Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Oh, you mean like how the OP is?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19829178

Todd Meredith wrote:
Ed,

Do you ever have anything positive to add to the discussion.  I am very sincere when I say I feel sorry for you if you can't find one day that dosn't require negativity.

'Yo, T, actually, I post in more positives than negatives.  You should bother reading my other posts instead of burying your head in the sand pretending they don't exist.  The only negatives I post out are when I'm calling out someone's bullshit or for being two-faced or being whiny, which are also negatives.  So, as you know, 2 negatives equals a positive.

I know I know, you've self-appointed yourself as the forum monitor with your soapboxing and rhetoric about these "keyboard bravado"'s in the last 8 months, give or take.  lol, wtf.  You might want to step the fuck down.

Funny how you complain about my post when all I did was post a link to one OP's post.  But, yet, you say nothing about his post.  Speaks volumes how your are selective with your kumbaya preachings.

Aug 26 18 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Philip Brown wrote:

For some people, it is actually much much more DIFFICULT to be supportive and positive. Goes against their inner nature.
Would be nice if those people would just stay the heck off the forums. Or better yet, get banned off.

Personally ....

I have posted much of my work for critique over my years on MM

And have welcomed harsh critiques from skilled photographers ( and other members here )

Such critiques have helped me develop far more as a photographer than what you are advocating for

Aug 27 18 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Yo Ed,

I guess that puts us in the hood for this discussion or...whatever.

There you go again - looking for the negatives, even with that twisted logic.  The more negativity in the forums, the less people participate.  It's amazing how you see it ok to go after the person and not what's being discussed but when someone says something back that ogpffends your sensitivities, you get all upset. 

It's like you get some great joy from attacking certain people - regardless of what they say.  Lonely could be handing out $100 bills and you'd complain that you have to go to a bank to cash it in for smaller bills.

I'm on no soapbox but something I said must have struck a nerve with you.  I've heard that only happens when there's truth involved.  For the record, It would take a lot bigger and better person than you, Ed, to knock me off one. 

I really do feel sorry for you and hope you somehow find a way out of whatever is eating at you.

Aug 27 18 03:31 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Ok I found out the snake guy has a few different snakes he can bring over, Now the only thing is will my model get bothered by the snake guy being in the room...I know a model that raises pythons for fun, kinda a friend actually maybe I can enlist her help... aside from scheduling  what you guys think about building a raised  platform putting a cyc paper back ground and doing the shoot on that instead of on the floor? This is a fun shoot, not expecting anything beyond that... even considering shooting on CK green   you guys have suggestions?  something that I can try?

Aug 27 18 09:10 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

well update from my last post, my snake lady friend wants to model for  the big snake shoot too nice...I've shot her before, no creepy photographer issues here... in fact we sneaked into an sleazy hollywood offfice building restroom and did some crazy shoots... my other model is a novela actress   .we'll see how it goes...will post something up when it gets done.now i gotta figure out how to get a grand piano onto a beach at sunset...no...a model came up with this idea... so I got a bunch of snakes   maybe I should do a meetup shoot in the studio

Aug 27 18 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Todd Meredith wrote:
Yo Ed,

I guess that puts us in the hood for this discussion or...whatever.

There you go again - looking for the negatives, even with that twisted logic.  The more negativity in the forums, the less people participate.  It's amazing how you see it ok to go after the person and not what's being discussed but when someone says something back that ogpffends your sensitivities, you get all upset. 

It's like you get some great joy from attacking certain people - regardless of what they say.  Lonely could be handing out $100 bills and you'd complain that you have to go to a bank to cash it in for smaller bills.

I'm on no soapbox but something I said must have struck a nerve with you.  I've heard that only happens when there's truth involved.  For the record, It would take a lot bigger and better person than you, Ed, to knock me off one. 

I really do feel sorry for you and hope you somehow find a way out of whatever is eating at you.

Oh geeez, you must have a box full of victim cards.  You should learn to relax, son.  You'll live longer.

Aug 27 18 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Oh geeez, you must have a box full of victim cards.  You should learn to relax, son.  You'll live longer.

No, I'm not from San Jancinto.  What gave you that idea?

All the best to you, Eddie.  Isn't there a Black Z waiting for you?  I believe they call that compensation.

Aug 27 18 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Todd Meredith wrote:
No, I'm not from San Jancinto.  What gave you that idea?

All the best to you, Eddie.  Isn't there a Black Z waiting for you?  I believe they call that compensation.

Oh, the hypocrisy.  Mr kumbaya throwing personal attacks.  Temper temper.  I believe they call that inept. 

Well, this didn't taking long:

Todd Meredith wrote:
For the record, It would take a lot bigger and better person than you, Ed, to knock me off one.

Aug 27 18 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Ed,

Have you ever thought about speaking with someone about your angst?

Again, wishing you all the best!

Aug 28 18 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Women are supposed to hate snakes, be afraid etc.
Not true. Men just don't act as squeamish.

Some of the biggest fans of snakes have been women. I get woman asking to work with my snakes.

Back to main point.
Even small snakes can hurt if they bite. The bigger the snake the more pain.
All constrictors constrict.
Different species have differing traits, but that particular snake may not have read the manual. A handler is all important, but it should be somebody who knows that particular snake.

And snakes do NOT take direction very well. Look left or right, does not mean much to them. (OK, there are exceptions).

The unpredictability adds frustration and a hell of a lot of fun to the shoot. Like working with kids, you work at their pace.

Have fun.

Aug 28 18 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Randy Poe wrote:

There are photos of naked woman with snakes as far back as the early 1900's so It wasn't completely original when Avedon did it. Should Avedon have not done it?
What the heck have any of you ragging on Lonely done that's so gash dang original?

I was going to ask. Glad you beat me to it.

Aug 28 18 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Herman Surkis wrote:

I was going to ask. Glad you beat me to it.

The ability to be overly critical of another's work here on MM comes with the White Knight membership level.  They also send you a secret decoder ring that tells you to drink more Ovaltine.

Aug 29 18 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

Dan,

I don't think he was looking for praise in prep of the the shoot as much as possibly some good ideas from like minded photographers.  Every year I meet with some of the other local wedding photographers in my area over a casual lunch.  We discuss some of the latest trends and it's also a way to promote not screwing each other over through bad mouthing, undercutting, etc.  in the last few years it's helped a few of group gain work based on referrals from others in the group based on the types of weddings we each prefer to shoot.

What amazes me about your comments about originality is that all of us at one time or another get inspiration from something we've seen done by someone else or in another medium.  What's wrong with that?  There's a saying that imitation is the great form of flattery.  I wonder how that came about if everyone is only supposed to shoot/create based on an original idea all the time.  If people didn't utilize ideas others brought out at some time or another, most of the portfolios on this side would be minus the infamous squatting crotch shot in their nudes section.  And where would we be then?

As I posted in another thread, this is the behavior that is literally killing this site.  It really would be much easier to try to be supportive and provide positive input than negative and it sure would benefit the ghost town known as the forums, possibly even reinvigorate to a degree.  The forums of MM have been the laughing stock for years on other sites, some not even remotely related to photography or modeling.

Just some food for thought.

+1000

Oct 05 18 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Gee, this is just fraught with liability.  Make sure it's a real wrangler and not just someone who owns a snake.  Make sure they fed the snake the day before. And keep the shoot cold, as they warm up they get more active. Have several musclebound guys there and also a butcher knife or other large knife just in case. 

It's a lot of liability for a shot that has been done several times and yours will never be as famous or maybe not as good.

Oct 05 18 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

Dan,

I don't think he was looking for praise in prep of the the shoot as much as possibly some good ideas from like minded photographers.  Every year I meet with some of the other local wedding photographers in my area over a casual lunch.  We discuss some of the latest trends and it's also a way to promote not screwing each other over through bad mouthing, undercutting, etc.  in the last few years it's helped a few of group gain work based on referrals from others in the group based on the types of weddings we each prefer to shoot.

What amazes me about your comments about originality is that all of us at one time or another get inspiration from something we've seen done by someone else or in another medium.  What's wrong with that?  There's a saying that imitation is the great form of flattery.  I wonder how that came about if everyone is only supposed to shoot/create based on an original idea all the time.  If people didn't utilize ideas others brought out at some time or another, most of the portfolios on this side would be minus the infamous squatting crotch shot in their nudes section.  And where would we be then?

As I posted in another thread, this is the behavior that is literally killing this site.  It really would be much easier to try to be supportive and provide positive input than negative and it sure would benefit the ghost town known as the forums, possibly even reinvigorate to a degree.  The forums of MM have been the laughing stock for years on other sites, some not even remotely related to photography or modeling.

Just some food for thought.

Amen

Thought I was in middle earth for a minute with all of the damn trolls.

Oct 06 18 06:14 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Ionalynn wrote:

Pythons AND Boas eat mammals.

The larger the snake, the larger the animal they will eat.

Few snakes grow large enough to eat grown humans, but they DO bite.

I thought that I read where a Python recently ate a human.

Oct 06 18 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
Ed,

Have you ever thought about speaking with someone about your angst?

Again, wishing you all the best!

I'm really late to the party but this is classic.

Oct 07 18 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I'm really late to the party but this is classic.

SHHHHHH!  Keep it quiet or someone will complain and I'll get brigged again!

Oct 07 18 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sceloporus

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm not going to wade into the aesthetics or originality of naked women and snakes but do want to give some corrections on snakes. Avedon's shot used a Burmese python (Python molurus or bivvitatus depending upon which taxonomists you follow).

Pythons and boas are closely related and it's not possible to make generalizations about the two groups as each group has species which vary greatly in size and behavior. All snakes are strict carnivores. Pythons and boas eat warm-blooded prey, mammals and birds, but some species vary in preference. All of them have teeth, lots of teeth.

Individual snakes vary in temperament but I've seen species differences. Burmese, in my experience, tame readily and are easy to handle. Reticulated pythons, on the other hand, bite readily and don't tame easily. You need to know the temperament of the snake you plan to use.

Any constrictor over 7-8 feet is potentially dangerous. Any over 10 can be lethal. If I was doing a photo shoot with a large snake I would want another person experienced in handling a large constrictors present. If you're a photographer who lacks considerable experience in snake handling you need  at least two other people. If the snake bites your model you need one person to work on getting the snake to disengage (not easy for the snake due to curved teeth) while the other keeps the snake from constricting the model. Pro Tip: find the tail and unwrap from tail forward.

I no longer keep any snakes but did so for many years. In Thailand I had the privilege of working with a 27 foot reticulated python and many Burmese ranging up to 20 feet.  If you're are looking for originality, try crocodiles! But don't expect to get liability insurance.

Nov 05 18 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Umm

My guess is that the OP will not be returning to this discussion

as He has probably moved on to his grand piano on the beach idea

Nov 05 18 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

63fotos wrote:

I thought that I read where a Python recently ate a human.

Pythons are very friendly animals as long as you are nice to them. ;-)
They are eating a rabbit or similar once a while and afterwards they do not eat for many days at all. So feed the Python in advance and it won't eat your model.

(It then will be much to lazy to do so.)

Nov 06 18 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Sceloporus wrote:
I'm not going to wade into the aesthetics or originality of naked women and snakes but do want to give some corrections on snakes. Avedon's shot used a Burmese python (Python molurus or bivvitatus depending upon which taxonomists you follow).

Pythons and boas are closely related and it's not possible to make generalizations about the two groups as each group has species which vary greatly in size and behavior. All snakes are strict carnivores. Pythons and boas eat warm-blooded prey, mammals and birds, but some species vary in preference. All of them have teeth, lots of teeth.

Individual snakes vary in temperament but I've seen species differences. Burmese, in my experience, tame readily and are easy to handle. Reticulated pythons, on the other hand, bite readily and don't tame easily. You need to know the temperament of the snake you plan to use.

Any constrictor over 7-8 feet is potentially dangerous. Any over 10 can be lethal. If I was doing a photo shoot with a large snake I would want another person experienced in handling a large constrictors present. If you're a photographer who lacks considerable experience in snake handling you need  at least two other people. If the snake bites your model you need one person to work on getting the snake to disengage (not easy for the snake due to curved teeth) while the other keeps the snake from constricting the model. Pro Tip: find the tail and unwrap from tail forward.

I no longer keep any snakes but did so for many years. In Thailand I had the privilege of working with a 27 foot reticulated python and many Burmese ranging up to 20 feet.  If you're are looking for originality, try crocodiles! But don't expect to get liability insurance.

Totally

I have several smaller snakes. Temperament varies between types, and even more so with individuals.

I helped a friend handle a retic. nastiest critter ever. And I have owned and been tagged by rattler. Western Diamondback, born with a bad attitude.

I still occasionally get tagged my own snakes, yes my fault...misreading the signs. So I have learned to stay away from venomous, and really large. I can testify that even a small snake hurts. And because of the curved teeth if they tag and grab, you are in for some real pain trying to remove them without damage to both of you. Those curved teeth are a pain to deal with. They are designed to NOT let go, so making them do so is tricky. There are many methods, but most have a risk of harming the snake. Pushing forward while forcing the mouth open is not fun. Cannot even image it with a truly large snake.

Absolutely to the trained handler, and absolutely to the owner. You need somebody who knows THAT snake, not just snakes. I guarantee that an individual snake will surprise a competent handler if it is not their snake. However the competent handler will be prepared for anything.

Nov 07 18 02:31 am Link