Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Most frustrating questions you get?

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

What are some of the most frustrating questions you get in regards to you being a stylist/makeup artist/spfx artist/etc.?

For me, it's "ARE YOU CERTIFIED?!"

Apr 07 18 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Vi Synster wrote:
What are some of the most frustrating questions you get in regards to you being a stylist/makeup artist/spfx artist/etc.?

For me, it's "ARE YOU CERTIFIED?!"

To me, that's like asking a plumber or an electrician if he is licensed. One is working on my house and the other is working on my face.

Apr 07 18 06:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

Most makeup certifications mean almost nothing.  I have an MFA in Wig and Makeup design and spent three years intensively studying my craft, but I am not technically certified.
Do you really want a plumber who went to a three day seminar and has a printed certificate someone designed and printed on their home computer?

My frustration questions:  “how do I make gold leaf stick” (asked 10 million times already), “Why can’t I use this non toxic craft paint for my paint drip shoot?”, and “Can you copy this exact hair and makeup look for me?”

Apr 07 18 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Wigs and Makeup Allison wrote:
Do you really want a plumber who went to a three day seminar and has a printed certificate someone designed and printed on their home computer?

In my location, a plumber is licensed by the state.  It has nothing to do with a home computer.

Apr 07 18 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mark Salo wrote:
...In my location, a plumber is licensed by the state...

Mark Maryland actually did license Makeup Artists (Cosmologist License in Makeup Artistry)... Without same you could not work on the general public in a salon...

Currently many jurisdictions (State of Florida, NYC etc.) still require obtaining a license to work on the general public... btw, which is totally different than "certification" which as pointed out above is virtually meaningless...

At issue is sanitation... ask any model who has done lots of fashion/runway shows about conjunctivitis i.e. pink eye... which is the bane of the above events... There are far too many clueless emerging MUA's who think sanitation doesn't apply to makeup applications...  In my formal training for licensing in the state of Maryland the first month was primarily focused on skin morphology, physiology and the various pathogens and pathological conditions of the epidermis... We had to master this before we were allowed to work on other individuals.

To the OP, the most frustrating questions I receive as a makeup artist is for advice on skin related medical issues... Makeup artist are not licensed to practice medicine, nor provide medical guidance other than refer the client to an esthetician or dermatologist who is licensed to practice in the client's jurisdiction...  The most frustrating task by far is covering a bride's ink (or other members of the wedding party).  Without exception they all say the same thing... "why was I so stupid to get this tattoo..."  btw, medical removal of tattoos is rather expensive (thousands of dollar involving a series of treatments) and also usually very unpleasant (it can be and oft is a painful experience).  Enough said...

Hope this helps Vi Synster.
I wish you well on your journey...

Apr 08 18 07:36 am Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I think another frustrating question is "But acrylic says non-toxic, why can't I use it on my kids?"

Apr 08 18 10:49 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

"What brand are you using? I use Mac. Why don't you use it? I never heard of that brand is it good"?  And "where can I buy it? It private  label no you can't walk into Sephora and get it". These use to be on the top of stupid questions. Yes I know no question is stupid. However when the client is trying to prove they know more then you, it's a stupid question. I used to answer "I don't know " and changed the subject

Apr 11 18 02:31 pm Link