Forums > Photography Talk > Back Button Focus

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

A couple of weeks ago, one of my daughters got married. The photographers they hired (husband and wife team) have been shooting weddings for 13 years. More importantly (to me), they shoot Nikon. They each carried two D750s with different lenses. I spoke to them at the wedding and warned them I was an "Uncle Bob" and would have my gear at the reception for some candid shots. I let them know I would try not to get in their way and would not be using any flash.

At the reception, I had my D750 and D500, keeping one on the table, ready to shoot at a moment's notice. Throughout the night I spoke with them. One was shooting Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 Art, a lens I want to add to my arsenal. At the time, I had the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art on the D500 and neither was familiar with the D500 and had been thinking about getting the 50mm Art. I gave the camera to the wife and told her to go play with it and see what she thought. After a little while, she mentioned she couldn't get any shots in focus. I explained I use back button focus and the shutter is set to release only. Neither she or her husband knew what I was talking about. After a quick tutorial, she went back out and got a few more shots before an important part of the reception was about to happen, so she had to get back to "work", so went back to using her gear.

I was surprised they didn't use back button focus, or even heard of it. When I first learned the back button focus technique, it took a couple of days for muscle memory to take over and I've never looked back.

What are your thoughts/experiences using back button focus?

Jun 13 18 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Gene Cannon

Wendell, North Carolina, US

I have used back button focus many times and it really does a great job! I too have a Nikon.

Jun 13 18 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Personally, I find the back button focus is just a function they added because they could. I don't see the problem of half way pushing the shutter release button to lock focus. You talk about muscle memory, then teach your muscles not to push the button all the way down. I side with the wedding photographer on this one... and they don't need to know all the functions of all cameras especially the ones they have no intention of using.

Jun 13 18 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:
After a quick tutorial, she went back out and got a few more shots before an important part of the reception was about to happen, so she had to get back to "work", so went back to using her gear.

wedding, sports, action, wildlife photography are different from portrait photography. when you deal with constantly moving subjects, rear button focus is not necessarily an advantage. while a few sports photographers have used it, most action photographers do well with the normal focus operation by the shutter button.

for portrait and model work where the subject distance doesn't change too fast, it's fine. in some cases, it does work well in action shots; but that's a preference of the photographer's working style.

Jun 13 18 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
wedding, sports, action, wildlife photography are different from portrait photography. when you deal with constantly moving subjects, rear button focus is not necessarily an advantage. while a few sports photographers have used it, most action photographers do well with the normal focus operation by the shutter button.

for portrait and model work where the subject distance doesn't change too fast, it's fine. in some cases, it does work well in action shots; but that's a preference of the photographer's working style.

I completly agree with this.  I switch back and forth between these modes depending on the action.

Although, a friend who shoots Nikon, when shooting action sets his autofocus to the follow mode and has trained himself to keep the back button held down and fires away.  I haven't tried it with my Canon 5D3 because I don't think I'm coordinated enough to pull this off. smile

Jun 13 18 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Back button focus ? Why bother to use another finger to so the same thing when one (shutter release button) can do both? Events and action photography require that extra finger to perform additional task, such as changing aperture and shutter speed on fly. Oh, the focus point selection too.

Jun 13 18 10:57 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

I don't understand. What can be done with back button focus that can not be done with the normal shutter release button?

Jun 13 18 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

roger alan wrote:
I don't understand. What can be done with back button focus that can not be done with the normal shutter release button?

you pick where you want to focus and once focused, it doesn't change when you release the shutter. the camera won't decide to shift the focus point until you decide and press the rear af button again. for model work where the model is relatively stationary if prefer it. it is fast and easy - especially since being picky about where i am focused. it removes the focus function form the shutter button to the back af button.

not all photographers can get use to it nor understand the process. but have had many other photographers switch to it once they see it work. if you are used to "automatic" refocus each time you press the shutter or hold half-press and recompose, that's fine. coming from manual focus, for me to focus only when i need to, at the spot i want the focus and then release the shutter at the correct framing and time is much better.

Jun 13 18 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

OK that makes sense. Thank you Mr Gee.

Now I understand  how it works smile

Jun 13 18 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

BBF is my go to mode for all of my work, once you get the hang of it it really is superior for most paid gigs. It is also the natural place for my thumb to rest so it doesn't require anything special to make it work.

Maybe sport shooters find it another step and awkward but nature shooters use BBF all the time for wildlife.

Jun 13 18 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Worthington

Los Angeles, California, US

To me the most important feature of BBF is not toggling between single focus and continuous focus. I shoot Nikon as well and use the 3D continuous focus mode with back button focus, I can therefore focus and release (focus), recompose and take my shot in essentially a single focus mode, or hold it and let the camera track a fast moving subject across the frame (continuous).

I prefer some recomposing to having my thumb free for using the d-pad to move my focus point (I only use the 11-point mode w/wrapping so I can move the point across the frame with only a few clicks), or dealing with pesky focus mode adjustments if I go from a still life/portrait scenario to a moving subject.

Bottom line, I think it gives me more control over focus. Between this and manual exposure with spot metering, the camera doesn't really make any decisions without me.

Jun 13 18 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BBF is overrated. I find it useless. I think someone wrote a blog about it and now all the newbies think that it is the only way to go

Jun 13 18 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Voy wrote:
BBF is overrated. I find it useless. I think someone wrote a blog about it and now all the newbies think that it is the only way to go

Newbie's? Ha!

I have been using BBF since Nikon made it available, several D body generations ago.

Jun 13 18 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Depends on the subject matter.

For relatively still subjects, like a speaker at a podium in a dark room, I love it.  Once I acquire focus I  can recompose and the focus won't start searching again.

For shooting basketball, runners, things in motion.  I use the shutter button focus.

Jun 13 18 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I tried it for a full day once shooting a volleyball tournament.  Yeah, didn't like it.  Missed many action plays because you have to do 2 steps (thumb + finger) to acquire and fire.

But, I do a hybrid version of it from time to time.  If the subject isn't moving a lot, I'll acquire focus normally then switch to manual focus with my thumb.  From there, recompose as necessary and fire several frames without re-focusing.

In the end, using the focus points + recompose is much more efficient for me.

Jun 13 18 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

BBF is not well suited for moving subjects. However, it's great when shooting a static subject where a very precise focus point is critical and you will be recomposing before pushing the trigger. Holding the trigger half way down and recomposing is ok but if I'm shooting multiple shots I don't always have to refocus if I've locked on with BBF.  If shooting with a fast prime wide open where the focus point falls within a very narrow area I find it to be necessary. If you just shoot at apertures where most of the frame is in focus even if your camera moves the focus point a bit then it's no big deal to use the shutter release for focus.  I personally like to decide exactly what area will be in sharpest focus.

I've tried the Nikon auto focus with face recognition and such but it's just not as accurate. Maybe some other cameras are although the tests I've seen don't seem to bear that out. They are getting closer though.

But really it's personal preference. Shoot with whatever focus method works best for you.

Jun 13 18 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I am primarily a college sports photographer, ten years.  I couldn't function as a sports photographer without back button focusing.  I want my camera to focus when I tell it to, not every time I touch the shutter button.  Now I use back button focusing for everything.  Sports, portrait, event...  I don't want to shoot the other way anymore.

Jun 13 18 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Being that you wrote all of this...

portraiturebyBrent wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, one of my daughters got married. The photographers they hired (husband and wife team) have been shooting weddings for 13 years. More importantly (to me), they shoot Nikon. They each carried two D750s with different lenses. I spoke to them at the wedding and warned them I was an "Uncle Bob" and would have my gear at the reception for some candid shots. I let them know I would try not to get in their way and would not be using any flash.

At the reception, I had my D750 and D500, keeping one on the table, ready to shoot at a moment's notice. Throughout the night I spoke with them. One was shooting Sigma's 35mm f/1.4 Art, a lens I want to add to my arsenal. At the time, I had the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art on the D500 and neither was familiar with the D500 and had been thinking about getting the 50mm Art. I gave the camera to the wife and told her to go play with it and see what she thought. After a little while, she mentioned she couldn't get any shots in focus. I explained I use back button focus and the shutter is set to release only. Neither she or her husband knew what I was talking about. After a quick tutorial, she went back out and got a few more shots before an important part of the reception was about to happen, so she had to get back to "work", so went back to using her gear.

I was surprised they didn't use back button focus, or even heard of it. When I first learned the back button focus technique, it took a couple of days for muscle memory to take over and I've never looked back.

Just to ask this simple question:

What are your thoughts/experiences using back button focus?

I'm going to be the bad guy here and ask you, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU???? Who brings two camera bodies to their daughter's wedding when they already had two photographers shooting the event? I hear stories like this and I scratch my head in disbelief that anyone would have the gal to do this but to hear someone actually take glee in knowing they did it defies all logic. If I had a family member show up to my wedding with two camera bodies when I already hired a two-person photography team, I would ask them nicely to put them away immediately and if they didn't, those camera bodies would have wound up in the trash by the end of the night. Unreal.

Jun 14 18 08:30 am Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Back button focus is great because it gives you all the advantages of both single focus and continuous focus.  You set your camera to continuous focus all the time and set the focus to be triggered ONLY by the back button and disable focusing on the shutter release.  If you have a stationary subject, the focus will lock on using the back button and you can take the shot the way you normally would.  if you have a moving subject you can use the back button to track the focus on the moving subject.

it really is the best of both worlds.  Try it.  If you don't like it, go back to the usual way of focusing, but recognize that an awful lot of professional photographers have been using the back button focusing technique for a long time and for good reason.  If you ask a convention of Nat Geo wildlife photographers which focus method they use, I bet it would be 100% back button focus.  (I've asked a bunch of them, and that has always been the answer because it works great for both stationary and moving subjects and allows them to get shots they otherwise would have missed.)   

If you only shoot stationary subjects, you may not find it of much value.

Jun 14 18 11:51 am Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU???? Who brings two camera bodies to their daughter's wedding when they already had two photographers shooting the event?

I appreciate the subtlety in how you phrased your question. hmm

The answer is: because my daughter asked me to.

The reception started at 5pm and was scheduled to go until 11pm (that's a fuckin' long reception!). The hired guns were only going to be there until 9:30pm. They ended staying until almost 11pm and the music didn't stop until after midnight. She wanted pictures until the end, so I wasn't going to tell her No! on her wedding night.

Jun 14 18 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

I use BBF for everything, from still life to weddings. I do understand some people being put off by it. It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you are comfortable using it, you never want to go back to focusing with the shutter button.

Someone mentioned about using 3D tracking on Nikon bodies, that's exactly how I use it. 11 active focus points to move quickly across the screen, focus wrapping, single focus point with 3D tracking. The D750 also remembers your last focus point when you switch from vertical to horizontal and viceversa, that is very handy on fast paced events and motor sports.

That might not work for everyone but personally, I would not choose to got back to FBF.

Jun 17 18 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

A few years ago I was at a sports photography workshop and there was a long discussion on the subject and the NPS tech rep pointed out that is popularity started with Canon shooters and with Nikon systems was not recommended. Then he polled the instructors ( all Nikon shooters)  of the ten they were pretty evenly divided over BBF and using the AF as designed.

Of those using BBF ALL of them started using Canon and switched to Nikon well on into highly successful careers. The others all started with Nikon. Personally I only use BBF with Studio portraits and use Group AF and 3D for sports depending on the body. Back with the D50 I used to prefocus on spots on the track (motorsports), now with the D500 and 4S it is almost all Group AF for sports and most things.

In reading questions on forums I find that most beginners have lots of problems with BBF but believe the hype that it is Better and they often find the AF works best as designed. Nikon puts lots of variables that are adjustable to tailor it to what you are shooting and your style but that does present a learning curve.

Personally whatever works for you is great.

Jun 17 18 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

I shoot Canon.  I tried BBF and found it fairly useless for me.

When I went FF with the 5DM3, I started to use BBI - Back Button ISO; I now use it on the 5DM4.  With evening/night sports (soccer and marching band), I shoot manual and stick with my shutter and aperture settings.  ISO is how I adjust for the fading light.  When using BBI, the SET button and Main Dial allow me to change ISO on the fly.  When the camera is gripped, it's easy to use BBI in either orientation.

The alternatives to BBI is to either go through many steps to change ISO, or use Auto ISO.  The former means I'll lose shots in the fading light.  The latter means I'll probably lose even more shots as the metering on a football field at night is likely to be off.

At least for me, the half and full press shutter button is the best for me.  Camera AF settings allow for the conditions in which I'm shooting.  I get the shots I want.  (For completeness, I don't use continuous shooting.)

Jun 17 18 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

you pick where you want to focus and once focused, it doesn't change when you release the shutter. the camera won't decide to shift the focus point until you decide and press the rear af button again. for model work where the model is relatively stationary if prefer it. it is fast and easy - especially since being picky about where i am focused. it removes the focus function form the shutter button to the back af button.

not all photographers can get use to it nor understand the process. but have had many other photographers switch to it once they see it work. if you are used to "automatic" refocus each time you press the shutter or hold half-press and recompose, that's fine. coming from manual focus, for me to focus only when I need to, at the spot i want the focus and then release the shutter at the correct framing and time is much better.

100%
Half way down shutter will refocus every time, personally not into refocusing, refocusing and refocusing the shot you wanted and or needed is gone,,, meanwhile someone with BBF didn't miss a thing tracking the subject with one button hold,, you can shot as many shots as you like to have, done very easy,,, no shots missed in refocusing every shot.

Always BBF shooter, always will be BBF shooter but that is me,,, someone else maybe not,,, they like I have to deal with the choices made.

Do what you like to do then go from there as you need to...

That's my 5 cents...

Jun 17 18 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Back button for me always. Ability to focus, then recompose and shoot multi shots with the camera thinking the dog on the bridge above us is the new target...

Jun 22 18 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think that using BBF is useless if you are shooting with Nikon. Why? Because Nikon has AF-C 3D Tracking. Does Canon have something similar? Correct me if I am wrong.

Jun 22 18 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

If it works for you and you like it great, if it doesn't and you don't also great.  What I hate is the assumption that you must do it or you aren't a pro.

Jun 23 18 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

What about depth of field? Just asking  questions and trying to understand...

Those of you who use back button focus, are you typically shooting with smaller aperture, or at greater distances?

What about with large aperture and/or short distance from lens to a non-stationary (human) subject, wouldn't normal  AF (on each exposure) be preferable to BBF those situations?

Jun 23 18 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

roger alan wrote:
What about depth of field? Just asking  questions and trying to understand...

Those of you who use back button focus, are you typically shooting with smaller aperture, or at greater distances?

What about with large aperture and/or short distance from lens to a non-stationary (human) subject, wouldn't normal  AF (on each exposure) be preferable to BBF those situations?

Back button focusing has nothing to do with depth of field or aperture, it is simply a manner of controlling when your camera starts to focus.  I am a sports photographer.  During a game, I am always tracking action, tracking players.  I don't want my camera constantly trying to focus in this chaos.  Back button focusing allows me to keep a finger on the shutter but not start the focus process until I decide when to start.

A perfect example of the value of back button focusing.  Volleyball.  If I am in the back court shooting through the net, regular shutter controlled focusing will often focus on the net in the heat of action.  With back button focusing, I can lock pre-focus on the player on the other side of the net and just fire away on net action when it happens.  I don't have to worry about the camera focus jumping around in the net.

I love back button focusing.  Can't shoot without it.

Jun 23 18 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

@Keith Moody

In the situation you describe, you are not focusing until you are ready to shoot? You are just using BBF instead of the shutter release button, and capturing a single exposure then re-focusing for the next?

But in some of the posts above there were references to focusing with the back button, then capturing multiple exposures without re-focusing. Those multiple exposures with out refocusing are what I am wondering about. If the depth of field is very thin, and the subject moves a little..

EDIT: seeing that you have added to your post...that player on the other side of the net will be moving nearer or further from your lens...so your depth of field is great  enough (your distance + small-ish aperture) to allow for that movement and still have decent focus. But it seems to me that not every shooting situation will have a depth of field great enough to allow for movement of a subject and retain focus.

I am not trying to argue against BBF in situations where either method would work.

Jun 23 18 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

roger alan wrote:
@Keith Moody

In the situation you describe, you are not focusing until you are ready to shoot? You are just using BBF instead of the shutter release button, and capturing a single exposure then re-focusing for the next?

But in some of the posts above there were references to focusing with the back button, then capturing multiple exposures without re-focusing. Those multiple exposures with out refocusing are what I am wondering about. If the depth of field is very thin, and the subject moves a little..

EDIT: seeing that you have added to your post...that player on the other side of the net will be moving nearer or further from your lens...so your depth of field is great  enough (your distance + small-ish aperture) to allow for that movement and still have decent focus. But it seems to me that not every shooting situation will have a depth of field great enough to allow for movement of a subject and retain focus.

I am not trying to argue against BBF in situations where either method would work.

When I am shooting sports I am always in CONTINUOUS FOCUS MODE.  As long as I am holding the back button to focus, the camera will continue to track focus through multiple exposures just as it does in shutter activated focusing.  Sometimes I am zone focusing, as in shooting action just beyond the net. I am focused for a single distance.  However, most of time time I am tracking moving subjects.  The camera will readjust focus as long as I track the subject.

I also use back button focusing in portrait work.  I lock focus and recompose.  Yes, if the subject moves significantly, they will be out of focus.  But if that happens, I will just re-lock focus.  And, as you know, F8 will give you a bit more wiggle room than 2.8 or 1.8.

Jun 23 18 07:21 pm Link