Forums > Photography Talk > Talk me into APS-C or full-frame lens, or wait

Photographer

Dustin_S_

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I have a Canon T7i with kit lens and I am thinking about upgrading. I do a mix of portrait type work (pin-up, fetish, bondage) and landscape/action (not sure what else to classify photos of aircraft and such that are stationary and moving). So far with the 18-55mm kit lens the only limitation I have had was being stuck in a spot where I could not get closer and wanting a close up shot and not having enough focal length.

Should I stay with an APS-C specific lens since they are designed to work best with my camera (and currently do not have plans to go full-frame)? Go with a full-frame lens for better glass I might be able to use later on with a full-frame body? Or wait a little longer and see what else besides the focal length is limiting me?

And what do you think of the Sigma DC, Tamron Di II, and Canon EF-S lenses? Quality-wise it seems they are about on-par (for instance I think it was the Sigma lens I looked at that had weather seal, yet the Canon of similar focal and aperture did not). Right now Sigma is what I am leaning to for a lens choice (a 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6).

Feb 25 18 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Go with something that is going to solve a problem. Something you cannot do with the gear you are using.

I have done what you are saying. I am still a c sensor guy with several FF lenses and I have zero regrets.

I have not always taken the advice I am about to give but do not buy anything because you want to be a show off with your gears title. I assume "perhaps wrongly" that you use a C sensor as finances are a challange. I do personaly believe glass is the better investment as finances allow. Eventualy the camera will force the issue of a need for an upgrade. lenses rarly do that.
Any desperate time of need will present an urgency that can be explored in the moment but financial planning should be done with forward thingking. again JMO.

For close up or portrait. I use mine on my Nikon for portraits almost every shoot I do.
https://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100mm-Mac … B000BZIO0M

As for your lens questions of specific brands, I cant answer as I am unfamiliar with any direct way exept the Tamron wich was no good for me. others hopefully will know more.

Feb 25 18 10:33 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Canon has some decent buys in the lens dept.

35mm f/2
50mm f/1.8

for portraits:

85mm f/1.8

any of the above would be a low cost step up from Your kit lens imo.

Feb 25 18 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Talk me into APS-C or full-frame lens

For Nikon, it's a substancial cost difference.  DX zoom lenses of approximately the same focal length are usually a few hundred dollars less than their FX counterparts... wink

Feb 25 18 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Good point, I usually obsess and study my next purchase and buy used in the local market. Otherwise, FF is typically out of my price range.

Feb 25 18 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Dustin_S_

Randy Poe wrote:
I assume "perhaps wrongly" that you use a C sensor as finances are a challenge.

Actually, I am still fairly new and when I went from borrowing a camera to shoot subjects that interest me (a steam locomotive, WWII aircraft) to getting my own I didn't want to jump in over my head. Better to go simple and learn to be a better photographer right? The T7i just seemed like the best fit. I do not know if I will go full-frame in the future, sensor size doesn't make great photographs.

Feb 25 18 11:56 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Be careful on your purchase and not end up like this guy's $6K Canon 1DX Mark II purchase:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … XPnOq-XJg8

I've heard of the order where a Nikon coffee cup filled with sand was placed into a Nikon 24-70mm box too, but this guy's moons are really crashing to have it happen twice: Rocks in first box, and bricks in second.

He also posted the review in Amazon too on that body.  Wonder who the 3rd party fulfillment center was?

Feb 25 18 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Randy Poe wrote:
Go with something that is going to solve a problem. Something you cannot do with the gear you are using.

Yes, upgrading is easy, (minus the paying for it part).

Just take the problems with your current system and solve them. If it's noise in the shadows,
full frame might help. If you're a sports shooter and you hit the buffer limits too often, you have
to spring for a journalist oriented body.If you want 4K video, find that, if you need higher
dynamic range, you'll have to ditch Canon  tongue ,I kid, I kid.

If it's just wanting a shiny new camera, then join the club, marketing is doing it's job.

Feb 25 18 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Dustin_S_ wrote:
The T7i just seemed like the best fit. I do not know if I will go full-frame in the future, sensor size doesn't make great photographs.

the most important question is, what are the final uses of your images? if they are going to be all on websites and viewed on digital devices. then smaller sensor is fine. if some will end up as full size human images on a poster or a car for a sales brochure in a dealership, then you might consider going up in sensor size.

if you do lots of wide angle and need selective focus, then yes, a larger sensor will be helpful.

the final use and what you need to see is all that matters. there's nothing wrong with using what you have until you learn what you need. just don't invest in a big system until you can decide.

Feb 25 18 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Randy Poe wrote:
For close up or portrait. I use mine on my Nikon for portraits almost every shoot I do.
https://www.amazon.com/Tokina-100mm-Mac … B000BZIO0M

From the Amazon page:
"2 Year Limited Tokina Warranty through the seller. Please contact the seller to claim the warranty, not the manufacturer."

Is this gray market?

Feb 25 18 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dustin_S_

GRMACK wrote:
Be careful on your purchase and not end up like this guy's $6K Canon 1DX Mark II purchase:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … XPnOq-XJg8

I've heard of the order where a Nikon coffee cup filled with sand was placed into a Nikon 24-70mm box too, but this guy's moons are really crashing to have it happen twice: Rocks in first box, and bricks in second.

He also posted the review in Amazon too on that body.  Wonder who the 3rd party fulfillment center was?

I wonder what seller. That is the whole reason I no longer like Amazon (and use it as little as possible) and buy only new product from trusted places (used from very select and very trusted sources).

I only use my images to post online, though I would like to print a photo out from a set and display that (no bigger than a 20x30 print). As I understand it, the 24.2 megapixel count should be good enough for that size print. So for the foreseeable future my camera body should accomplish things I want to do. Glass, skill, and some equipment (like the Paul Buff White Lightning I bought) will be more helpful than a new body.

Feb 25 18 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
the most important question is, what are the final uses of your images? if they are going to be all on websites and viewed on digital devices. then smaller sensor is fine. if some will end up as full size human images on a poster or a car for a sales brochure in a dealership, then you might consider going up in sensor size.

Actually, no. Larger prints are viewed from further away:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what … -distance/

And a larger sensor isn't necessarily higher resolution. Basically, fullframe is expensive and gets different advantages depending on the the sensor resolution, optics, etc. An A7s is a low light king and an A7r is a resolution god - but only is fitted with very expensive glass and shot with a lot of discipline.

A more serious reason for choosing an FF DSLR is that many apsc models have imprecise focus systems and throw off shots at very wide apertures. But a better and cheaper way of doing that is probably to buy a mirrorless with on-sensor focussing. (And some FF dslrs have imprecise focus too.)

Feb 26 18 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Mark Salo wrote:
From the Amazon page:
"2 Year Limited Tokina Warranty through the seller. Please contact the seller to claim the warranty, not the manufacturer."

Is this gray market?

Good catch! when I did the search I just did the lens and canon. Prime would be a WAY better way to buy that if someone was going to do so.

Feb 26 18 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Britrock

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

Could always try renting, lensrentals.com are decent - great range and reasonable pricing, to get a feel for what you prefer. They also let you keep the gear you rent and knock off the price of the rental from the purchase price.

Mar 07 18 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

thiswayup wrote:
Actually, no. Larger prints are viewed from further away:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what … g-distance

no, some larger images are view from further away. others are viewed from a closer distance; like the enlarged 8x10 feet prints from avedon's western series show, or my 4x6 feet prints used in venues. even then, some clients still require 8x10 chromes for billboard images. clients can be much more critical.

thiswayup wrote:
And a larger sensor isn't necessarily higher resolution.

you know, i hear that a lot - and every time it astounds me. it may not be about resolution - but it's absolutely about smooth gradation and enlargement. and the more you enlarge a small sensor, the much higher resolution and better lens you require. nikon used to try selling the cropped sensor (before it had a full frame), by explaining that is used the sharper center part of the lens; completely ignoring that the image had to be magnified over 4 times more and therefore, required much more quality of a lens to match the less critical full frame sensor's lower magnification to get the same size print. it's very poor logic.

and the gotcha that everyone always miss - the smaller sensor requires much better camera technique to get the same quality as a larger sensor. the rule-of-thumb limit for the average person to handhold a 50mm lens on a full frame is 1/50th sec. but for a 1.6 crop sensor, it's 1/80 sec. if you've ever had to deal with a minox c camera, you would understand how much more care you need to get a sharper image from a smaller frame.

you can hear from people who previously always used a cropped senor when they finally use a full frame or medium format - they can't believe how much better the image looks.

Mar 07 18 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

for me the best reason to switch to ff is because the zoom lenses make more sense and I have to switch less on them,  I like the way the 70-200 works then the 24-70 on a ff.   I hated back when I used a crop sensor with those lenses.

Right now my main camera is the lumix micro four thirds and the images hold up well for web work.  The part i like best is the lenses are similar to how I set up my old nikon ff

Mar 08 18 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Ask yourself if you NEED to spend the extra money on a FF system/glass.
Is it absolutely necessary to go FF?
Is there something you absolutely can not get with crop frame lenses?
Ever since I went digital 10 years ago, all my model shoots I've done digitally were on APS-C, My port is full of those.

I shot with Nikon APS-C up until 5 years ago when I went to Fujifilm and am VERY happy with my new crop system. The files are amazing and the native glass is second to none in the mirrorless game unless you go manual then you have many adaptable options on Any crop system.
I'm a prime glass shooter and my latter decision was based on that availability and native compatibility to the bodies and processors. I don't miss 35mm/FF and I'm getting more bang for my buck.

Mar 23 18 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Dustin_S_ wrote:
I have a Canon T7i with kit lens and I am thinking about upgrading. I do a mix of portrait type work (pin-up, fetish, bondage) and landscape/action (not sure what else to classify photos of aircraft and such that are stationary and moving). So far with the 18-55mm kit lens the only limitation I have had was being stuck in a spot where I could not get closer and wanting a close up shot and not having enough focal length.

Should I stay with an APS-C specific lens since they are designed to work best with my camera (and currently do not have plans to go full-frame)? Go with a full-frame lens for better glass I might be able to use later on with a full-frame body? Or wait a little longer and see what else besides the focal length is limiting me?

And what do you think of the Sigma DC, Tamron Di II, and Canon EF-S lenses? Quality-wise it seems they are about on-par (for instance I think it was the Sigma lens I looked at that had weather seal, yet the Canon of similar focal and aperture did not). Right now Sigma is what I am leaning to for a lens choice (a 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6).

I am a long time C sensor guy, but upgraded, last year, to a Nikon D750, and don't regret it.
Since you shoot both portrait, and landscape, it's good to have options. I use my ff camera for portraits, and the crop sensor for landscape. I was told that is the way to go. In regards to lenses, I am a big fan of Tamron equipment.

Mar 24 18 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

63fotos wrote:
I am a long time C sensor guy, but upgraded, last year, to a Nikon D750, and don't regret it.
Since you shoot both portrait, and landscape, it's good to have options. I use my ff camera for portraits, and the crop sensor for landscape. I was told that is the way to go. In regards to lenses, I am a big fan of Tamron equipment.

If I still had both at my disposal, yes the FF would be my resolution choice IF my final output was always to be printwork.
Online work it really doesn't matter but I would dare say that Landscape and Nature photography would benefit from the larger print output than portraits due to the Massive amounts of detail landscapes offer in one shot. Of course with all things, Lens selection is the key.
As for portraits, the best combo I have ever used to this day (aside from MF and LF) is my Fujifilm X-Pro2 with the XF56mm f/1.2, an 85mm equivalent, and using the correct RAW conversion... Wow! I call it Butter Good... and That is an APS-C.

Mar 25 18 11:00 am Link