Forums > General Industry > Replying to messages on MM (or rather, lack of)

Photographer

Squodge Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

I've direct messaged several models (whom I deem suitable) with some ideas that I want to shoot. I've not asked for TFP, and appreciate that most models would prefer to be paid for something that's for the photographer's portfolio - so the issue isn't one about payment.

My ideas are fantasy photos, you know, in forests or in a Lord of the Rings kind of setting, etc. I've stated this to the models with example images.

After a week, I've had a reply from just one model who said she liked my idea but that she doesn't do nude work - she did apologise for having on her profile that she did nude work, but has since amended it. The other models all appear to do nude work. The other models have also read the message from me.

So is it normal for people to wait a week or more to decide on jobs, or are they simply not interested? I appreciate people can be busy, but it can't seriously take more than a minute to write a simple reply?

Aug 29 18 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yes its normal
One tip:
Check the last log in date of people you contact
Lots of dead profiles here

Aug 29 18 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Squodge Photography

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Yes its normal
One tip:

These models are active - I made sure of that before contacting.
And they've all read my message (MM tells you when a message is unread).

Aug 29 18 12:41 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

Post hidden on Aug 29, 2018 02:43 pm
Reason: other

Aug 29 18 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Squodge Photography

Post hidden on Aug 30, 2018 09:26 am
Reason: other

Aug 29 18 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

Squodge Photography wrote:

These models are active - I made sure of that before contacting.
And they've all read my message (MM tells you when a message is unread).

I'm finding that the "message read" isn't always accurate for some reason.   I suspect it has to do with integration failures with other applications.

I've gone in and read messages that indicate I've read the message previously.   When I had not.  And I'm finding that when I receive messages, I don't get an indicator.

So don't rely on the indicators in assessing whether the message has actually been read.

Aug 29 18 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

There are several issues at work:

MM messages might say "message read" but not be read, MM is known for glitches and such.

Just because a model accepts nude work, does not mean they will accept all nude jobs offered, I'll pose nude for some artists, not for others. This goes for all jobs.

Outdoor work is an even harder genre to fill, bugs, trespassing issues, cops, animals, no heaters or ac, long drives to locations.....
All of these factor into if a job is a good fit or not, nude outdoor work is a pretty tough genre to work in.

You might think your message is a good one & provides all the necessary info, but, models might think it is incomplete, or not like how the project is presented.

Payment, you might think your paying a fair rate for your project, while models don't agree.

If a photographers bio does not match their casting message, many times it means that the model will run into a bait & switch situation they would rather avoid.

Many models have learned through experience that NOT replying to a message is better than replying with any sort of negative. Many times when a model replies with a negative/no to a job they are harassed, & insulted by the photographers so they just stopped doing so.

It might be a good idea to make sure you have a please answer by MM/DD/YY in your message, that way once that date passes, you don't have to worry about it.

If you are willing to send me your casting/message text, I'll take a look & show you what some issues might be.

Aug 29 18 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah, I think the MM "e-mail" system is about 35 years out of date, and because of that, I rarely check my messages.  I use it, but I also look for other means of communication (e.g. Instagram, or a web site, or whatever).

Aug 29 18 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ionalynn has given you a lot of good answers.

I find that it's so easy to forget about emails/PMs once they scroll down. I have had successful shoots with models that dropped out of communication six months prior.

My advice is: don't pester them. After a month or more, you might send a message telling what you are currently doing with your photography. Recently I received a cheerful message from a model with whom I had worked six years ago. We met and had a pleasant shoot.

Aug 29 18 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Yeah, I think the MM "e-mail" system is about 35 years out of date, and because of that, I rarely check my messages.  I use it, but I also look for other means of communication (e.g. Instagram, or a web site, or whatever).

Search only seems to work on the title of the message & not even the message text.
MM system is a mess.

Aug 29 18 08:27 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Aug 29 18 08:46 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Basically everything Iona said.

It might be how you're wording it
It might be that you're not offering enough payment
It might be a lot of things... (those two are the most likely problems though)

Aug 29 18 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Yes its normal
One tip:

more efficient version:
when you do a search, just check the "active in last 30 days" or whatever, checkbox.

Aug 29 18 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Art by LJ

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've found that some models won't reply simply because they don't want to work with me.

I figure this means I need to keep learning and improving and maybe, some day, I'll be good enough to work with models of that caliber.

Traveling models on the other hand have always responded.

I think the difference is that some local models aren't doing this for a living, but rather for their personal enjoyment, and they only take on projects with photographers whose work they admire. Others are already very successful as models, and don't need the money from the 'small guys'. They are here only for commercial work with industry professionals.

So my advice: reach out to some traveling models. They do this for a living and need the income to survive, and are usually happy to work with those who are still learning and growing and/or just doing this as a hobby. Just be prepared to pay a minimum of $100 an hour.

Aug 29 18 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Many "inactive" models are still modeling but nit logging in on MM as they get the email forwarded.
I am always surprised how models that are active do not reply just to clarify things. For example f TFP is stated or implied nothing wrong with sending a thanks but here are my rates . Pretty much everything in life is negotiable.

Aug 29 18 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

No response means she is not interested.

Aug 29 18 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Many "inactive" models are still modeling but nit logging in on MM as they get the email forwarded.
I am always surprised how models that are active do not reply just to clarify things. For example f TFP is stated or implied nothing wrong with sending a thanks but here are my rates . Pretty much everything in life is negotiable.

I couldn't agree more, Bob.  Some time ago I made that exact point and was told no one is entitled to a reply.  So why come to a networking site if you don't want to network?  I believe it goes both way, photographers ignoring models and models ignoring photographers.  To work all parties need to be willing to act professionally, including a nicely worded, "Thanks but no thanks" reply.

About two years ago, a very nice model wrote me back that she wanted to concentrate on shoots that were more provocative with some real "twists."  I had suggested a simple lifestyle type shoot and wasn't really interested in the projects she wanted to try.  I was, however, able to link her with a photographer who was into the type of images she wanted to do and they had a great time shooting together.  We still speak on the phone and exchange emails periodically to discuss shoots and exchange ideas on concepts.  She left MM not long after our first interaction because of some of the "offers" she was receiving from fauxtographers. 

Courtesy is free but most people are still bankrupt these days.  Not just here, either.  Sad but true.

Aug 30 18 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

Todd Meredith wrote:
She left MM not long after our first interaction because of some of the "offers" she was receiving from fauxtographers. 
Courtesy is free but most people are still bankrupt these days.  Not just here, either.  Sad but true.

These "offers" are the ones that I don't bother replying to, or get reported to MODS, though it used to be a royal pain in the ass to report messages to MODS. Some people leave MM due to unprofessional behavior, others just ignore those messages.

As for what messages deserve a reply, that is up to each person.

To put it in perspective, when I signed up for OMP years ago, I received over 200 messages in less than 24 hours.
I chose the top 3-5 jobs I was offered and ignored the rest.
By the time I had finished with those jobs, I had more booked, I was booking on average 100-150 modeling jobs a year.

Aug 30 18 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
No response means she is not interested.

And ditto for photographers.

About this time each year I get a rash of shooting requests.  Almost one hundred in the last two months.  Most by models who have my personal e-mail.  Apparently the models tend to follow the same travel schedule, with some traveling together.

I have been inactive, but still receive the requests.  I reply if I catch the request, unless the request is a little creepy.  (Yes, photographers do get veiled solicitations.)   But the most likely reason I didn't reply is that I hadn't checked back and didn't see it.    Or I checked it, meant to respond, but being an absent minded scientist, I forgot.

When my offer to pay for a shoot goes unanswered, I send a followup.  If that is ignored then I send a note to the model that since they haven't replied, I will block them to remind me not to offer again (so as not to seemingly harass them), and I give them my e-mail.   After a week if no response, I place the block.   Not in anger, just to avoid absent minded repeats.

(In aside, back six or seven years ago I made the recommendation to the site several times to give us an outgoing block button so that we couldn't em a person we've decided isn't interested, but leave it open for them to em if they chose.  Why?   Because models move around, change their names, and change their look.  And because some of us are truly absent minded.)

Solicitations never require a response.    It is business, not personal.   But responses are always nice and tend to save everyone time.

Aug 30 18 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Years ago I attended a Texas glamour nude workshop where models were being paid.   The day of the shoot three of the six models who were booked didn't come.   They didn't reply to calls or emails and this was a paid shoot they accepted.   I've had models reach out to me for free and even some of the paid work I offer and later stop replying only to months later reappear claiming they were now ready to work.   Sites like these are full of unreliable, unprofessional people on both sides.   I come from a world where when someone offers you paid work or even good free shoots you respond even if to say no thanks.   You don't have to for sure but as a member has noted he bocks those who ignore him.   Human nature is often such that when we are not responded too or worse have someone flake on us to hold a grudge.

While a model here claims to have had hundreds of job offers a year my guess is the average model does not.   So it makes little sense to not reply to any and all serious offers.   if the offer is too low explain that you charge more.   if the shoot idea vague or more explicit then you as a model are going to do then say so.   Common courtesy in business are in general good to use.   Sure some folks may be angry when you refuse them.   If they become abusive report and block them.

Aug 30 18 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
While a model here claims to have had hundreds of job offers a year my guess is the average model does not.   So it makes little sense to not reply to any and all serious offers.   if the offer is too low explain that you charge more.   if the shoot idea vague or more explicit then you as a model are going to do then say so.   Common courtesy in business are in general good to use.   Sure some folks may be angry when you refuse them.   If they become abusive report and block them.

Excellent logic, as usual, Tony.

I can see a model not responding to an asshat who sends a "Hey Baby" kind of creepy message but, as you noted, those are the people who need to be reported and taken off the membership rolls.  Simply not replying is rude, in my opinion.  Some may disagree and that's their prerogative but, in the business world, it's just common courtesy and may be the difference between work in the future being offered or not. 

I also agree with a reply that opens negotiations.  Some people respond well to a well worded reply with rates and availability, some don't, which takes us back to point #1.

As for those getting more offers than they can possibly reply to, well all the best to you in all you do.  Hoping that momentum keeps up for a long time.  Amazingly, that kind of momentum doesn't happen to top tier models, but maybe someone here has discovered the true secret to success.  I know if I did, I'd market the heck out of it and make millions.

Aug 30 18 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Sebastian_Rut

Chicago, Illinois, US

I used to feel bad for messaging more models than I need, but nowadays it seems to be no other option.  In my experience out of 30 maybe five will answer and one will finally shoot. Kind of frustrating, but this is how it goes. People are flakes.

Sep 12 18 01:48 pm Link