Forums > General Industry > Every shoot should use a contract

Photographer

A Sight Worth Seeing

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Here is a great example why a model release and contract is vital for models as well as photographers: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … dfd7c1406e

Feb 20 18 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

A Sight Worth Seeing wrote:
Here is a great example why a model release and contract is vital for models as well as photographers: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … dfd7c1406e

model release has nothing to do with this matter.

Feb 20 18 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

model release has nothing to do with this matter.

+1

As the article clearly states, this case was about copyright law being violated, it had nothing to do with issues of release, and wasn’t a matter of contractual agreements either.  It’s about copyright infringement.  If anything it’s a reminder that there is a big difference between rights someone has to their likeness and copyright.  I often see models and sometimes even photographers refer to photos of a model as her images.  This case is a reminder that images are copyright by the creator, not the subject.

Feb 20 18 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Every shoot should use a contract.

Every?  I don't think that's necessary or practical.

First, as folks have already pointed out, this issue has nothing to do with a model release.

Second, a contract is a legally binding agreement signed by all parties concerned.  Contracts written by amateurs tend to be confusing, inconsistent, incomplete, and thereby worthless.  Further, any contract that goes into the detail that specifies the conditions of copyright law is likely to be dozens of pages long, which would (for me, at least) require the (expensive) vetting by an appropriate professional lawyer.

Then again, I'm not likely to be photographing internationally famous superstar models.

On the other hand, I think it is prudent to have an e-mail exchange that specifies & documents the expectations of both parties, and that exchange should specify what that model can & cannot do with the resulting images.

Feb 20 18 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes, I get a signed model release for anything I shoot but this case is about Intellectual Property. If there is money being exchanged or you’re doing Pro Bona then you need to draft an Estimate which needs to be signed. It states what you will deliver, what the other party can expect and how they are authorized to do with the images.

Feb 20 18 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

This has nothing to do with contracts or releases or any such document. But let's use this thread to discuss the actual issue, which, as has been identified, is actually about copyright infringement.

So, Gigi posted what appears to be a copy of Cepeda's image on her Insta. Based on Cepeda's rant on Petapixel, it seems like the image on Gigi's Insta post was actually taken from the Daily Mail, to which Cepeda had sold the pic. (BTW, the offending image appears to have been removed from her account).

So my questions are these: can a celeb not post a pic that appears in a publication on her Insta? Was a lawsuit really necessary, or was her Insta post being leveraged by the photographer as a way to call attention to himself? Couldn't this guy have just posted on Gigi's Insta, saying "Hey Gigi glad you liked the photo I took of you from @DailyMail!" and be done with it?

There seem to be no updates on this matter since September of last year, when his lawsuit was all over the news.

Feb 20 18 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

kickfight wrote:
So my questions are these: can a celeb not post a pic that appears in a publication on her Insta? Was a lawsuit really necessary, or was her Insta post being leveraged by the photographer as a way to call attention to himself? Couldn't this guy have just posted on Gigi's Insta, saying "Hey Gigi glad you liked the photo I took of you from @DailyMail!" and be done with it?

except for the minor fact that she cropped out the credit and removed the copyright information before reposting it. that would trouble me. that's an intentional act.

" Mr Cepeda is claiming that Ms Hadid or her agents removed the credit attributing the photograph to him from the bottom of the image, and also the watermark showing that the image was subject to copyright. "

"Gigi Hadid then decided to take the photo from DailyMail, remove my credit/byline, and post it onto her Instagram social media account. "

Here is a great example why a model release and contract is vital for models as well as photographers

and i would be laughed out of modeling agencies. have tested with many agency models, and never had them sign releases nor required contracts from any of them. things are different with internet freelance newbies.

Feb 20 18 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
except for the minor fact that she cropped out the credit and removed the copyright information before reposting it. that would trouble me. that's an intentional act.

" Mr Cepeda is claiming that Ms Hadid or her agents removed the credit attributing the photograph to him from the bottom of the image, and also the watermark showing that the image was subject to copyright. "

"Gigi Hadid then decided to take the photo from DailyMail, remove my credit/byline, and post it onto her Instagram social media account. "

Yes, the photo was cropped when it was posted on Instagram, but that was likely just to emphasize the part that shows the altered Adidas logo on the back of the jacket, and not just to excise the credit, which was at the very bottom of the image.

The alleged "problem" only arose when people like E!News started screencapping her Insta and using that screencap in their articles. But even if she had used the full-length image from Daily News, complete with credit and copyright info, and people screencapped her post and used that screencap in their articles, the alleged "problem" would remain. So it's not really about just the cropping. It's also the practice of other publications taking screenshots of people's Instagram posts and using those screencaps as content.

Sounds to me like a paparazzo was thinking he could get an easy payday from a lawsuit. But it looks like Cepeda pulled his lawsuit in October of last year and the case was closed in December.

Feb 20 18 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Every shoot should use a contract.

Every?  I don't think that's necessary or practical.

First, as folks have already pointed out, this issue has nothing to do with a model release.

Second, a contract is a legally binding agreement signed by all parties concerned.  Contracts written by amateurs tend to be confusing, inconsistent, incomplete, and thereby worthless.  Further, any contract that goes into the detail that specifies the conditions of copyright law is likely to be dozens of pages long, which would (for me, at least) require the (expensive) vetting by an appropriate professional lawyer.

Then again, I'm not likely to be photographing internationally famous superstar models.

On the other hand, I think it is prudent to have an e-mail exchange that specifies & documents the expectations of both parties, and that exchange should specify what that model can & cannot do with the resulting images.

You do realize that the email exchange constitutes the contract in the absence of anything else?

Feb 21 18 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I was going to shoot a few selfies this morning, but trying to understand the legalize of all the contracts involved was just too overwhelming.

Feb 21 18 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Virtual Studio wrote:
You do realize that the email exchange constitutes the contract in the absence of anything else?

I don't think so.  I can send you an e-mail saying that you owe me $1,000 in exchange for some photographic advice I have given you.  Is that a binding contract?  If so, pay up. 

I will be among the first to rag on lawyers, but they do have value (at least the good ones do) -- they can write clear contracts whose terms are understandable & enforceable.  Seems easy, but it is not.  Most e-mail exchanges between photographer & model tend to gloss over important points, not documenting expectations and/or terms of agreement.  Your typical e-mail exchange will not constitute a contract, especially if the documented terms are not acknowledged by the other party.

So, document your agreements, but don't expect them to be enforceable in court.

Feb 21 18 12:04 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Just because you send an email, it doesn't make it a meeting of the minds.  I owe you a grand?  You owe me 20 grand.  Pay up.

Correspondence can serve as evidence of an agreement and what the terms of the agreement are.

Feb 21 18 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

kickfight wrote:
So my questions are these: can a celeb not post a pic that appears in a publication on her Insta?.

No they cannot just use an image without a license from the copyright owner. The DM had a license to use the image, the celeb did not. The photographer appears to have taken legal action  to recover the loss of earnings (had the model licensed it correctly and all the people who then took it from her insta acc) and to re-assert his ownership of the image.

kickfight wrote:
Sounds to me like a paparazzo was thinking he could get an easy payday from a lawsuit. But it looks like Cepeda pulled his lawsuit in October of last year and the case was closed in December.

Yes press photographers make their living by licensing their images to the media. I imagine she settled out of court.

Feb 21 18 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Darren Brade wrote:
had the model licensed it correctly and all the people who then took it from her insta acc

Yeah, that's the part that remains ambiguous... even if she had actually licensed it just so she could post it on her Insta, the people who screencapped it and then used the screencap to illustrate their articles would have ostensibly been in violation, because they didn't license the image.

I wonder if he even filed a Copyright violation notice on Instagram. There doesn't seem to be any mention of that anywhere.

Darren Brade wrote:
Yes press photographers make their living by licensing their images to the media. I imagine she settled out of court.

Sure, but in this specific case it seems that this "freelance news and celebrity photographer" was trying to supplement his "living" via lawsuit.

There's no evidence that there was any settlement. All we know is that the photographer pulled his lawsuit.

Feb 21 18 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

A Sight Worth Seeing

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Model releases are a contract, but what most models miss is that they have zero rights in the image.  They can prevent their image from being used commercially in the US, but unless the "model release" provides them with a copyright license, they are in violation of copyright law when they repost it.

My model releases all directly address copyright.  If it is TFP, the contract usually gives the model a non-commercial license.  If the model pays, it gives the model a commercial license.  If I'm paying, the model gets a license to use images for self-promotion only (usually -- each shoot can be different).

We all call the contract a "model release", but it really is a "right of publicity and copyright license", capable of giving the model a license to use the image and the photographer a license to use the model's likeness commercially.

There are some really wonky cases that cross all of the wires.  There was a case that came down a week or two ago saying that inline linking (so my site uses the IMG tag and grabs the image off of a third party server) is copyright infringement.  There was a case a few years ago that said that an actress had a copyright in how she held her body and presented herself (that case was overturned).  Because judges often don't get it and because cases can go sideways, I try to use a contract every time and broadly cover a lot of contingencies.

The "model release" for nudes, of course, should also normally include 2257 record keeping information, but that is a really complex issue (unclear whether 2257 is ultimately going to be found constitutional in many situations).

Feb 21 18 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Model releases are a contract,

Is it a contract if it is only signed by one party?

My model releases all directly address copyright.  If it is TFP, the contract usually gives the model a non-commercial license.  If the model pays, it gives the model a commercial license.  If I'm paying, the model gets a license to use images for self-promotion only (usually -- each shoot can be different).

Sounds to me that you are merging a model release & a usage license together on one page.  Do you sign this document, too?

Yeah, I'll leave contracts to the professionals.  I tend to think that the non-lawyers among us don't truly understand contract law.  At least, that's my assumption.

Feb 21 18 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Model releases are a contract,

Debatable. Some documents addressing issues of release such as permission to use forms are not written in contractual  language. Even when releases are contractual, it doesnt make issues of copyright and issues of release one and the same as you have made them out to be. 

...but unless the "model release" provides them with a copyright license, they are in violation of copyright law when they repost it.

Model releases don’t provide copyright license or usage rights.  That’s not at all what model releases are about. 

My model releases all directly address copyright.

Model releases are not about copyright. 

The "model release" for nudes, of course, should also normally include 2257.

2257 requirements are not a part of model release, they are driven by different legislation. 

You should really stop posting such misinformation.

Feb 22 18 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

DP

Feb 22 18 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

NatLight Studios

Menlo Park, California, US

Some photographers - even some you would think know better - meld model release language and usage license language into a single document.  Not what I consider "best practices".  Best to use two separate documents.

Some model releases are definitely contracts.  Others are not, but exactly what is required for an enforceable release that isn't a contract can vary quite a bit from state to state.  In general, I recommend to my clients to use a form of model release that is a written contract, and specifically recites consideration.  A properly phrased contract that recites model release language meets the legal requirements of all states in the U.S., and thus avoids needing to know what a particular state's requirements for a release are.  Another major shortcoming of a model release that is not a contract is that, in many states, the model can revoke the release. 

The challenge of a contract is proving that the consideration was provided.  A fair number of "experts" assert that this means you should only use a release, since consideration is not required.  If you believe that's a good way to go, re-read the above paragraph more carefully.

Not all contracts need to be signed by both parties.  It is typically enough, especially with contracts that are model releases, for the release to be signed by "the party to be charged" - which is legalese for saying "the person against whom you want to enforce the contract."  That is the model, thus, in general, only the model needs to sign.

The foregoing is specifically limited to U.S. law.  UK law has some interesting wrinkles, and German/French law has a few others.  This isn't the time or place to discuss those.

Nothing of the above is legal advice that any reader is permitted to rely upon.  None of you are my clients, and we have no attorney-client relationship.  Seek the advice of your own attorney for guidance that you can rely upon.

Mar 06 18 01:10 am Link