talented, and just plain great to shoot with.  I kinda dig their notices as many of them would go unnoticed by me otherwise.

May 02 18 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

CZ Digital

Waco, Texas, US

I personally like receiving the traveling model solicitations.  In the past years I've shot some great ones that were just passing through Prague that I never would have known about otherwise.  Last week I received two that I would have eaten my own shoe to shoot (one from the US, other Ukraine), but my real job work schedule wouldn't budge to accommodate the shoots. 

On the same note, I receive plenty of emails from fellow photographers traveling to Prague.  Asking about good locations, studio rentals, models, looking for an assistant, etc.  I answer every inquiry - after all we're supposed to be a community here.  I came to find new talent, learn, and collaborate, not bitch on the forums  ;-)

May 04 18 03:16 am Link