Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yeah, I'm paranoid about data.  I manage a small network, and we get 2 different backup's during the week via Acronis.  A daily incremental, and a weekend incremental.  I routinely erase a file, and recover, just to make sure the catalog is still valid.

I took an old PC and am setting up a RAID 5 on it, but I want to be able to copy file folders and files within off the server to a mapped drive to the RAID, which will be in another part of the building over the weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions on a free program that they use, that will copy files and folders on a scheduled time?  This of course is just a 2nd backup outside of Acronis.

TIA

Mar 11 18 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

I use SyncBack - it has worked reliably for me for years doing exactly what you want to do.

Mar 11 18 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thanks ML... I'll take a peek.

Mar 11 18 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I use Robocopy and Task Scheduler that's part of Windows.  You would use Robocopy just like any other command prompt program.  I like it because it maintains the datetime stamp unlike other copy commands.  I would just have it in a .bat file. 

Here's a sample:

REM *** DATA (F) Drive *** 
robocopy "f:" "H:backupsData (F) Drive" /dcopy:t /r:0 /w:0 /xf *.tmp /s /copy:dat /a-:RSH /xd "f:$Recycle.Bin" "f:RECYCLER" "f:System Volume Information" /log:"C:UsersEddieDocumentsBKUP Data (F) Drive.txt"

REM *** Photo Archive (P) *** 
robocopy "p:" "H:backupsPhoto Archive (P) Drive" /dcopy:t /r:0 /w:0 /xf *.tmp /s /copy:dat /a-:RSH /xd "p:$Recycle.Bin" "p:RECYCLER" "p:System Volume Information" /log:"C:UsersEddieDocumentsPhoto Archive (P).txt"

REM *** RAW (R) *** 
robocopy "R:" "H:backupsRAW (R)" /dcopy:t /r:0 /w:0 /xf *.tmp /s /copy:dat /a-:RSH /xd "r:$Recycle.Bin" "r:RECYCLER" "r:System Volume Information" /log:"C:UsersEddieDocumentsRAW (R).txt"

REM *** this ensures the folders are visible ***
h:
cd backups
attrib -s -h "Data (F) Drive"
attrib -s -h "Photo Archive (P) Drive"
attrib -s -h "RAW (R)"

exit

Mar 11 18 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

No software to recommend, sorry.  I tend to do it all manually.  As soon as I'm done with a session, I copy the camera's files to four different folders on four different disk drives (two each on two different PCs).  Then, these get backed up with the normal weekly backup process.

Every quarter, I copy my entire archive onto an external disk & take that disk to a buddy's house.  That way, if my house burns down, not all is lost.  I should swap out that off-site disk more often.

I don't trust Cloud storage.

Beat that for paranoia.

Mar 11 18 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

well, when it comes to my studio images, that's taken care of.

1 copy on my main system
1 copy on a RAID 5 NAS
1 copy at an external site on a server
1 copy google cloud

I'm good there. 

This is for a small company that I do I.T work for during the 1st half of the day.  We're using 2 storage mediums.  1 external USB docking station, and (1) terabyte network device at the other end of the building.  The file server runs Acronis on it, and works fine, but I like folders and files -vs- some type of catalog system... wink

My drives come in tomorrow for the small Raid box I've setup.  I'll take a look at ya'll suggestions.

thanks

Mar 11 18 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 12 18 06:01 pm Link