Forums > Critique > Male Model Looking For Brutal Honesty

Model

Alasdair Glimfeather

Dayton, Ohio, US

Hey all, just getting started on my modeling and MM journey, and would love some brutal honest critiques. Hit me hard, so I can learn and grow.

Thank you!!!
(/◕ヮ◕)/

Mar 05 18 08:06 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

IanNiswonger wrote:
Hey all, just getting started on my modeling and MM journey, and would love some brutal honest critiques. Hit me hard, so I can learn and grow.

Thank you!!!
(/◕ヮ◕)/

Without specifically referencing shots in your portfolio, I will repeat advice/comments frequently given regarding male nudes. It's sometimes difficult for males to present poses that don't appear to be exhibitionist shots rather than artistic ones.  Watch your poses carefully and work with people very experienced in artistic male nudes.

Also, be aware that the main market for male nudes including artistic work is with the gay community.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it can be a good market, but you need to be aware that is who you are marketing your nude work to and be comfortable with that.

Mar 06 18 08:19 am Link

Model

Alasdair Glimfeather

Dayton, Ohio, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

Without specifically referencing shots in your portfolio, I will repeat advice/comments frequently given regarding male nudes. It's sometimes difficult for males to present poses that don't appear to be exhibitionist shots rather than artistic ones.  Watch your poses carefully and work with people very experienced in artistic male nudes.

Also, be aware that the main market for male nudes including artistic work is with the gay community.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it can be a good market, but you need to be aware that is who you are marketing your nude work to and be comfortable with that.

I appreciate the advice! Thank you very much! (/◕ヮ◕)/

Apr 04 18 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

L_O_N_D_O_N

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, that's good advice.

Personally, it's a turn-off to see explicit male nudes (such as those in your port and others) -- just as it's a turn-off to me to see explicit female nudes (i.e. that clearly showing all female genitalia).

I *try* to be artistic with my female nudes (you're welcome to see my port)... maybe not there yet, but at least that's the aim.

For male nudes the same can be done.

Nudity is not easy to make pretty. It can be done, but it takes real talent, both behind the camera, and in front (in how you pose). So again, I agree with the advice already given: try to work with quality photographers. Plus advice of my own: study some of the best artistic male nudes out there. Study their poses. Then practice those poses. It will likely help your next shoot.

Apr 15 18 01:13 am Link