Forums > Critique > Please critique my portfolio

Photographer

kanphotography

New York, New York, US

Please critique my portfolio and suggest me how to become more into a boudoir photographer... thank you all!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/4188682/viewall

Sep 12 18 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Boudoir is not an area that I frequently shoot, but I believe that some basic principles remain the same no matter the area. For a "very experienced" photographer you seem to make some fairly basic mistakes in the images you show.

Water does not run uphill, so water in the horizon should be level. Likewise towers and buildings (usually) don't lean over from the ground up.

Most of your images are centered, use of negative space and the rule of thirds (or fifths) would lead the viewer's eye to the subject of the photograph.

When you are shooting with 'fussy' backgrounds, narrow the depth of field to highlight your subject. Where you have done so, it makes the image much stronger.

It might be time to dust off those basic composition books...

Good luck,
JT

Sep 13 18 05:45 am Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

Your images are beautiful.  I really like the tone of your images and your use of color. Your subjects are gorgeous. And your subjects  appear to be comfortable  and at ease working with you which, IMHO, is an important thing that is not often mentioned.

But I also noticed that many of the images  are slightly rotated to the right (more often) or the left, such that natural or man made elements in the background do not look quite right. In some the rotation is fairly obvious, in others  more subtle.

Sep 13 18 10:31 am Link

Photographer

kanphotography

New York, New York, US

Thank you for your observations! Appreciate it!!

Sep 14 18 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

I found shots such as this one, a teenie bit underexposed, at least for the subject?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180912/21/5b99e7d1e6e78_m.jpg

maybe bump the warmth a bit as well?

Sep 19 18 10:06 am Link