Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Who, Besides Me, Hates Flying?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

No lie -- airlines believe that the "average" male is 5'8" tall and weighs 170 pounds.  And they design the seats in the cabin according to that average, packing as many seats in as possible.

I'm taller than 5'8", and I weigh a lot more than 170 pounds.  I can't fit comfortably in current airline seats.  In addition to shrinking seat size, the overhead bins, well, aren't getting any bigger, so many passengers need to sacrifice their insufficient leg room by putting their carry-ons under the seat in front.  Once down there, it is impossible to reach down & get into your carry-on, because there simply isn't enough room to lean forward & reach down.

Add to the difficulties of getting through security, the shrinking food & in-flight entertainment, the long wait at the luggage carousel, and for me, flying is an absolute nightmare.

So, do you like to fly?  If you do, can you please share -- how tall are you & how much do you weigh?  Also, how long are your flights?

FWIW:  Because of my extreme discomfort, I do fly first class if I do have to fly, but even so, the 1st class seats are shrinking and the food is getting worse.

Aug 30 18 04:54 pm Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

I love flying!  You should get a sleigh and some reindeer!

Aug 30 18 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'm a little taller than this, too, and heavier. I don't fit well in the seats and am constantly hitting my head on the seemingly lower and lower ceiling heights and bin levels. Whatever the case, I can deal with these things as I'm usually not on a plane for a really long time.

What bothers me is the antics in the airport. Hundreds of hoops to go through, security believing I have something stuffed under my shirt (besides my stomach) until I attempt to undress and then they get angry because there are "families" around, take off my shoes, this, that and the other. Meanwhile anyone who wants to kill a lot of people just goes and does it seemingly unabated, everyone is dead, and they say "what a shame" or "thoughts and prayers for those who died".

Aug 30 18 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I am six feet two inches tall and I weigh 200 pounds. Thanks to deregulation, airline seats have not fit me in many years. Plus, in my advanced years, I have anxiety issues. I can't sit on an exit row. If I sit on an exit row, I will spend the entire flight watching the hatch, waiting for it to disappear into the slipstream. Thankfully I take a medication that helps mitigate the anxiety. Flying in a long metal tube, breathing recirculated air is something I absolutely loath. Airlines are not in business to serve the public. The flying public exists only to shell out way too much money for way too little service. Flying first class isn't even the treat it used to be. I do hold a private pilot certificate. If I could afford to own and operate my own airplane I would fly myself and my wife to whatever destination it is we need to get to. Just so you know, I love to fly. This year I have flown on a 1929 Ford Trimotor and in a Bell 47 (M*A*S*H) helicopter. I didn't pilot either of them but I did enjoy the flights.

Aug 30 18 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Sitting in a plane can be physically uncomfortable, but what has made me come to hate flying is the logistic snafus.   

Once a single flight gets off schedule, it messes everything up, because most other flights are too full to accommodate.  Some of the  international security stuff is a royal PITA.  I had one transfer changed by the airline to a later flight because they determined 2.5 hours was not sufficient time to make a connection in Miami, and they were right.

Aug 30 18 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I love to fly, since walking takes a bit of time.

Average height and average weight, which to say is overweight (or the "undertall"). I simply fall asleep sometime after rotation, and wake to the ding of the descent bell to fasten your seatbelts. Pity the people sitting next me. I warn them that I will snore, and do so loudly. I encourage them to nudge me if the snoring gets too loud. In all my travels, I only had one lady wake  from a deep snoring session.

I purchased the TSA pre-check, and really do appreciate using those lines. Well worthwhile for me.

Modern air travel is affordable because the airlines can pack people into those aluminum tubes efficiently.  If you wish to have more space, there are still some luxury airlines that cost ten times the normal price. go for it.

Aug 30 18 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I always had some notion that in the future they would offer essentially a special service upgrade you pay for inflight where they would put you to sleep and then wake you up when you reached your destination.  that 7 hour flight from JFK to Heathrow  to you would be 5 seconds. you just time travelled for all intent and purpose. of course you would sign a waiver, and of course this procedure is something we dont have now easily dispensed...but it makes zero sense to me to just be sitting for hours killing time. and alot of the times anxious.

Aug 30 18 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

I am always jealous of people that can sleep on the plane.
No matter how tired I am its impossible for me to sleep.
Been taking the 10 hour flight from the west coast to Tokyo usually once or twice a year.
Its torture.

Aug 30 18 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
No lie -- airlines believe that the "average" male is 5'8" tall and weighs 170 pounds.  And they design the seats in the cabin according to that average, packing as many seats in as possible.

I'm taller than 5'8", and I weigh a lot more than 170 pounds.  I can't fit comfortably in current airline seats.

I haven't flown in years largely for this very reason.  5'8" and 170 may very well be the average, but that means there are plenty of people bigger than that.  At 6'2" I find the size and shape of the seat to be excruciating on my back and legs.

Add to that all the usual complaints and forget it.  I used to love flying when I was a kid before it became such a miserable experience.

Longest flight I've ever done was CA to HI.  I can't even imagine going overseas.

I would gladly pay a reasonably higher price for something reasonably in between "packed like a sardine" and "lap of luxury".  I don't need to be pampered, I just don't want to feel like I've been kidnapped and beaten up by a bunch of thugs.

Aug 30 18 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have a love/hate relationship with flying.

I love the feeling when the plane's taking off. It means I'm actually on my way to wherever it is that I'm going. Either off on vacation, or going home.

I can put on my headphones/music and tune out the world, and go into a semi-sleep trance. Its very relaxing.

The parts I hate are the usual ones... getting on and off the darned plane (security, customs/immigration, traffic to/from airport, etc.).

I'm 6'1", under 200 lbs... so yes, seats are pretty cramped. I can put up with pretty much any discomfort for just 2-3 hours, and after 8 hours I can start to get pretty uncomfortable even in business class. Over 10 hours I get downright stir-crazy!

But, I like the view from 30,000 feet up... its very relaxing for me. It gives me some down time and the view reminds me of how petty the day to day things are when you see the world from up there. If you can tune out the fact that you're pretty uncomfortable, you can really use the time to relax and do some big thinking.

I also love the fact that with all the flying I've done, I have never crashed... not even once. That's always a huge bonus!

Aug 30 18 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I hate Airports, Security and Airlines
I love flying with a passion  !!!
Every second of it !

Aug 31 18 01:10 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I love flyin'  .  .  .  oh, you mean in an actual plane  .  .  .  like a commercial airline kinda plane  .  .  .  nope, hate it  .  .  .  wink  The last time I really enjoyed a flight was on one o' these  .  .  .

https://seaplanemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/J-27-N2969-041000-KFLL-93993_1123114655-777x437.jpg

.  .  .  but that didn't turn out too well either  .  .  .

SOS

Aug 31 18 08:58 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

In 2013 I went to China for a month on a Cathay Pacific flight.  After getting out of the hassle at O'Hare, an amazing flight with cheerful attentive flight attendants.  Ok, the flight was 14 hours which I would not like to do again.  Twelve hours on the return.  And had 7 flights within China on regional airlines with similar friendly flight attendants.  Chinese airports were easy to navigate with sufficient signs in English.  And sufficient translators to help non Chinese travelers get around.  Security was there but not oppressive like U.S. airports.  No undressing to go through security.  And pat downs versus x-ray machines,  normally by young fairly attractive ladies.  In June I flew a U.S. carrier to The Bahamas.  My first flight on a U.S. carrier flight since 2009.  After China, U.S. airport and in-flight experience sucks even more than before.

Aug 31 18 11:28 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rxz wrote:
In 2013 I went to China for a month on a Cathay Pacific flight.  After getting out of the hassle at O'Hare, an amazing flight with cheerful attentive flight attendants...

Cathay Pacific Coach... shoot me now.
Cathay Pacific Business Class... do I have to get off the plane?

Aug 31 18 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

5' 10", 160 lbs, am perfectly comfortable in coach but we always go for FC because travel is awesome and should always be approached as a gift you give yourself.

Longest flights we've taken were Newark to Amsterdam (8 hours) and Miami to Sao Paulo (9 hours).

Aug 31 18 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I should add, I’m only 5-9- but I have very broad shoulders, almost two feet,  so my wingspan is wider than most (if not all) economy class seats.   If I have an isle seat, I’m constantly being bumped by people walking passed. Other seats depend on the size of the other occupants. 

Not too long ago, another guy with broad shoulders sat next to me in the window seat, while I had the isle seat next to him.  He was sitting at an angle with a shoulder against the window, our shoulders were touching and my other shoulder extended into the isle.   It was ridiculous.   Fortunately, after take off, he was able to find another seat, which was good for all involved.   

There are many, many problems with designing things around average.  Almost half off all people will be on the wrong side of average.   Designing  traffic signs based on 20/20 average vision is another example.  A large percent of the population has worse than 20/20 vision but meet legal driving requirements.

Aug 31 18 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

noir

Crewe, England, United Kingdom

According to Google, I'm a similar height and weight to Mohammed Ali.   Maybe when we were the same age.
Something tells me he got (earned and paid for) different spacial  awareness than the average Joe when flying.

Not flown since a hairy helicopter photoshoot..  Curiously, at my last exhibition, engaged conversation with a genial visitor who appeared little older than the models I shoot. He casually remarked that he was an air traffic controller.  But would never travel in a helicopter.

Am sure helicopter users will be quick to give reassurance.....

Sep 14 18 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I am about 6'2" or a little less as I shrink in my senior years, and weigh 14.3 metric tons... ok well maybe not that much, but I shot past my ideal weight a couple decades ago...(maybe 260 now sad )

So a coach seat in an airliner was an instrument of torture. Not just for me, but for the poor unfortunates forced to sit next to me.

So I gave up coach literally decades ago. Business or first class became the only way I could get to a destination with any comfort at all. On planes with no business/first class I bought 2 coach seats.

When I retired after I got sick, I flew a few more times, and found the increasing hassle and bother pretty much killed any enjoyment in travel for me.

I was an Air Force puke- I flew a LOT with my butt strapped in a web seat, facing center line cargo in a KC-135. Compared to the web seats in a cargo plane, those coach seats on an airliner seemed absolutely luxurious to a 22 year old GI coming home.... smile

As for helicopters. Amazingly useful devices. They have changed the way we do things in the world.

But I wont fly on one, even at gun point. Damn wings dont stay still....and us Air Force types are wing watchers smile

In truth, the rotor sound has such a negative connotation for me after a decade of news stories out of Vietnam that I just dont like them very much.

Sep 14 18 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

noir

rfordphotos wrote:
As for helicopters. Amazingly useful devices. They have changed the way we do things in the world.

But I wont fly on one, even at gun point.

We were doing short loops, the ground was vertical and the g forces considerable and not all went smoothly.

After the event, my assistant and I compared notes. Double endorphin high.

Sep 14 18 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

FWIW:  Because of my extreme discomfort, I do fly first class if I do have to fly, but even so, the 1st class seats are shrinking and the food is getting worse.

You should be glad that there is a First Class.
All over Europe airlines have substituted First Class by "Business Class" years ago. And on short and medium haul flights (within Europe) "Business Class" simply means: the same seats than Economy and just the middle seat of a 3-seat-row blocked plus more free bagagge and the possibility of change bookings without additional fees...

Modern air travel is a kind of intensive livestock farming.

Add to the difficulties of getting through security, the shrinking food & in-flight entertainment, the long wait at the luggage carousel, and for me, flying is an absolute nightmare.

So, do you like to fly?  If you do, can you please share -- how tall are you & how much do you weigh?  Also, how long are your flights?

I'm 6'2" and not as slim as I used to be in my younger days... :-(/

I do not care about "food quality" aboard planes. It's simply: safety first, safety second, safety third, legroom fourth, reliabilty fifth.
Not to forget the never ending absurd story of "camera bags as hand baggage in regular flights". Below your seat? (Pah... below my seat is no space at all. "Below my seat" means: "below my feet".
Or should it be stored in the overhead bin?

Do not waste your lifetime to understand where a 6 to 8 kg (13 to 18 lbs) camera bag should be stored. It's all catch 22. If you put it "under your seat" the stewardess will tell you it must be stored in the overhead bin. If you put it into the overhead bin next time the stewardess will tell you you have to put in "under your seat"... Just place it somewhere, then wait for the stewardess to tell you how to relocate it and when the "safety belts" signs are switched off take your camerabag and place it wherever you want it to be placed.

Nobody will care until the landing procedures...

How do I like to fly? Business Class long haul. 180° flat angle seats. ;-)
But often there is no alternative. I regard myself as a travel professional. Seatguru is my friend. Luckily within Europe you do not fly longer than ~ three hours. For intercontinental flights every Euro/Dollar you spend for more legroom is well-invested money. ("Economy Plus" or similar - if Business Class is not an option.)

Sep 14 18 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

nwprophoto wrote:
I am always jealous of people that can sleep on the plane.

Luckily I can sleep literally everywhere. If I wanted to do I could lay down on a bank at Paris Gare de Lyon on a Friday afternoon and fell asleep within five minutes. (Not that I want to do so...)

I can sleep in airplanes - the only problem is to remove the knots from my bones and tendons after getting awake again. I feel like a folding ladder squeezed into a subcompact car's trunk for some minutes then... Or like Charles Laughton as "Quasimodo" in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...

rfordphotos wrote:

I love helos.Most of all when the helicopter tries to land on the landing pad of a 3500ts frigate at sea state 4 to 5... Better than any rollercoaster.

Sep 14 18 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Ha! Haven't flown in over 40 years and have no intention of changing my mind. I'm happy.

Sep 14 18 07:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

I refuse to fly anymore.  Having to deal with TSA and then be herded onto a plane and packed in with a couple hundred people I don't care to be that close to is just too much for me.

Back in the 60's and 70's, it was fun to fly.

Not any more.

No thanks!

Sep 14 18 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

If I have to get somewhere and flying is the best way, I fly.

Sep 14 18 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I love flying, but I hate flying!

I love getting on an aircraft but it's the hassle of security and then the boredom of the flight.

I am not a movie watcher so the IFE doesn't help.

In April I took 4 flights to get from Seattle-NYC and on the longest flights of 3 hours I was still bored and just wanting to get to the next airport right there and then

Sep 14 18 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Boudoir Studio

Santa Clarita, California, US

Used to fly weekly in the 80's within California.  Don't think I ever checked a bag.  Caribbean vacations at least a dozen times during the 80's and 90's.   A few more painful trips since then and did my best to avoid flying....  Wife and Son got me a ticket to Paris last summer.  LAX to Paris non-stop.  At 6'5" this was extremely painful as my knees were imbedded in the seat in front of me on both flights.   My knees still hurt....  Not sure if/when I will be flying again.   Any less legroom and people will be standing during their flights...

Sep 16 18 12:36 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I haven't had the opportunity to fly in way over a decade, but I used to fly a lot.

By a lot, I mean Frankfurt/Germany to NYC back and forth for every other week, two to four times a month, sometimes just for the weekend (I was married in NYC, working for a German investment firm).

I loved that I had two residences, and all I needed to fly either way was my briefcase and a suit, nothing else.

I got to know some of the flight crew, as a real frequent flier.

I had so many frequent flier miles accumulated that doing a round-trip to Tokyo from NYC, for my tattoo, I spend less than $200 for the flight. borat

I hope that I will have the opportunity to fly regularly again soon.

I am 5'10" and weigh around 205lbs.

Sep 16 18 01:16 am Link

Photographer

noir

Still curious about helicopter safety.

As said, at my last exhibition, an affable young chap, barely older than a typical model I would shoot, causally commented he was an air traffic controller and would never fly in a helicopter.  Further questions only got wry smiles.

No idea about helicopter safety.  Only this guy.

Academic for me.  Past 30 years travelled UK and Europe overland.

Sep 16 18 08:29 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I dislike flying, not from fear, or the lack of comfort, but because any flight longer than four hours is too boring for me.

Sep 16 18 09:14 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

While flying has become increasingly uncomfortable in steerage class, especially for the the tall or large, one huge improvement since the '80s and earlier is that one can fly without breathing toxic cigarette smoke. Smoking was only fully banned on all flights in 2000, though it was restricted beginning in the late '80s.

Prior to that, at least for the prior 10 years or so, there were smoking/non smoking sections, which made it tolerably better. Except for one airline (perhaps PSA), that split the sections across the aisle, so it was a distinction without a difference.

Sep 16 18 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

noir wrote:
No idea about helicopter safety.  Only this guy.

it's about power failure. with a plane, if you have altitude, gliding down has a chance if you can find a place (field, road, beach) to land. with a helicopter, it's autorotation and much more complicated. depending on density altitude, gross weight, rotor rotational speed, and forward airspeed to maybe safely put the craft down.

"average passenger" is only a start. they have to calculate the best fit for "most" passengers (somewhere in the 80%-90% range). have friends who are 6 ft (183 cm) plus and they do coach with no problems. when your weight is past the 200 lb (91 kg) it's much more problematic. also depends on trunk to leg length ratio.

with many pilot friends, it's easy to get lots of time in smaller planes. started in college flying in a luscombe and a while ago, working at the meteor vineyard job in napa, we would hop into a cessna 310 at the napa airport and be in sandpoint idaho three hours later. commercial travel is a different story.

sospix wrote:
The last time I really enjoyed a flight was on one o' these  .  .  .

it's a grumman G-73 mallard, with upgraded engines. have friends that have those (floaters).

Sep 16 18 10:49 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

it's about power failure. with a plane, if you have altitude, gliding down has a chance if you can find a place (field, road, beach) to land. with a helicopter, it's autorotation and much more complicated. depending on density altitude, gross weight, rotor rotational speed, and forward airspeed to maybe safely put the craft down.

The statistical risk of a crash is so small for airplanes as well as for helicopters that I do not care about either.

The most dangerous part of any air travel is driving by car to the airport.

Sep 16 18 12:05 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My size is fine for plane travel, but the notion of flying is really weird for me to contemplate because I haven't been on a plane since January of 2000, before 9/11.  Things are much different now than they were back before that event when it comes to plane travel, boarding a plane, packing a carry-on, etc.

I will also add that I have seen many very large people take up two seats on public transit.   I have seen obese people on buses who have taken up three seats (two for their body, and one for their stuff).  There is apparently a PC term for this -- "Person Of Size" or "Customer Of Size".  This is a different concept than what the OP is talking about, but I think it is still related to it somehow.

Sep 16 18 02:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Boudoir Studio wrote:
...Any less legroom and people will be standing during their flights...

That's the plan for the future with the bicycle style seat design.  LOL

Sep 16 18 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I profoundly dislike traveling from the time I live my apartment to my final destination....Especially after 9/11. So far I have visited over 25 countries, most prior 9/11.
Within Europe high speed trains are the best... From center of cities to centers. same in Japan!

Sep 19 18 08:18 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Within Europe high speed trains are the best...

... eh... ;-/

German ICE trains... malfunctioning air condition during hot summers (not capable for handling outside temperatures higher than ~ 36°C / 98° F)... huge delays quite often... trains lack sufficient capacity...

Sep 19 18 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Phil_I

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Kind of related to a fear of flying. Keith Miller is one of Australia's most memorable test cricketers. He flew Mosquitos over Germany and occupied France during WWII, and he once memorably said years later in a television interview: "Pressure? There is no pressure in Test cricket. Real pressure is when you are flying a Mosquito with a Messerschmitt up your arse.. That's pressure."

Sep 19 18 07:44 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I'm by no means a large person and can't deal with airplane seats. Last flight I was on this tiny Korean lady was sitting next to me and our butts touched the whole trip (and she amusingly somehow turned on 13 going on 30 on my TV because she fell asleep with her arm on the armrest that controls my TV). I would rather coast to coast Amtrak it, because even the coach seats are spacious. JetBlue is the most tolerable space-wise.

Sure beats flapping my arms for 3,000 miles though, i gave that up in '14.

Sep 25 18 10:49 am Link

Photographer

phoenixphoto

Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia

I don't fly anymore.
Nothing to do with seats or security.
I flew into Fiji a few years ago, no problem.
Then had to take a smaller twin engine plane to one of the other islands within the group.

Obscured by a thunderstorm/rain squall, the pilot approached the runway (which I couldn't see) & then aborted before flying around for a second attempt.
Conditions hadn't changed the second time around either, but in we went.
As we descended the runway & lights appeared in front of us & we landed perfectly.

When it came time to leave I dreaded the small plane flight back to the main island. I contemplated a boat. Or swimming.

Living in Australia there are big distances to cover for many trips. Lately though, I have taken to driving 10 or 11 hours instead of flying for 1.5 hours.

Sep 30 18 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

phoenixphoto wrote:
Obscured by a thunderstorm/rain squall, the pilot approached the runway (which I couldn't see) & then aborted before flying around for a second attempt.

I'll never forget the aborted landing I experienced in Paris back in the 70's in a big 747. Stormy/foggy weather, the pilot went to full-throttle when we were just hundreds of feet up... it was awesome... the power of those Rolls Royce engines was amazing. I though that was fun.

Sep 30 18 03:05 am Link