Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How to get the Illustrative Look.

Photographer

sddarkman619

San Diego, California, US

I've been searching for ways, or tutorials to achieve that illustrative look in post production. See photo below. similar but maybe not to dramatic, but then again, maybe...no talking about the added sparkles and stuff, just the look of the person or subject in the photo.

http://coffeeshopjournal.com/wp-content … eading.jpg

Feb 01 18 09:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

What do you mean by "illustrative look"? There is a girl staring at a light source. The yellows look shifted a little towards green. The rest is a photo collage as you may have noticed. It's the expression and the light that make this image.

Feb 02 18 12:35 am Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

sddarkman619 wrote:
I've been searching for ways, or tutorials to achieve that illustrative look in post production. See photo below. similar but maybe not to dramatic, but then again, maybe...no talking about the added sparkles and stuff, just the look of the person or subject in the photo.

http://coffeeshopjournal.com/wp-content … eading.jpg

it's a graphic composition. The shot is obtained as already said. A light under the child and deleted in post production. Now there is a digital book. All is post production. The contrast colors, saturation and hard light, can be obtained working with  curves and some other basic adjustments
So the idea of drama is simply the union of these few elements and the treatment of brightness.

Feb 02 18 03:41 am Link

Retoucher

GregWatson

Mount Airy, North Carolina, US

This is my quick version, there are many more, depending on what you're looking for..

https://preview.ibb.co/mJuQ4R/Girlreadingsm.jpg
upload png google

Feb 02 18 05:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

It begins with a concept.

You ask yourself: What story am I trying to tell visually in a fantastical way ? A tutorial will not really teach you how to be a good conceptual thinker.

Feb 02 18 05:43 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

Why would you like that horrible fake composition ...? bad cut and bad blending, awful light ..

Feb 03 18 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm always curious about the sense of entitlement displayed by people that denigrate the work of others. I wonder if they ever look at their own work as critically as they look at the work of others. Perhaps if they did, they might not say anything at all.

Feb 03 18 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robert Randall wrote:
I'm always curious about the sense of entitlement displayed by people that denigrate the work of others. I wonder if they ever look at their own work as critically as they look at the work of others. Perhaps if they did, they might not say anything at all.

I enjoy seeing your comments again Robert!   smile

Feb 03 18 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Robert Randall wrote:

there is a kind of "Pot meet Kettle" thing with some people.

Feb 05 18 10:55 am Link