Forums > Model Colloquy > Crotch shots...or full frontal nudes restrictions?

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Hello,

So, long story short I'm going back to Toronto, Canada to visit my family and friends and wanted to book a model and do a nude photo shoot while I'm there. The last time I was in Canada was two years ago and I did a shoot with a fantastic model, and before that it was 4 years ago before I left.

Anyways, 2 out of the 3 models that got back to me with their rates also had a rule about no photos taken of their crotch, or with their legs open, or even a full frontal shot unless they can have their hand or something else covering that area. Now, I didn't hear about this restriction two years ago when I shot with the last model, and it sure as hell didn't exist about 4 years back when I was shooting nudes more regularly.

So, my question is this, is this a new restriction that models have made up, and if it is then is there a specific reason for it?

I understand that they don't want their crotch to show in photos, but if someone wants to do an art/macro shot of that area then obviously they'd never book this model, and for the rest of the people that want to do normal Playboy style nudes then we can't book that model either. I don't have the time to check to make sure that nothing is showing and being restricted to no full frontal shots, or having to check if the model's legs are open too much or not enough is also not something I'm interested in.

Can someone let me know what's going on with this new "restriction" as well as how you feel about it as models or photographers?

Mar 13 18 10:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

It is a personal preference of the models.   If it is an accommodation that fits with your vision, then shoot with one of them.  If not, shoot with someone else.

Mar 13 18 11:14 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd say you just happened upon a couple models with the same disinterest in having their genitals shown, I wouldn't say it's a new trend among the general nude model populace.

Unfortunately the idea that someone who is trying to shoot genital-focused images just wouldn't book a person who isn't into it isn't entirely true. A lot of us have found out after the fact that shots were snuck in when we weren't looking/were turned away, while they were "just testing the light" or "whoops zoomed in too far". There's a fairly common gross fascination with trying to sneak in shots one shouldn't be taking or seeing just how far a model's limits can be pushed. There was a time where my credited images folder showed an incredibly low quality pixelated crop of just my vulva - it was taken from a full-body image that was shot from across a room at an "art nude" workshop. Dude just really focused on my junk. People do that, and it sucks. Some models attempt to mitigate that possibility. Others simply just don't want their genitals showing.

Keep browsing. There's still plenty of locals without those particular restrictions.

Mar 13 18 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

PIEntertainment wrote:
Hello,

So, long story short I'm going back to Toronto, Canada to visit my family and friends and wanted to book a model and do a nude photo shoot while I'm there. The last time I was in Canada was two years ago and I did a shoot with a fantastic model, and before that it was 4 years ago before I left.

Anyways, 2 out of the 3 models that got back to me with their rates also had a rule about no photos taken of their crotch, or with their legs open, or even a full frontal shot unless they can have their hand or something else covering that area. Now, I didn't hear about this restriction two years ago when I shot with the last model, and it sure as hell didn't exist about 4 years back when I was shooting nudes more regularly.

So, my question is this, is this a new restriction that models have made up, and if it is then is there a specific reason for it?

I understand that they don't want their crotch to show in photos, but if someone wants to do an art/macro shot of that area then obviously they'd never book this model, and for the rest of the people that want to do normal Playboy style nudes then we can't book that model either. I don't have the time to check to make sure that nothing is showing and being restricted to no full frontal shots, or having to check if the model's legs are open too much or not enough is also not something I'm interested in.

Can someone let me know what's going on with this new "restriction" as well as how you feel about it as models or photographers?

Since you asked specifically "how you feel about it as ... photographers," I will posit that these are simply models who are comfortable doing what have been termed "implied" nudes and are being very specific about their limitations. That you found two out of three in a single search seems to be nothing more than coincidence unless there was something in your job posting that brought about the specific response.

Mar 13 18 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Many models have these limitations.  Some are more daring and don't care about it.
I have taken full frontal nudes but am not obsessed with doing this.

Mar 14 18 02:01 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

PIEntertainment wrote:
I don't have the time to check to make sure that nothing is showing and being restricted to no full frontal shots, or having to check if the model's legs are open too much or not enough is also not something I'm interested in.

Just find and work with models who shoot the styles in which you are interested, and don't spend energy on the ones who don't. It's really not any more complicated than that, in my opinion.

Mar 14 18 02:13 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Personally, I think there has been a shift in mindset of many models.  These days, there are unending numbers of places that a photographer can post images publicly.  It used to be that the images weren't distributed so widely so it wasn't an issue. Now facial recognition software makes it impossible to keep nude images private. There are internet trolls who make it their goal in life to discover the identities of women they see in images, and there are forums where they link the models' real names with their stage names, making it linked in google searches for years to come.

Society's perception of nudity is changing in this country as well, and as it does, society's perception of models who pose for explicit photography changes with it.  So it isn't that a model necessarily has a problem with showing their body... it's that they don't want to be judged or punished when those images are discovered online by someone they know.

Mar 14 18 06:08 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

MoRina wrote:
Personally, I think there has been a shift in mindset of many models.  These days, there are unending numbers of places that a photographer can post images publicly.  It used to be that the images weren't distributed so widely so it wasn't an issue. Now facial recognition software makes it impossible to keep nude images private. There are internet trolls who make it their goal in life to discover the identities of women they see in images, and there are forums where they link the models' real names with their stage names, making it linked in google searches for years to come.

Society's perception of nudity is changing in this country as well, and as it does, society's perception of models who pose for explicit photography changes with it.  So it isn't that a model necessarily has a problem with showing their body... it's that they don't want to be judged or punished when those images are discovered online by someone they know.

That's what I see as well.  And eventually, someone a model knows will find those photos, or a total stranger who has seen the photos will approach her in a public place and ask if she's a model.  It's never a matter of if they will be recognized, it's a matter of when that will happen.

I have been recognized a number of times over the years based on artwork or photos I had posed for which were on display in galleries or online.  For many of us who only model as a hobby, it could cause major issues if a conservative employer found out and disapproved of it. I think that's the biggest issue for some models, therefore they are making restrictions on how they will pose in an effort to minimize any future problems that could occur.

I'm one that usually has been OK with showing everything I have including open legs, and never hesitated to allow full frontal shots, but things are now changing enough to make many of us think twice about how we pose and how those photos or artwork are going to be displayed.  Do I pose with open legs and the genital area clearly visible? Yes.  Would I pose like that with everyone I might possibly work with? No.

Mar 14 18 08:20 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I've heard of this before, but I wouldn't say it's common among all nude models. I'd side with MoRina in saying that it could be partly due to how far the images spread, the multitude of places the end up posted, etc. I also think Laura is correct in saying that models are worried about genitalia focused shots and it's easier to just have that as a limit in what they'll show in a photo at all. I've also had photographers sneak shots while shooting that I'm not happy with - usually for me it's in the process of a complicated figure pose. Fortunately I have so much pubic hair, macro shots of genitalia are impossible.

But as for that being a general trend, I'd say it's not. I don't personally know anyone who doesn't allow full frontal shots while modeling nude - though open leg shots are a whole other story. I'd just work on finding models who have quite a few examples of what you're looking to shoot in their portfolio already, and not worry too much about it.

Mar 14 18 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

OP, when I think nudes, I'm thinking implied, frontal, no frontal, and erotic/open leg.  So, in your casting call/communication, it's probably best to make it clear what you're wanting to shoot instead of putting out just a "nude" shoot then having to deal with finding out their limitations when they reply/apply, or on the day off.

Mar 14 18 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I have always advised models to own what they have done and how they have been photographed. Do not pose naked if you are too shy to show everyone on earth what your skin looks like, and if you do pose naked, make no bones about it. Be big and bold and brash about it, and the trolls will shrink from you in fear you will damage their cherished bullshit beliefs. But if you ever cower before those asshats, they will beat you mercilessly.

Vanessa Williams and Madonna have two tales that illustrate this. When Vanessa was Miss America and confronted with nude photos she had done, she apologized and was promptly stripped of her title. When Madonna was called out for having been a nude model in NY back before she made it as a singer, she laughed in the face of the accuser, and told him to stuff it where the sun don't shine, that she was proud of her work, all of it, and she didn't care what anyone said. The story died on the vine, and a couple years later she went out and posed nude again for her book, just to make the point clear.

And one thing is clear, if you make yourself out to be a victim, you will be victimized. If you are loud and proud, "they" will generally leave you alone.

Mar 14 18 12:43 pm Link

Model

Susihukka

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

The fact that digital content, once published, cannot be controlled anymore certainly plays a part in those restrictions. In some countries, nudity in general and even more so modeling is considered shameful or at least morally questionable, so people's easy access to face-matching software can definitely put a damper on a model's willingness to pose nude and make the model impose restrictions on what may or may not appear on camera.

Personally, I've made it a point to NOT agree to posing for photographers with a questionable reputation or whose portfolio does not make me go HELL YEAH in response to an offer to model for them.

However, if the photographer has a good reputation, if their portfolio speaks for itself, and if the concept they wanna shoot with me sounds fun, I'll jump in with the tacit agreement that nudity means that any skin that shows is fair game.

Mar 14 18 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

"Madonna was called out for having been a nude model in NY back before she made it as a singer, she laughed in the face of the accuser, and told him to stuff it where the sun don't shine, that she was proud of her work, all of it, and she didn't care what anyone said"

She posed for a bunch of photographers including, I think, Lee Friedlander.

Nowadays, almost any woman (and some guys) in entertainment will have posed: Olympians; Ali Raisman, April Ross; Singers, Lady GaGa, Erikah Baydu, Miley Cyrus. Actresses: just about all of them.  Excuse the spelling-- just working from the top of my head. Hardly "scandalous" anymore. Many models here hold regular, "normal" day jobs.

Mar 14 18 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I'll probably be strung up by my proverbials by my photographer colleagues for saying this, but why not just handle this by simply not shooting anything that's outside the model's comfort zone and making that a part of the original agreement?

I've been surprised many times by models who have been not only willing but who have requested going beyond the stated limits, probably as often as I've been surprised by models who have asked for more restrictions once the shoot has begun.  It's more often a matter of the individual pose than a general restriction in my experience.  My way of dealing with this is to allow, within the model release, the model the right to restrict from publication by either of us, any image that goes beyond her personal boundaries.  If that decision comes after the pictures have been posted, I have no problem making it retroactive.  In over 10 years of shooting primarily nudes of one sort or another, I've only had three such requests.  Granted I shot trade only and for publication only in my own portfolio, so there is no financial consideration.  If I were paying the model or being paid to produce images for a third party client, obviously that policy might change, but then again, it might not.

As a group, I sometimes think that we photographers would be well advised to consider such a refusal as more of a legitimate appraisal of the artistic value of our work than as evidence of the model's prudery.  Our work and its acceptance by the modeling as well as the general artistic community might very well be improved thereby.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 14 18 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

PIEntertainment wrote:
Now, I didn't hear about this restriction two years ago when I shot with the last model, and it sure as hell didn't exist about 4 years back when I was shooting nudes more regularly.

Your impression that a model's right and tendency to be selective about their posing limitation is patently wrong. You're flippant suggestion that it didn't is irresponsible and borderline disrespectful.

What ever gives you the impression that an individual model does not have the right to set their own working parameters?

Mar 14 18 04:49 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dan Howell wrote:

Your impression that a model's right and tendency to be selective about their posing limitation is patently wrong. You're flippant suggestion that it didn't is irresponsible and borderline disrespectful.

What ever gives you the impression that an individual model does not have the right to set their own working parameters?

He's asking if what he's encountered is a new pattern or trend among a majority of models, not saying that "back then" models across the board did not have a say in how they posed.

Mar 14 18 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I usually ask what their limits are either when arranging the shoot or during the shoot, but my model release states that the model can choose what is not posted online

Mar 15 18 03:12 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I think it's just a way for models to sort out the serious photographers from the creepers.  Honestly, anyone who spends thousands of dollars on photography equipment in addition to modeling fees just to take a photo of a woman's crotch must be out of their mind.  Just google "naked girl" with the "safe filter" off and you come to realize that "it has been done."

As a photographer, however, I think that models who place so many restrictions on what I can and cannot photograph are too difficult to work with.  I'd rather work with someone who tells me, "Photograph anything you like."  Then it's on me to show the model in the best light because new models won't work with someone whose portfolio looks like a medical reference manual.

Mar 15 18 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

He's asking if what he's encountered is a new pattern or trend among a majority of models, not saying that "back then" models across the board did not have a say in how they posed.

He made an emphatic, incorrect statement about a very well discussed topic.

Mar 15 18 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

MarkGerrardPhotography wrote:
I usually ask what their limits are either when arranging the shoot or during the shoot, but my model release states that the model can choose what is not posted online

Your model release gives the model post-shoot censorship authority? Do I understand correctly?

Mar 15 18 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Dan Howell wrote:

He was asking if this particular restriction was a new trend. He was not saying that a model doesn't have the right to set her own boundaries.

You got outraged over something that he never said.

Mar 15 18 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

In most cases, it’s probably a line they don’t want to cross for personal reasons, period.

In other cases, they may simply be attempting to filter out the clueless weirdos who shoot sleazy, artless images. They can always waive the restriction if a particular photographer is good enough, and trustworthy enough, to make an exception for.

Mar 15 18 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I'm not going to address the "white knight" comments, that was so 2008 that it's not even funny. Just to add more info to my original post the models didn't give me the answer based on something I said.

The first model has on her profile information that she doesn't shoot spread legs poses, and also Playboy style nudes however she did message me with her rates and her availability for a photo shoot which I said it was a hotel room Playboy style shoot...so that doesn't make any sense.

The second model doesn't mention her "restriction" on her profile page but when she messaged me with her rates she mentioned it and also said that she only did full frontal for Playboy only and so she doesn't do any open legs shots or full frontal nudes for other people because it doesn't benefit her...not sure what that means exactly.

So, both models are obviously not shy about doing full frontal/spread shots, they have done it before but one doesn't want to do it anymore and only do "art" shots which is fine, and the second one will only do it for Playboy. However, both models' rates are top dollar rates per hour for doing nude photo shoots IF the photographer agrees to their restrictions.

I have never had any interest in shooting macro shots of women's vaginas, if I did then I would state that up front and I would pay the models whatever for those type of shots, the only photo shoot in which I got even close to that is my Sushi photo shoot where the models knew ahead of time I'd be shooting specific body parts with sushi on them, as well as their full body and that I require them to be fully shaved so that it maintains a clean look. The concept of the shoot was that the models are the table/background for the sushi which is the main subject in the photos, you can see these pics in my portfolio in the sushi folder.

All my other nude photo shoots with models have been in a Playboy style without the models spreading the legs, their labia or God knows what other things they could be possibly spreading.

Back to my main question as I said back 5-6 years ago when I booked a model for a nude shoot they used to message me and ask me if I want them fully shaved, landing strip or what since they knew it is a NUDE photo shoot, not a bikini or lingerie only shoot...but now it seems like they don't even want to show their lower area which once covered makes the photo shoot IMPLIED nude/Topless shoot and they might as well be wearing panties and doing a lingerie shoot at that point.

I have nothing against models that choose not to show their crotch, and I understand that they have had "bad" experiences with photographers before and I always have had the best time talking and shooting nude models, they are awesome people. However don't ask full rates payment to be booked for a "NUDE" shoot only to start making restrictions which would cause the final shoot/images to basically look like implied nudes covering the crotch area with hands, or other objects.

Hope this helps to clarify my point of view and that I have nothing against models that don't want to show their nether regions, and they can choose whatever poses they'd like to do if they find a photographer willing to pay them in full with the aforementioned restrictions!

Mar 15 18 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

PIEntertainment wrote:
All my other nude photo shoots with models have been in a Playboy style without the models spreading the legs, their labia or God knows what other things they could be possibly spreading.

How do you not see that you are answering your own question? The fact that you reference 'Playboy style' which has been not only a useful but widely used term for posing limitation shows that you have heard of the concept. Models have used it for years. Photographers have understood it for years. There has been no demonstrable change in the number of models stating their posing limitations. What is more apparent is your lack of experience.

Referencing different magazines has been a common paradigm for photographers and models to communicate posing limitations and photoshoot expectations for as long as there has been web glamour modeling. Some of us have been around here that whole time. Your inference that it "it sure as hell didn't exist about 4 years back when I was shooting nudes more regularly." is plain wrong. It just did. Playboy-style has been a widely euphemism for closed-leg nudes for at least 20 years that I have been aware of.  Perfect-10 is a different magazine that had different criteria. Then there was Maxim on one side of the line and Hustler on the other. Magazines are often sited as reference for posing limitation. This demonstrates that incremental posing limitations are a definite part of the nude modeling industry. That is just a fact. If you want to debate what 'Playboy-style' specifically means, that is another topic entirely.

I don't have a problem with you coming in to a forum and asking a question. But that is not what you did. You wrapped your question around a definitive statement that is just false. Now you are pushing back? You are welcome to your opinions. You can even make inferences based on your experience, but you can't make sweeping proclamations about a large section of models and photographers that is inaccurate and not expect to get called on it. I don't know if it was circumstantial, you weren't paying attention, or you 'regularly' was such a small number compared to those of us who actually do this professionally. Everyone should note you made this inference from responses of 3 models. For emphasis 3 MODELS.

Finally, I'm not making this shit up. This has been widely discuss not only here but before in the OMP days, before that in the webmodels.com days. Here's a thread from this very forum from 2005 that dives in to the topic:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/521987/1

from 2012
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/853324

Mar 16 18 05:29 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

MarkGerrardPhotography wrote:

me too

if they don't like it...it's shitcanned before it appears anywhere else but the private proofing album

that way there is never any grief

Mar 16 18 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

Such restrictions are common.  Nude doesn't always mean completely nude.  I always ask they have any restrictions.   If I feel those restrictions are too limiting to work around I'll just find another model.

PIEntertainment wrote:
The first model has on her profile information that she doesn't shoot spread legs poses, and also Playboy style nudes however she did message me with her rates and her availability for a photo shoot which I said it was a hotel room Playboy style shoot...so that doesn't make any sense.

The second model doesn't mention her "restriction" on her profile page but when she messaged me with her rates she mentioned it and also said that she only did full frontal for Playboy only and so she doesn't do any open legs shots or full frontal nudes for other people because it doesn't benefit her...not sure what that means exactly.

So, both models are obviously not shy about doing full frontal/spread shots, they have done it before but one doesn't want to do it anymore and only do "art" shots which is fine, and the second one will only do it for Playboy. However, both models' rates are top dollar rates per hour for doing nude photo shoots IF the photographer agrees to their restrictions.

That is different story from normal restrictions.  These sound like models who use a history of nudes and credits to ask for higher rates without delivering what's on their resume that warrants a higher rate.   When I come across a models who charges everyone top dollar but plays favorites on who gets restrictions or not.  I'll just find another model.

Mar 16 18 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
Such restrictions are common.  Nude doesn't always mean completely nude.  I always ask they have any restrictions.   If I feel those restrictions are too limiting to work around I'll just find another model.

That is different story from normal restrictions.  These sound like models who use a history of nudes and credits to ask for higher rates without delivering what's on their resume that warrants a higher rate.   When I come across a models who charges everyone top dollar but plays favorites on who gets restrictions or not.  I'll just find another model.

This is exactly what I was thinking about, and in the world of business it's called "bait and switch". I'm sure everyone is aware of that term where you offer something and deliver something else. They are using their previous portfolio pics and credits to still ask for the higher rate for nudes but they give you restrictions which the previous photographers that worked with them on the previous pics didn't have, but now for some reason, they expect you to pay them the same but with restrictions.

That's why I thought it's a recent development, as I said in my previous two posts already, in the past the models did not have this no crotch shots no full frontal nudes restrictions, they did say Playboy style nudes, no open lips, no toying or other sexual poses which is fine, but not that yes they shoot NUDES but not from the front, unless then can cover their crotch with something.

As for the other comment if someone is nude but covering a part of their body, crotch, boobs, etc...with their hand, or a hat or something it becomes implied nude IMMEDIATELY since the idea of seeing the hidden part is well...implied...you can't see it. IF this is a dificult concept for you to grasp then the problem is with you not me. I never book models that do only IMPLIED nudes due to such a restriction, it's basically not nudes at all, but they want the higher rate for posing.

Mar 17 18 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have no problem finding models who do complete nudes!

Mar 17 18 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have no problem finding models who do complete nudes!

What are their restrictions ? wink

Mar 17 18 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

PIEntertainment wrote:
That's why I thought it's a recent development, as I said in my previous two posts already, in the past the models did not have this no crotch shots no full frontal nudes restrictions, they did say Playboy style nudes, no open lips, no toying or other sexual poses which is fine, but not that yes they shoot NUDES but not from the front, unless then can cover their crotch with something.

You just don't give up. You apparently don't have any concept of what has happened in the past. We have to assume it is because of your lack of experience. I know one model on your 'wish list' who has the exact limitation that you are complaining about. You can't stomp up and down about this new 'trend' when is has simply been around as long as web/glamour model has been around as well.

Your whining is tedious to those of who have spent the time communicating with literally hundreds of models and hammered out successful shoots within everyone's comfort zone and ended up with satisfying images. As someone who has shot for magazines at every level of exposure  from Maxim to Hustler, I can tell you not every model is available for every level of posing. Duh! Everyone here knows this. You are implying that there is a current trend that is new and uncharted when photographers who actually do this work regularly have known and accommodated it for decades.

Wake up. It is you, not them. You do understand that you can't leverage what a model has done with one photographer to force her into doing something that she doesn't want to do with you, right? I think there is a word for that...  You might consider that there was a quality or comfort level difference in what you are offering. That is not bait and switch because a model's fee is not a fixed commodity. Neither is a photographer's fee. I doubt you've actually had to negotiate a commercial project with a professional client, but even you can imagine how many times photographers get asked 'how much do you charge for a shoot?' on an unknown quantity or complexity project. Photographer's have to deal with educating clients about scale of rates, usage, expenses all of the time. There is no one answer. We all have parameters...including models.

Mar 18 18 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I agree Dan!

Mar 18 18 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I’ve seen that “don’t” on models do’s/don’ts lists since I first signed up on MM

Mar 20 18 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

What are their restrictions ? wink

Some models have none.

Mar 22 18 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Without seeing your work is there anything in your port that prompts such a response?
Maybe these models have been approached many times to do open leg shots and are being up front with that before you ask.
Maybe you just happened upon a couple models who do not shoot those types of images.

Just honor their limits and book them or move on if you are looking to shoot the crotch area.

Mar 25 18 09:21 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Just based on the photos in model portfolios, there is no shortage of women willing to pose as you request, so the easiest solution is to find those models and hire them.

Mar 26 18 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Figure Fantasy

Lexington, Kentucky, US

having read the responses thought i would add a comment.
excuse me if you feel this to be in the wrong place not trying to hijack the thread but as it relates to model comfort and privacy and facial recognition software it could be worth mentioning:

if people were diligent about removing the exif info from images before posting it would greatly deter them being located in searches.

maybe this needs to be brought up somewhere else so that more people would see it and fight for the last ounce of privacy we have remaining.

it only takes a second to delete the info

Mar 26 18 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

JJAG Photography

Sheridan, Wyoming, US

I don't focus on crotch pictures. and I never ask a model to shoot it. so I don't have this issue. but I have seen a increase of limitations with nude models. I was talking to one model to hire who just wanted to wear a thong. Which at the time I couldn't think of anything creative with a thong. I also only use my pictures for Model Mayhem. so normally full nude isn't a issue. and I try to respect the model as a person so their body isn'y splashed over everything.

Mar 27 18 07:38 am Link

Photographer

PIEntertainment

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

JJAG Photography wrote:
I don't focus on crotch pictures. and I never ask a model to shoot it. so I don't have this issue. but I have seen a increase of limitations with nude models. I was talking to one model to hire who just wanted to wear a thong. Which at the time I couldn't think of anything creative with a thong. I also only use my pictures for Model Mayhem. so normally full nude isn't a issue. and I try to respect the model as a person so their body isn'y splashed over everything.

Yeah, my point exactly, so called nude models that want to charge top $ rates per hour but want to wear panties or thongs in the photos and keep saying they are nude, instead of topless or implied.
Usually lingerie models say they must wear lingerie and sometimes they pull the bra down or go topless for some shots but they charge lingerie or bikini modeling rates.
Again this has nothing to do with the model's comfort level, if they are not comfortable nude then don't pose nude, it's that easy, also don't answer to nude playboy style casting calls only to later mention that you must wear a thong or cover your crotch area during the shoot.
Or even worse try to argue that playboy now has spread shots so they can't do playboy style nudes either, maybe they want to do Greek antique statues style nudes, like David or some other statue, even he posed full frontal for that statue to be made.
I bet the model for that statue didn't say he will be nude but he has to cover his penis with his hand or something.

Mar 27 18 10:58 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Some of what you're posting reads pretty aggressively, OP.

I think part of the problem is that you are viewing the rates as tiered (bikini rates vs nude rates, etc)...
Like, it appears you are seeing it as, "They charge 'nude rates' but won't pose 'nude.'"

A lot of models do not tier their rates based on exposure. Everyone has their own rate. Sometimes, they fit an average, but that doesn't mean they're ultimately structured the same.

For example, plenty of models will charge the exact same (or more) to be clothed because the styling is more intensive, and they have to bring massive bags of clothing.

In short:
Let models have whatever restrictions they want. Let them charge what they want.

If they are being clear in their messages to you when you guys talk about it, then that's all that matters. S/he isn't "baiting and switching" if they are stating their limitations upfront in their emails.

Do your part and ask so you can be sure they are OK with what you want too. Provide examples.

Mar 27 18 11:51 am Link