Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > color issue, red color shift when web ready

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

So on my main screen when I edit. I dont see a color shift to red. Sometimes not even on my other screen that I drag it to see if color is the same. But client said they see the one picture I get web ready. Shifted to Red? I dont know why its looking more red then the original? help?

Aug 21 18 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

What did you use to profile and calibrate your monitors?

What did the client use?

Aug 21 18 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Colorspace?

Aug 21 18 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
What did you use to profile and calibrate your monitors?

What did the client use?

I have PS6
Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch Widescreen LCD High Performance Monitor
Went threw all the Proof set ups.
The image looks the same large and small on my monitor. But on his the small one shifts red.
Both shift red on my other monitor. But at least they look the same.
But the weird thing is if the color is one way large. Why just making smaller. Then say posting it to FB it looks Red? On same monitor?

Aug 21 18 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Colorspace?

I tried RGB and RGBs same thing happened in both?

Aug 21 18 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Yani, neither the version of Photoshop nor the make and model of your monitor have anything whatever to do with the profiling and calibration of your monitors. Neither says anything about your client's equipment. And neither RGB nor RGBs are colorspaces. (RGB is the descriptor of a way of making colored light; sRGB IS a colorspace, but RGBs is gobbledygook.)

The simple truth is that until and unless an image is being displayed on a properly profiled and calibrated monitor, nothing else will be matter. And without setting some colorspace, no software is going to know exactly how to display anything, thus results will be random and unmanageable.

I went to the trouble of capturing several of the images from your profile, and it appears that the best advice I can give you is to do a little studying up on the topic of color management. The subject is way to complex for me to attempt to explain it here, but there are lots of articles online about how it all works. What I saw in your profile are images tagged with sRGB and images that have no colorspace tags. This will result in programs like browsers assuming the image is in sRGB, while other programs, Photoshop for instance, displaying them as "unmanaged" which will result if pronounced color shifts. So my guess is that the image that is giving you trouble is an untagged file. What's worse is that I have no way of guessing what the images look like on your monitor.

Aug 22 18 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Yani, neither the version of Photoshop nor the make and model of your monitor have anything whatever to do with the profiling and calibration of your monitors. Neither says anything about your client's equipment. And neither RGB nor RGBs are colorspaces. (RGB is the descriptor of a way of making colored light; sRGB IS a colorspace, but RGBs is gobbledygook.)

The simple truth is that until and unless an image is being displayed on a properly profiled and calibrated monitor, nothing else will be matter. And without setting some colorspace, no software is going to know exactly how to display anything, thus results will be random and unmanageable.

I went to the trouble of capturing several of the images from your profile, and it appears that the best advice I can give you is to do a little studying up on the topic of color management. The subject is way to complex for me to attempt to explain it here, but there are lots of articles online about how it all works. What I saw in your profile are images tagged with sRGB and images that have no colorspace tags. This will result in programs like browsers assuming the image is in sRGB, while other programs, Photoshop for instance, displaying them as "unmanaged" which will result if pronounced color shifts. So my guess is that the image that is giving you trouble is an untagged file. What's worse is that I have no way of guessing what the images look like on your monitor.

Ok Ill look colorspace up! Thanks for that. On my monitor. Skin tones look great. Im happy with the image. When I shrink it down so I can put on a website or internet. It shifts colors to redish. On my same monitor. side by side. Same image as the large. Only difference its been shrunk in file size has shifted color. It should be the same color I would assume as all I did was shrink and save.
I dont know what Calibrating the image would do. Since I love the large color one. would calibrating stop the color shifting as Im making in smaller in saving it small? I can put both images next to each other and they are different?
P.S. I looked into my Destinations Space: Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is what have it set at?

Aug 22 18 04:52 pm Link

Retoucher

trantienvuong

Hồ Chí Minh City, Pomorskie, Vietnam

Aug 24 18 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Yani S wrote:
I dont know what Calibrating the image would d

no,no.. you need to calibrate your *MONITOR*(s) first.

Aug 27 18 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

trantienvuong wrote:
I think it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj0Lb5urYA

Thanks that really helped!
I can see it has to do with the color Settings.
I still trying to dial it in. But my best guess is Im working on full rez. Image in Adobe RGB(1998)
Yet when its saved for web its in saved in color space sRGB IEC61966-2.1 I that work space is more Web friendly colors. Less colors to work with. Which is going to be bothersome. Because that means I have to color correct 2 images of the same image every time. One for Print and One for Web.

Aug 27 18 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Philip Brown wrote:

no,no.. you need to calibrate your *MONITOR*(s) first.

Its on the same monitor. Images are side by side.
I have to convert Documents colors to the working space. Which seems to work. The only time the images are the same.
Is this the same workspace as a Calibrated Monitor?

Aug 27 18 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Yani S wrote:
Its on the same monitor. Images are side by side.

here's the thing. You have TWO problems. One you know about, and one you dont.

1. your image seems to change color when you upload it to facebook.
2. you dont know whether the image you are working with, BEFORE you upload it anywhere, is accurate in color.

You dont know whether it is accurate, because you dont know how accurate your monitor is displaying the colors your computer is outputting.
Because you have never had your monitor calibrated.
Dell monitors are usually "pretty good" out of the factory. But they're not "commercial photography work" good.
The good news is, its probably not waaay off. But its pretty much defintely going to be off by some amount.

You need to buy something like this:
https://www.datacolor.com/photography-d … r5-family/
to ensure that your monitor is properly reproducing the colors in the image, before you even start working on it.
(edit: it even mentions that in the video you watched. Although he references the "colormunki" calibrator, rather than the spyder I linked)

Aug 27 18 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yani S wrote:
So on my main screen when I edit. I dont see a color shift to red. Sometimes not even on my other screen that I drag it to see if color is the same. But client said they see the one picture I get web ready. Shifted to Red? I dont know why its looking more red then the original? help?

Ok, here's my recommendation......  First even if you've done it in the past, calibrate your system, just to cover your end of things and to make extra sure your end is good.  Secondly, save in sRGB 2.1 which is the most common profile (from what I've found in my experience ) for both display and printing.  In Photoshop, just do a simple Edit/Convert to profile/ and select the sRGB 2.1 profile.  I hope this works for you.

Aug 29 18 07:51 am Link