Forums > Photography Talk > When you send out 100+ emails to local models

Photographer

madheiress

Saxapahaw, North Carolina, US

...and get 4 or 5 replies. Sheesh. The emails are well written - professional, informative. Maybe it's the TFP only aspect, but it's still surprising to me that with a portfolio that's as diverse, creative, and developed as on my website and my IG, there is such a paltry response rate.

This is probably just another "MM is dying thread, IG and FB are so much better" but I can't help notice how little is going on in my area as far as models and MM go.

Anyway, complaint over. :-)

Apr 28 18 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I don't do this.
I work with models who contact me.
I also attend an event every year where there are about 30 models available to shoot.

Apr 28 18 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

huremics wrote:
...and get 4 or 5 replies. Sheesh. The emails are well written - professional, informative. Maybe it's the TFP only aspect, but it's still surprising to me that with a portfolio that's as diverse, creative, and developed as on my website and my IG, there is such a paltry response rate.

This is probably just another "MM is dying thread, IG and FB are so much better" but I can't help notice how little is going on in my area as far as models and MM go.

I think it's the TF plus the nudity plus the website publishing plus waiting 1-2 months for images (if the emails list the same things as the casting you have up right now).

Apr 28 18 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

madheiress

Designit - Edward Olson wrote:

I think it's the TF plus the nudity plus the website publishing plus waiting 1-2 months for images (if the emails list the same things as the casting you have up right now).

It's not exactly the same as the casting, so nudity isn't required. Most of the concepts I suggest are non-nude.
What do you mean re: the website?

Apr 28 18 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

...So you're complaining that you are spamming models on a massive scale and they don't think your work is good enough? I think there's something to complain about here, but not by you.

Put up a casting and stop hassling people. Mailing a model re. TFP is for special circumstances - a very specific match of interests and a high level of competence on your part (pretty much when you start to shoot trade agency models.)

Apr 29 18 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

For a mass mailing that is a fair rate of return.
Personally I do not use a shotgun approach but approach specific models I choose to work with, with a specific offer and like most things in life everything is negotiable.
Same for traveling models that approach me.

Apr 29 18 09:50 am Link

Photographer

madheiress

thiswayup wrote:
...So you're complaining that you are spamming models on a massive scale and they don't think your work is good enough? I think there's something to complain about here, but not by you.

Put up a casting and stop hassling people. Mailing a model re. TFP is for special circumstances - a very specific match of interests and a high level of competence on your part (pretty much when you start to shoot trade agency models.)

Nice troll reply there. It would be spamming if I were to send the same model repeated emails. Lol re: "hassling people." Maybe you're unclear what this site exists for - to network.

Apr 29 18 10:22 am Link

Photographer

madheiress

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
For a mass mailing that is a fair rate of return.
Personally I do not use a shotgun approach but approach specific models I choose to work with, with a specific offer and like most things in life everything is negotiable.
Same for traveling models that approach me.

That's a fair point. I don't send the same stock email out verbatim to everyone. I adjust it to an extent, either adding or removing concepts based on the model's style and list of interested genres.

Apr 29 18 10:23 am Link

Photographer

James William

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That's actually a decent return ratio.. 4-5% ? Much better than direct mail or instagram adverts ! you should be jumping for joy.

These communities in general are all what you put into them, for the most part. It's always been that way

Apr 29 18 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

huremics wrote:

It's not exactly the same as the casting, so nudity isn't required. Most of the concepts I suggest are non-nude.
What do you mean re: the website?

While Raleigh is more progressive than most of the state, it's still a fairly conservative area.  Some models might not like appearing on the same website with nudes.

Next time you might try offering "gas money" - A little something to encourage them to devote some time to you.  People have all sorts of things they could be doing with their time and they may expect more than just photographs.

Also, you might spend some time at the western end of the state near Asheville and Charlotte where you might find more artsy types.

Apr 30 18 12:01 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

huremics wrote:

Hi,
It might be a good idea to keep the initial feeler email very simple. What if the person isn't online, hasn't been here or is not currently shooting or interested. The initial hello will either go unnoticed or they'll reply with their status of interest or not. After then would I spend energy sharing my shoot details. Sure, I've done what you did and realized it is too much too soon.
Jen

Apr 30 18 07:33 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

As a model when I send out 100 messages to artists and photographers, if I can get as many as 10 to even reply it's a miracle. That's just the way it is, and sometimes replies come weeks or months later because it seems people don't bother to check their messages on a regular basis.  Out of the handful of replies, if I can get 2 or 3 that result in working together that would be amazing.

Apr 30 18 07:40 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

you have 5 pix in your MM portfolio..none of which is gonna do a model any good

put up some pix they may like/want/need

and keep asking

Apr 30 18 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Most successful people realize it is a far better investment to pay an experienced model $100 for a shoot rather than spend hours sending 100s of email to amateurs for TFP.

Apr 30 18 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Loki Studio wrote:
Most successful people realize it is a far better investment to pay an experienced model $100 for a shoot rather than spend hours sending 100s of email to amateurs for TFP.

This

Apr 30 18 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

A few thoughts:

1.  MM is dying....

2.  The nature of internet models seeking photographers and vice verse has changed over the last decade. Supply and demand is not what it used to be.

3.  Your casting call seeks TF for an 18+ shoot.  Many models doing nude work can get paid, so that's going to be hard to find.

4.  I looked at model availability in your area.  If you sent out 100 messages, you are either contacting models who haven't been active in quite some time, or haven't been shooting what you are interested in or both.  This is going to result in a very low response rate.

Apr 30 18 10:54 am Link

Photographer

madheiress

goofus  wrote:
you have 5 pix in your MM portfolio..none of which is gonna do a model any good

put up some pix they may like/want/need

and keep asking

MM is not a good place to view images IMO. In my email, I direct them to my site, which is by far the best way to view my work.

Apr 30 18 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

madheiress

Guss W wrote:

While Raleigh is more progressive than most of the state, it's still a fairly conservative area.  Some models might not like appearing on the same website with nudes.

Next time you might try offering "gas money" - A little something to encourage them to devote some time to you.  People have all sorts of things they could be doing with their time and they may expect more than just photographs.

Also, you might spend some time at the western end of the state near Asheville and Charlotte where you might find more artsy types.

Yeah, both those areas are 100x better than Raleigh, which is oddly lackluster. Recently returned from doing 10 shoots in Asheville, in fact.

Apr 30 18 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

madheiress

Jen B wrote:

Hi,
It might be a good idea to keep the initial feeler email very simple. What if the person isn't online, hasn't been here or is not currently shooting or interested. The initial hello will either go unnoticed or they'll reply with their status of interest or not. After then would I spend energy sharing my shoot details. Sure, I've done what you did and realized it is too much too soon.
Jen

That's a good point, thanks.

Apr 30 18 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

karljohnston wrote:
That's actually a decent return ratio.. 4-5% ? Much better than direct mail or instagram adverts ! you should be jumping for joy.

Agreed !

Apr 30 18 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

huremics wrote:

MM is not a good place to view images IMO. In my email, I direct them to my site, which is by far the best way to view my work.

maybe so..but the first thing they do after getting a message is click on your avatar, then on your MM portfolio ..you are probably losing 80 percent of those who even bother to click right there

Apr 30 18 10:11 pm Link

Model

Josslyn keow

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Agreed. You may lose most viewers with your link only policy
Why don't you use the benefit of your status to post more than 5 pics ?
I took the time to go to your book where you have many nice shots. I guess many gave up before...
On the other hand you complain with a low rate of answers from local models.
Either because of conservatism or lack of interest in your work you may try with traveling models.
Unfortunately you won't get many of them with a unattractive TFP +18 offer.

May 01 18 04:37 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

huremics wrote:

Nice troll reply there. It would be spamming if I were to send the same model repeated emails. Lol re: "hassling people." Maybe you're unclear what this site exists for - to network.

No, I'm not trolling. I sincerely think that you are a nuisance and suffer from grotesque over-entitlement.

May 01 18 05:07 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Oh god - you're the "Fruit ate itself" guy! I didn't realise I was talking to a celebrity...

May 01 18 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

Been saying this for at least 5 years... In MM hayday in my area i used to browse for new models everyday. And everyday it would be at least 10-20 new models. Now it can go MONTHS with just 2-3 new models added. At this point i've come to the conclusion i'm just donating money to MM for a subscription (for now). IG has taken over, it's just too bad the messaging system sucks.

May 01 18 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Shades Of Brown

Glenn Dale, Maryland, US

huremics wrote:

But with all my complaints.. I will say though, you WILL get responses from more people but some of those people wont respond for MONTHS... Because MM is NOT part of their daily routine.... If MM had a app maybe thing would be different..

May 01 18 09:12 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

huremics wrote:

I agree, it's just not MM. I am not getting any responses from FB groups I belong to. I was also talking to a model friend. She said the business, for her, is slow.

May 01 18 09:22 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Free, public, glamour modeling web sites seem unable to attract dependable, motivated individuals.

Minimal commitment, lethargic responses, and gross misunderstanding of how the professional photography world operates seems par for the course on web modeling sites.

I've written paid, real industry offers to novice talents in Georgia over many years, I don't have an exact total, perhaps 90, with a grand total of 2 actually employable as models, only 1 from mayhem, 1 from OMP.

The indecisive soon discover that legitimate work passes them by.

My mayhem portfolio features experienced agency talents exclusively.

Obviously, there will be no consequences to quitting my membership this month.

May 10 18 06:30 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

huremics wrote:
The emails are well written - professional, informative. Maybe it's the TFP only aspect, but it's still surprising to me that with a portfolio that's as diverse, creative, and developed as on my website and my IG, there is such a paltry response rate.

Would you like to meet in the 'critique' section?  wink

You complain about MM being dead, but your five images surely contribute to that. Why not keep a current portfolio on the networking platform that you expect replies from, that would get models interested in working with you, without having to click on a bunch of other links? And why don't you just send the messages on FB and cast on your IG then?
SMH.

May 10 18 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
You complain about MM being dead, but your five images surely contribute to that. Why not keep a current portfolio on the networking platform that you expect replies from, that would get models interested in working with you, without having to click on a bunch of other links? And why don't you just send the messages on FB and cast on your IG then?
SMH.

+1

Obviously I'm not a model but when I browse on MM if the portfolio doesn't interest me, I don't bother to click on any further links.

May 10 18 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

karljohnston wrote:
That's actually a decent return ratio.. 4-5% ? Much better than direct mail or instagram adverts ! you should be jumping for joy

You are comparing two different kinds of marketing. Direct mail generally goes to a diverse group where most of the recipients are not looking for services at that time. The plumber who sends out a mailing will be hitting only a small percentage of people who are currently looking for a plumber. Unless messages sent to models here are including those who have not logged on in a whle, they are going to a targeted group who *supposedly* are looking to work with photographers.

May 10 18 11:19 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Eye of the World wrote:
Unless messages sent to models here are including those who have not logged on in a whle, they are going to a targeted group who *supposedly* are looking to work with photographers.

Yes. But that doesn't mean that they're looking to shoot for free unless someone is both unusually good and shoots the style they want. If they were in the stage where they were shooting trade more or less indiscriminately, they'd put up a casting. So unless you're Ellen Unwerth, you really shouldn't expect much by mass mailings. Still less should you expect to be able to whine about them without people pointing out that you don't have anything to whine about.

May 12 18 05:36 am Link

Model

IlianaAlvarez

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Loki Studio wrote:

I love this! big_smile

Jun 11 18 07:05 pm Link