Forums > Model Colloquy > Models and studio rentals advise

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

For you models out there that are liking the idea of a photographer renting a studio versus shooting at his place.

Studio rentals are expensive true but one thing more importantly is the date and time of the rental.

So, for you models out there PLEASE take into consideration that the studio is not available 24 hours a day any day that you want. There are other photographers and even models who rent the studio. Sometimes it is rented for an event, maybe even an event having nothing to do with modeling.

If a photographer contacts you for a shoot that you are interested in and agree to PLEASE respond as soon as possible when he/she gives you a date or dates to choose from including times. The longer you take to respond the more likely the studio will be rented and the photographer will have to look at another date and time.

Another note on this. If the photographer gives you a studio for the shoot and you agree PLEASE verify the distance before the shoot day so that you are not responding "I didn't realize it was so far. Sorry. "

Jul 15 18 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

Well said, don't forget too that in most cases stylist, hair, MUA are involved too.

Jul 15 18 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

PhotoACR wrote:
Well said, don't forget too that in most cases stylist, hair, MUA are involved too.

Thank you for adding

Jul 15 18 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sounds like somebody got burned by working with the wrong model

Jul 16 18 12:15 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:
"I didn't realize it was so far. Sorry. "

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

you get that too?

Jul 16 18 08:18 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Sounds like somebody got burned by working with the wrong model

I think that it happens a lot. That is why I am putting in my two cents giving out positive advice. You don't hear me outing a model do you. That is not what this is all about.

For me I really don't make a thing about it. I have so many things to do and I do this because I enjoy it still. I am not needing to build my portfolio. If a model cancels on me I go play pool, spend the time reorganizing my photography things.

It is the studio that takes the hit most. The studio counts on the money. Some studios hire part time people who are going to be there just for the shoot and they have to pay them even if someone cancels. And what about the MUA and others counting on the shoot to make money. I am retired. I have my income. These people depend on it. When a model cancels she is not just cancelling on the photographer. That is my point.

Jul 16 18 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Imagine if a model wrote in the Photographer forum scolding photographers about communications and expectations...

Jul 25 18 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:
Another note on this. If the photographer gives you a studio for the shoot and you agree PLEASE verify the distance before the shoot day so that you are not responding "I didn't realize it was so far. Sorry. "

for the record: i dont believe that for a minute. they just got tired of using the "i'm sick today" excuse.

Jul 25 18 07:46 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here is some news:  Models don't care what your problems are.  If they aren't going to show,  they aren't going to show.

I rent studio time to photographers and I do notice that some photographers never get no shows while others have it happen frequently.  Doing some screening seems to help.

Jul 25 18 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Philip Brown wrote:
for the record: i dont believe that for a minute. they just got tired of using the "i'm sick today" excuse.

You forgot the ever popular dead or dying grandmother.  I'm actually waiting to hear about someone who keeps the recently deceased grandmother in a deep in the garage for those times when they need just such an excuse.  "Oh yea, she died like last year but I didn't have any offers to consider then so I thought I'd hang on to her for a while just in case."

Jul 25 18 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

J_Nicholas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I say make the best of it! Years ago I had reserved time in a studio that wasn't cheap, planned on paying the model for her time. She was a no show. Same old excuse. Luck would have it that there was a bus stop nearby. We actually went to the bus stop, offered this pretty lady the same pay for modeling for the shoot and had a blast!

https://www.jnicholasphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/imported_from_media_libray/Haneh.jpg

Jul 25 18 09:17 pm Link