Forums > General Industry > Hacker of nude Jen Lawrence photos sentenced

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lawrence's Nude Photo Hacker Sentenced to Prison.

I agree that this fellows actions were a violation of privacy, and I think his sentence is appropriate.

Of more interest -- despite claims to the contrary, iCloud accounts are not secure (or secure enough).

Finally, two of my many mottoes:  Never show a camera anything you don't want photographed and Any photograph nowadays can wind up on the Internet at some point.

Aug 29 18 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I agree that this fellows actions were a violation of privacy, and I think his sentence is appropriate.

Of more interest -- despite claims to the contrary, iCloud accounts are not secure (or secure enough).

Finally, two of my many mottoes:  Never show a camera anything you don't want photographed and Any photograph nowadays can wind up on the Internet at some point.

Now I wonder when they are going to sentence big corps for hacking into our personal data? Such as big boys like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Adobe, just to name a few.

I am all for death sentence.

Aug 29 18 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I agree his actions violated people's right of privacy. 

There are cases of celebrities who have killed people due to drunk driving, etc. and gotten off lighter, so I'm not sure if I agree the sentencing is appropriate.

Aug 30 18 10:25 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Chuckarelei wrote:
Now I wonder when they are going to sentence big corps for hacking into our personal data? Such as big boys like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Adobe, just to name a few.

Paranoid much ?

Aug 30 18 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I agree his actions violated people's right of privacy. 

There are cases of celebrities who have killed people due to drunk driving, etc. and gotten off lighter, so I'm not sure if I agree the sentencing is appropriate.

I'd be careful - that's a hell of a slippery slope to go down.

More likely, the sentence (which probably won't be served in full anyway)was meant to send a message.

Aug 30 18 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
Paranoid much ?

Apparently you don't have firewall monitoring in your computing.

Aug 30 18 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not sure I follow this reasoning.  What sentence would be appropriate?

Aug 30 18 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
despite claims to the contrary, iCloud accounts are not secure (or secure enough).

The way I understand the case, the accounts were not hacked. It was the users were hacked by making them essentially give up their account information via phishing. No matter how tight a company makes their their security, no matter how much encryption you have on the files, if the user gives up their account information, the account will be compromised.

You can have a steel door that's bullet proof, bazooka proof, atomic blast proof, and zombie proof. If you give up the key, they're going to get in.

Aug 30 18 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

My question is would the sentence be the same if the person whose images were supposedly hacked not been a celebrity?  Had it been an every day person, would the person committing the act have gone to prison, would they have gotten off with a lighter sentence or would the court have heard the case at all?  Money drives the judicial system.  The more one has to push their agenda, the more serious the act against them is perceived to be.

Aug 31 18 07:34 am Link

Photographer

DaveZ Studio

Saint George, Utah, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
My question is would the sentence be the same if the person whose images were supposedly hacked not been a celebrity?  Had it been an every day person, would the person committing the act have gone to prison, would they have gotten off with a lighter sentence or would the court have heard the case at all?  Money drives the judicial system.  The more one has to push their agenda, the more serious the act against them is perceived to be.

That's my concern as well.  Not so much the sentence, but the disparity in sentencing.

Aug 31 18 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

If an way you are correct. However, you're asking the wrong question. J.Law, et. al., had the resources to follow through with the suit. Their case weren't given special treatment because they were celebrities, but because they had the resources to follow through.

Too many times, the average Joe doesn't have the time, money, resources to follow through. All too often, they would need to weigh the cost of missing a day of work against their need to show up in court to be a witness. How many of us can afford to hire a lawyer just to stay on top of the District Attorney assigned to our case, when the D.A., has a caseload so heavy he would just rather plead out a deal.

Yes. J.Law's place in the society played a role, but only because her place afforded her the luxury of making sure her case was not just swept under a pile of other cases. The hacker wasn't given a higher sentence because of J.Law's status. But he wasn't given a lower sentence, because of J.Law's status.

Aug 31 18 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Too many times we've seen celebrities receive treatment by the courts that the common man would never receive.  Take Martha Stewart, for instance.  Had that been you or I, I truly believe we'd still be in the can.  At the LA County lock up, celebrities are kept in a separate wing, given a brand new jumpsuit and have privileges the average prisoner doesn't.  You and I get thrown in there, we'd get a recycled jumpsuit someone else had worn and thrown through the laundry and no 235 channels. 

My point is the disparity in how that sect of society - those with money and fame - are treated in comparison to the rest of us.

Aug 31 18 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
Too many times we've seen celebrities receive treatment by the courts that the common man would never receive.  Take Martha Stewart, for instance.  Had that been you or I, I truly believe we'd still be in the can.  At the LA County lock up, celebrities are kept in a separate wing, given a brand new jumpsuit and have privileges the average prisoner doesn't.  You and I get thrown in there, we'd get a recycled jumpsuit someone else had worn and thrown through the laundry and no 235 channels. 

My point is the disparity in how that sect of society - those with money and fame - are treated in comparison to the rest of us.

I totally get your point.  I’ve read of many celebrities who are drunk driving and kill someone, but never spend a day in prison.  Martha Stewart is a similar example.  People who invade a celebritie’s privacy getting 6 months to 10 years according to the article, doesn’t seem proportional.   I have a hard time believing if someone invaded my privacy and posted naked pictures of me online, they’d serve 6 months to 10 years.

Aug 31 18 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

I totally get your point.  I’ve read of many celebrities who are drunk driving and kill someone, but never spend a day in prison.  Martha Stewart is a similar example.  People who invade a celebritie’s privacy getting 6 months to 10 years according to the article, doesn’t seem proportional.   I have a hard time believing if someone invaded my privacy and posted naked pictures of me online, they’d serve 6 months to 10 years.

I agree with your way of thinking on this. 

I can't imagine anyone doing something like that to anyone.  It's just wrong, no matter how you look at it.  As for anyone posting naked pics of me online, I'm not sure Animal Planet has a category for that and I'm not talking in a good way.  LOL!

All the best to you.

Aug 31 18 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Todd Meredith wrote:

I agree with your way of thinking on this. 

I can't imagine anyone doing something like that to anyone.  It's just wrong, no matter how you look at it.  As for anyone posting naked pics of me online, I'm not sure Animal Planet has a category for that and I'm not talking in a good way.  LOL!

All the best to you.

Invading someone’s privacy is illegal and those who do so, should face consequences.   I guess the thing that seems screwed up to me is that allowing someone to be seen nude is considered a worse crime than something like manslaughter, (especially if it’s a celebrity.).   If society wasn’t so hung up on sexuality and nudity, such photos being seen by the public wouldn’t be an issue.   

While I sometimes value privacy, I sometimes wonder if society would be better off if we didn’t have such expectations of privacy and were forced to confront that people are in fact nude under their clothes and are in fact sexual beings.   

Again, I also think it’s unfair that invading a celebrities privacy should carry a worse penalty than a non celebrity.  I think gender is also an issue.  I have a hard time believing hackers posting nude photos of Harvey Keitel would receive 6 months to 10 years.

Sep 03 18 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Invading someone’s privacy is illegal and those who do so, should face consequences.   I guess the thing that seems screwed up to me is that allowing someone to be seen nude is considered a worse crime than something like manslaughter, (especially if it’s a celebrity.).   If society wasn’t so hung up on sexuality and nudity, such photos being seen by the public wouldn’t be an issue.   

While I sometimes value privacy, I sometimes wonder if society would be better off if we didn’t have such expectations of privacy and were forced to confront that people are in fact nude under their clothes and are in fact sexual beings.   

Again, I also think it’s unfair that invading a celebrities privacy should carry a worse penalty than a non celebrity.  I think gender is also an issue.  I have a hard time believing hackers posting nude photos of Harvey Keitel would receive 6 months to 10 years.

You make some very good points in your posting.  I agree there's a hang up about nudity but I also believe that there needs to be limits on public nudity.  There's a real difference between being nude in the privacy of your own home and, through some invasive manner, someone gets in and takes images of you and walking around with boobs or your junk hanging out in public just because you feel like it.  If we accepted the fact that everyone is nude at some point every day of their life and teach our children that's it natural within reasonable constraints, the world would probably be much better off.  I'm not sure the whole "I'll breast feed wherever I want!" is helping things at all but a woman sitting on a bench with a shawl over herself feeding her child is a natural and wholesome event.  People should recognize that on all sides of the equation.  Showing some class in how and why one is doing it is the key to it becoming more acceptable in society, as well as educating our young about the true facts of life.

As for anyone posting nude pictures of Harvey Keitel....please, my eyes, my eyes...LOL!

Sep 03 18 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
More likely, the sentence (which probably won't be served in full anyway)was meant to send a message.

If, in an ideal world, justice is blind, then the length of a sentence should not vary depending on whether the government wants to "send a message".

Sep 03 18 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Todd, I agree with everything you said.  I'm certainly not claiming it should be okay to hack people's phones and post the photos on the internet and I'm not saying people should go naked or express their sexuality anywhere, anytime.  My point is that the more accepting we are, the less such breaches of privacy will be seen as a big deal. 

It's kind of like someone who is gay coming out.  Once they come out, someone publicly saying they are gay, is no longer a big deal.  It's only a big deal if you think people will treat you negatively if something is made public.  It's the same with models wanting to keep their modeling secret by using a stage name.  It's an issue because they are worried people they know will judge them harshly and treat them negatively if they find out.  Take that judgement away and the breach of secrecy isn't a big deal.

Sep 04 18 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

For those commenting about sentencing comparisons,  The guy who posted Jen Lawrences photos got 8 months. (Plus 36 months supervised release)  the guy who got 3-10 years was the one years before who hacked / exposed MULTIPLE people's photos.  (there was like 20 -30 celebrities if I remember the stories and some video as well)   So he was charged / convicted of Multiple accounts.  Kind of like saying you steal 1 car gets you so much time, steal 50 and you are facing some serious time. 

Not saying sentences make sense.  There are plenty of individual cases that make one's head spin.  (Think Brock Turner for instance) but thought I'd point out 10 years was max (He'll probably serve 3 at most) and it was for multiple cases.

Sep 04 18 08:15 am Link