Forums > General Industry > My dying hobby

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

A couple of times a year I like bringing a model or two for bikini shoots around the Philippine islands.  It is usually with models that don't mind spending a week with an old guy like me.  In the best of circumstances it is with another photographer or two and we bring one model each and it keeps expenses reasonable.

I told a friend that that was my hobby for my vacation since I am single and it makes for a fun week.  I was surprised how much he thought it was so old thinking.  "No one thinks that's acceptable anymore"  he told me.  Am I so far out of pace?  I looked up photo tours around the world and I guess it has become a dying hobby. 

Any thoughts or experiences?

I do remember the days when photo clubs had hundreds and hundreds of active members.  It was back in my youth but I didn't realise that this has almost completely vanished.

Mar 04 18 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

martin b wrote:
I looked up photo tours around the world and I guess it has become a dying hobby. 
Any thoughts or experiences?

Still going strong here... 'group' photo tours is where it's at.  Checkout the April 22nd cruiseboat 'photo tour'... listed on this MM page.  This much fun should be illegal... but it's not... borat

Mar 04 18 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

glad to hear your shoots are still going strong.  I remember when the shoots were really great in southern california and there were as many as a dozen promoters and thousands of photographers.  There was even a magazine to promote it.  I have to time my visits to the USA to get on your cruise one  of these days

Mar 05 18 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

martin b wrote:
glad to hear your shoots are still going strong.  I remember when the shoots were really great in southern california and there were as many as a dozen promoters and thousands of photographers.  There was even a magazine to promote it.  I have to time my visits to the USA to get on your cruise one  of these days

Yep... I used to submit photos and advertize in that magazine... it was 'Western Photographer'... published by a Orange County studio owner affectionately known as 'Bear'.  Other promotors who advertized in WP in those times (early to late 90s) were Mike Bean, John Baie, Joe Duerr and Bob Klymer.   

In 1995, I advertized our largest ever Select Models event in that magazine... with a turnout of 91 models and 311 photographers... held at the Humphries Mansion in Temecula CA.  That was one 'wild ass' and somewhat out of control event... with sooooo many attendees that I couldn't manage it effectively... but major funtimes for sure... borat

Mar 05 18 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I attend a model & photographer event in Arizona almost every year.  It's called the Arizona Shootout.  There are approximately 30 models and 30 photographers from all over attending.  It has been going on for more than 20 years.
I'm going in April and I can't wait!    smile

There are some of the model's photos in my portfolio.

Mar 05 18 06:54 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

suggestion: ignore your friend and as long as you can find models wiling..keep shooting

Mar 05 18 10:42 am Link

Photographer

martin b

goofus  wrote:
suggestion: ignore your friend and as long as you can find models wiling..keep shooting

thanks,  there are plenty of models that love to shoot and travel.  I like doing it, I just was surprised by the criticism.

And I am glad to hear that photo shoots are doing well in the USA

Mar 05 18 12:03 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Frankly I'm kind of surprised by your friend's response.  Perhaps it is less popular to travel with models for photography than it once was, I don't know...but does it really matter, if you enjoy doing it?  Belly dance was more popular in the 70's, but that doesn't mean I throw up my hands and say it's not worth my time because of that.  You do you!

Mar 05 18 01:03 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd wonder how you explained it/how he interpreted it if his response was thinking that it wasn't some sort of "acceptable" thing to do "anymore"

A lot of people shoot trade for travel.
Not a whole lot of people (but some) will shoot trade for travel that stipulates they need to be exclusive to the photographer that paid for said travel/be available for them to shoot at any and all given moments/be forced to "hang out". Most of us who shoot trade for travel book other work or take time for ourselves if its a place we've wanted to visit.
More are willing to shoot the latter if they know/are actually friends with the photographer of course, it can be a bit more strained when you're total strangers. If you made it sound like/he took it like you were taking some model along on vacation as your girlfriend for the weekend or something then I'd see where his issue with it came from, there's certainly a lot of misconceptions from people who don't do this work that everyones fucking everyone (or trying to) and the idea that you'd take some strange woman from the internet on vacation with you fits that misconception

Mar 05 18 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

I will be at the Arizona Shootout in April.  It's a nice contrast to shooting solo with a single model all the time.  I do wish there was more time to socialize with other photographers.  Due to the great weather and stunning models, every photog in the group seems quite focused on shooting or setting up shoots with models.

If any other photographers want to socialize at the AZSO in April, drop me a note and maybe we can do dinner.

Mar 05 18 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

goofus  wrote:

+1000.

It'd be freakin awesome to be like, "eh, I think we'll hangout at this island for a bit."

Mar 05 18 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Black Z Eddie wrote:

+1000.

It'd be freakin awesome to be like, "eh, I think we'll hangout at this island for a bit."

Yes, and the best thing is the cost is ridiculous.  The girls usually cost about $60 a day and will share a room which you can find for around $40 a day  For a hundred a day plus food you can have a great vacation on exotic islands.  Most most models are also fun and entertaining to hang out with after the shooting time as well.  Much cheaper and more fun than my old golf vacations that used to burn through my wallet.

Mar 06 18 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Beyond Boudoir wrote:
I will be at the Arizona Shootout in April.  It's a nice contrast to shooting solo with a single model all the time.  I do wish there was more time to socialize with other photographers.  Due to the great weather and stunning models, every photog in the group seems quite focused on shooting or setting up shoots with models.

If any other photographers want to socialize at the AZSO in April, drop me a note and maybe we can do dinner.

There is time to socialize with other photographers.  I have socialized with other photographers both before and during the Arizona Shootout.

I also have socialized with models.

Mar 06 18 02:48 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Select Models wrote:
:

been so long I  forgot the name.

Mar 07 18 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

martin b wrote:
been so long I  forgot the name.

LOL... 24 years and counting... first shoot was in 94 at Hot Springs Photo with 8 models and 23 photographers... over 400 groupshoots since then... in Laguna... in Mt. Baldy... at the SM Studios in Upland... on a dozen Cruiseboat Photoshoots... at carshows and airshows... in estate homes and mansion locations all over Southern California.  The 500 image portfolio here is a serious walk down memory lane... PARTY ON!... borat

Mar 07 18 01:02 pm Link