Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Harvard Univ: Asians have lousy personalities

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Harvard University says  Asians have lousy personalities… undesirable as students. Harvard says this is a reason for what it admits is 'discrimination' in scholarships and admissions. Harvard is now being sued by 'victims' of race-based discrimination.

What's your take? Should colleges use objective criteria? Or give major weight to skin color and ethnicity?

I'll be frank. I don't like discrimination, even when euphemistically called 'affirmative action.' And I think we need major dialogue on the whole concept of 'affirmative action.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/us/h … cants.html

Jun 16 18 02:20 pm Link

Model

Pauline Yee

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's why I never made it into Harvard smile

Jun 16 18 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm old as dirt, have a lousy personality, and I'm an undesirable  .  .  .  PLUS, I ain't 2 danged smart neither  .  .  .  I'm guessin' Harvard isn't gonna want me either  .  .  .  now, where do I sign up ta be included in the lawsuit  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 16 18 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Now I know why I ended up in the brig a few times here in the past; damn lousy personality.

Jun 16 18 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
What's your take? Should colleges use objective criteria? Or give major weight to skin color and ethnicity?

The sooner we start treating people equally, the sooner people will be treated equally.  That seems to be a fine place to be.

Jun 16 18 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

The sooner we start treating people equally, the sooner people will be treated equally.  That seems to be a fine place to be.

the problem is    not everybody is equally stupid..

Jun 27 18 01:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

"Asians have lousy personalities"

That has not been my experience.

Jun 27 18 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

On a personal level I am struggling to think of any bad experiences with any Asians in the course of my life. in my experience generally they are quiet,friendly and very polite.  which to my thought has always been the general stereotype, so I am kinda of surprised by the finding in the article.

Jun 27 18 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Two thoughts:

1.  This surprises me. Many private colleges are actively courting international Asian students because they are typically smart and more importantly, full pay, which frees up funds to make their scholarship packages for students who are U.S. citizens more attractive.

2.  I tend to strongly disagree with affirmative action and other similar practices that discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, etc., regardless of what demographic they discriminate in favor of or against.  As I said in another post, we never seem to move beyond discrimination as a matter of policy, we just keep changing who it’s fashionable to discriminate against and for what reasons we try to justify such discrimination.  The way to stop discrimination is to stop discriminating.  Justifying more policies of discrimination, only creates more discrimination.

Jun 27 18 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

DP

Jun 27 18 02:41 pm Link