Forums > Critique > Critique on my newest photo

Model

BeccaBalistic

San Jose, California, US

My avatar is my newest photo and I'd like some critique on it!
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 7c40ed.jpg
All critiques taken seriously and constructively. Anything you can offer is valued and appreciated!
This is my most recent shoot and one of my favorite photos. I have one other photo from this shoot in my MM portfolio. All other photos on my port are somewhat amateur so these more recent ones are what I'm seeking critique on but any and all is welcomed and encouraged!
Thanks all,
Becca

Sep 04 18 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Hate to tell you, but it's not good. It's out of focus and not at all sharp even in the most focused regions, poorly framed (you're too high in the image and the horizon is cockeyed), and overexposed to blowout.

This is the most frustrating image, IMO.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180818/16/5b78b0cca7fc0_m.jpg
It's well lighted and exposed and in-focus, but seeing your back and the back of your head doesn't do much to sell you as a model. If you had been facing the camera, this would have been a genuine keeper.

You're a good-looking young woman and I look forward to seeing the results of you shooting with someone with some experience.

Sep 04 18 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

I agree with this:

Orca Bay Images wrote:
and overexposed to blowout.

+ it's a cliche concept.

This photo is more attention getting: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44500925

Sep 04 18 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Your portfolio is not the worst for a first timer. I hope that you won't be discouraged.

Your hair is blown out, not there, looks like part of the sky. There is a strange white ball in your lap. Your knee and part of your thigh are burned out as well as various other spots on your body.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180903/21/5b8e0db7c40ed_m.jpg

The ocean is flowing downhill.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180817/13/5b772b3fac79d_m.jpg

I really can't see much other than the sun.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180818/16/5b78b0d6535fc_m.jpg

Sep 04 18 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Everyone has to start somewhere smile

Please note that the critical comments here pertain to photography issues that were not under your control. But you can learn from what has been offered here. You are an attractive young model and your best work is most certainly ahead of you. Kudos to you for coming into the critique forum, that takes some courage.

Find better photographers to work with and I think you will be pleased with the results. Continue to learn about both modeling and photography, and look at lots of portfolios here on MM. Have fun! And just an FYI...train track photos were a good idea....maybe a few decades ago, before thousands of people copied it. Now, it is something that has just been done far too much...

Sep 04 18 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Face the camera more.  6 out of 10 photos you're not looking at the camera.  Just stick to the basics, then build on that.

BTW, I'd get rid of that photo of you chugging down that bottle of beer.  It just looks trashy.  This is your portfolio, not social media.

Sep 04 18 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

roger alan wrote:
Please note that the critical comments here pertain to photography issues that were not under your control. But you can learn from what has been offered here. You are an attractive young model and your best work is most certainly ahead of you. Kudos to you for coming into the critique forum, that takes some courage.

I totally agree with the courage part.

As for the technical aspects and content of the images, those are on the photographer but it's also up to the model to determine what's suitable portfolio material. Here's where she can learn.

For Becca:
In a nutshell, what you need for your portfolio are images that show YOU off, not the photographer's cleverness. You're advertising your looks and modeling skills. We can't tell if you're the model for us if you:
- are faced completely away from the camera*
- are overexposed or underexposed to the point that parts of you are missing or featureless
- are out of focus
- are largely hidden in shadow
- figure so small in a larger view that we can't make out any detail from you
- are buried in bulky clothing that hides you rather than shows you off (not a problem in your current portfolio, but a common mistake in too many portfolios of lesser-experienced models).

* exceptions: dance or athletics in which you're showing off your body or your flexibility or your moves; otherwise, show your face.

Be merciless in evaluating images for your portfolio. Your port is your one-and-only chance to audition for future shoots. A photographer's port may have a different priority (i.e., showing off the photographer's chops), but in a trade shoot the photographer should account for your port needs (i.e., to show your looks and talents) as well. If a photographer doesn't provide images that fulfill your port needs, find another photographer.

Sep 05 18 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Also, for an avatar, I'd pick/crop a photo that shows more of you in frame.  Keep in mind, in Browse and Casting Call results, actually everywhere except your profile, the avatars are dinky.  You're more likely to get scrolled past because you're hard to see.

Sep 06 18 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

alkeschwarz

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I think that, like the others, the harsh lighting doesn’t really add anything to the picture. The picture, in my opinion, looks a little outdated, when at the moment, being innovative is truly a godsend. I can tell you have creativity and a drive in the way you model with confidence, but your shoots have not enabled you to show that thus far very explicitly - I would recommend that you find a photographer where you really become part of the collaboration, and are not just posed as a cut out and stuck into the picture. I agree, that you should probably have more pictures facing the camera rather than looking away, however, I do like the vibe of mystery that we get from just one of them, so maybe just restrain and keep your favourite to show a range. Lastly, I feel as though a lot of your pictures are varied to the point at which I cannot see that they are the same person. Yes, this could show a range, but you should stick with pictures that resemble how you look now so that there isn’t confusion. Despite this, I can see that you truly have a passion for this and you should definitely not lose hope or give up because that drive is what will take you to the top, besides, it’s always a good sign if you’re willing to learn from critiques. Hope this helps! Have a great day smile

Sep 09 18 01:43 am Link