Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Koko, the gorilla who knew sign language, dies at 46.

She had a lot to say, and she taught us well,  Say "hi" to our friend, Mr. Rogers.

Jun 21 18 08:59 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

sad

Koko was amazing for years.

Jun 21 18 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I remember when Koko lost All Ball. She was devastated. We all feel this loss.

https://exploringyourmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/koko-with-a-cat-600x361.jpg

Jun 21 18 09:56 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Jun 21 18 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

RIP Koko

Jun 21 18 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not sure we'll ever see her like again.  The science of animal communication has shifted.  For Koko, we tried (and succeeded) to teach animals to talk to us.  Nowadays, the research is more devoted to understanding how animals naturally communicate to each other.

Jun 21 18 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I'm not sure we'll ever see her like again.  The science of animal communication has shifted.  For Koko, we tried (and succeeded) to teach animals to talk to us.  Nowadays, the research is more devoted to understanding how animals naturally communicate to each other.

Like almost everyone else, I was charmed by Koko and her story.

Who wouldnt be? A big, gentle giant, excitedly signing with her pal. Hugging her kitten... Reducing Robin Williams to a giggling puddle.

I dont know if my proximity to Koko got me a bit more local coverage than was done nationally, but she has been part of the Bay Area news for..... well, 40+ years.

So, I -am- sad to hear she is gone.

But- as you said, our thinking on the whole subject has changed.

In reading some of the more recent stories about Koko, Dr. Francine Patterson, the original researcher who taught Koko to sign said she did have some regrets... When she started 45 years ago, she was planning a 4 year study. She says she regrets that Koko didnt get more "socialization" with other gorillas, and Koko never had a mate and "kids" of her own.

Like you said, it is unlikely we will have another like Koko.

Jun 21 18 01:48 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I saw this on dpreview:

"Koko the Gorilla preferred Olympus"

https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS560x560~forums/61286447/ae3688d91f4f41ac82b7d911750c9137

One poster said, "It's official...if you can't get on with the Olympus menu you must have less intelligence than a baboon. (sic)"

I feel somewhat IQ slighted as I own a couple of them.  And yeah, the 300 pages of their E-M1-Mark II menu system is a bit much as are the 50 fine-focus tuning points too.

Time for my banana...

Jun 21 18 05:47 pm Link