Photographer

happylakers

Kaufbeuren, Bavaria, Germany

Hello guys,

the editing of Toni Mahfud is so great, I love it. I watched every YouTube video and read every post about his retouching technique. Unfortunately I don`t get it right. When you go on his instagram page, the first 9 pictures are all edited in the style I want to achieve.

For you guys it`s probably really easy but for me it`s mission impossible.
It makes me really sad because I am able to recreate some other looks but not this one.

Here the things I tried: Lift the blacks and made a slight s-kurve. Gradient map with dark blue in the shadows and a golden/beige color in the highlights. I also tried the bleach bypass filter in NIK filters.

I would appreciate your help. I wondered if somebody could edit one or two of my existing pictures and explain me how he retouched it. Of course I would pay for this. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 19 18 01:35 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Please share:

1. A download link to your raw file
2. A link to the image showing the look you want

Then we can see what is possible.

Forums are for discussion. You should not pay to anyone unless you hire him for an actual job.

Feb 19 18 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

happylakers

Here you can find a RAW-File. The image is not perfect but it could work?
I could upload another photo if it doesn`t work with this image, but then I have to ask the models before.

I hope it works to post the links, unfortunately the "How to link" link is broken.

Sample 1
Sample 2

Here you can find the RAW file:
RAW

Thanks for your help, guys!

Feb 20 18 12:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Your raw data is clipped and that cannot be fixed in post. Images with exposure issues are usually impossible to color correct because the color data is simply not there.

[deleted image in order not to keep OP's copyrighted material long term]

Also the palette of your image is almost monochromatic - there are no colors to manipulate. On your target look there is skin, there is yellow, there is even a little green on one of them, also blue (although it is faded). For best results color grading must start in pre-production so that you choose the proper colors. Then in post you simply fine tune that.

Here is an example process, using 3DLC:

[deleted images in order not to keep OP's copyrighted material long term]

Feb 20 18 02:52 pm Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

I have seen some image about Toni and his post production. He work with color adjustment levels.
but for good results even shots must be with a good color tone yours is too much blue.
His photo are all post produced.
You can see how I work with some adjustment levels. I'll give you an example with weak tones. Other images can be much contrasted tones to the limit of overexposure or clipped shadows and highlight. Maybe he works with luts. But all tonings are only adjustment colors. Not need strong post.
https://s9.postimg.org/giysqylwv/image.jpg
This is a different way. Cutting black.
https://s10.postimg.org/gjxf3w8t5/test.jpg

happylakers wrote:
Hello guys,

the editing of Toni Mahfud is so great, I love it. I watched every YouTube video and read every post about his retouching technique. Unfortunately I don`t get it right. When you go on his instagram page, the first 9 pictures are all edited in the style I want to achieve.

For you guys it`s probably really easy but for me it`s mission impossible.
It makes me really sad because I am able to recreate some other looks but not this one.

Here the things I tried: Lift the blacks and made a slight s-kurve. Gradient map with dark blue in the shadows and a golden/beige color in the highlights. I also tried the bleach bypass filter in NIK filters.

I would appreciate your help. I wondered if somebody could edit one or two of my existing pictures and explain me how he retouched it. Of course I would pay for this. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 22 18 05:44 am Link

Photographer

happylakers

Hello guys, thanks for your quick reply!
I will try the demo version auf 3D Lut Creator, maybe I can reconstruct this.

Feb 23 18 03:29 am Link