Forums > Photography Talk > Good Old Film Days

Photographer

J_Nicholas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

hbutz New York wrote:
From what I've seen, the US market is drying up on 35mm vintage cameras.  I've had to start importing from Japan to get something which wasn't beat to hell.  Film cameras differed from digital cameras in one important aspect - an $80 camera took just as good of a photograph as a $2000 camera provided you had a good lens and knew how to use it.  e.g. the Pentax K-1000 vs. the Pentax LX.

But, that didn't get you cool features such as autofocus and autobracketing and a decent light meter with an electronic shutter.  And, once it breaks or needs adjustments there are no parts or people to fix it - it's done. 

It's just not right that film photographers need to resort to rummaging thru the scrap heap for equipment.  It's humiliating behavior from the camera companies whom I've sent many a tax refund check for my cool toys.

LOL I have been able to find a few good ones on Facebook Mareketplace around here.

Sep 15 18 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

AgX wrote:

Isaiah Brink wrote:
Well, we refer it like that because most of us no longer use film like you.  Most of us have made the digital switch for one reason or another, partially due to most of us not having a lab in our area that process film, and we don't have darkrooms in our homes or studios.

I certainly understand the you might not use film anymore, and that most don't use film, and I understand the many reasons why. But to frame it with

and

suggests that film has been relegated to some bygone time that only "oldtimers" can remember. That it's not made anymore, that you can't buy it or use it anymore, but you could "way back then. Remember those days?".

It perpetuates those questions of, "Can you still get film for that thing?! Really?"
Yeah, I can. Online, delivered in a couple of days, or if I'm in a rush, at the photo store 3 blocks from my place where they have a whole fridge full.

Actually, this is supposed to be a light hearted thread for those of us who don't use film anymore for various reasons.  Stop trying to rain on the parade.   Yes, we know we can go shop online and get film still, what?  Think we use a digital camera and a computer to edit them but don't know how to use google?  You underestimate us, or think we're stupid.  Either way, thanks, but please don't bring such negativity to a light hearted thread.  IF you want to spread your negativity, try another thread.  There's plenty that have been hijacked already.

Sep 15 18 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

J_Nicholas wrote:

LOL I have been able to find a few good ones on Facebook Mareketplace around here.

B&H has a good supply, 35mm, 120, and sheet film.  Also has some Polaroid film too.

Sep 15 18 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

hbutz New York wrote:

Zack Zoll wrote:
Nikon's F6 has actually been out of production for a couple years - they just have a shitload of them left.

'cause the thing sold for $2500 and it's best cool feature was saving metadata to a SD card as a $300 option, with a Nikon rechargeable battery which listed for $175 (if memory serves me).  And they're not selling?  Go figure.

From what I've seen, the US market is drying up on 35mm vintage cameras.  I've had to start importing from Japan to get something which wasn't beat to hell.  Film cameras differed from digital cameras in one important aspect - an $80 camera took just as good of a photograph as a $2000 camera provided you had a good lens and knew how to use it.  e.g. the Pentax K-1000 vs. the Pentax LX.

But, that didn't get you cool features such as autofocus and autobracketing and a decent light meter with an electronic shutter.  And, once it breaks or needs adjustments there are no parts or people to fix it - it's done. 

It's just not right that film photographers need to resort to rummaging thru the scrap heap for equipment.  It's humiliating behavior from the camera companies whom I've sent many a tax refund check for my cool toys.

What you call 'the market drying up', I call 'people running out of working units to sell, and/or owners with working units in the closet not being eBay friendly.' The stuff is absolutely still out there. I live in a a city that, in my view, is just barely large enough to count as a city - and we have all sorts of stuff around. New York, maybe not as much - there are enough people that I wouldn't doubt most of the cheap cameras are snatched up, and the remaining o es go for real money because ... Well, they can.

I've actually thought very seriously about buying all the Technics turntables, Polaroid cameras, and Advent speakers I can get my hands on up here, renting a van, and driving down to the Bushwick flea market to sell them for five times what I paid.

To me, those 35mm cameras are a lost cause. I can buy a beat-up but perfectly functional Yashica-mat or Bronica for the same price as one of the major 35mm models, so why would I shoot 35mm? I could buy a Mamiyaflex for freaking nothing. To a serious film shooter, the best thing about the 'film renaissance' is that most everybody is chasing 35mm cameras, and that has caused the price of larger formats not made by Hassy/Rollei to stagnate ... which after inflation, means 120 cameras are cheaper than ever, even if the price of 'film' cameras is rising.

And no, that isn't at odds with my previous post. The fact that some moustache-waxing douche wants (and will get!) $400 for a MIB K1000 doesn't mean you can't buy an FM for chump change - it just means that you're going to have to look harder than the 'wouldn't it be cool?' buyer is willing to look.

Sep 15 18 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Zack Zoll wrote:

What you call 'the market drying up', I call 'people running out of working units to sell, and/or owners with working units in the closet not being eBay friendly.' The stuff is absolutely still out there. I live in a a city that, in my view, is just barely large enough to count as a city - and we have all sorts of stuff around. New York, maybe not as much - there are enough people that I wouldn't doubt most of the cheap cameras are snatched up, and the remaining o es go for real money because ... Well, they can.

I've actually thought very seriously about buying all the Technics turntables, Polaroid cameras, and Advent speakers I can get my hands on up here, renting a van, and driving down to the Bushwick flea market to sell them for five times what I paid.

To me, those 35mm cameras are a lost cause. I can buy a beat-up but perfectly functional Yashica-mat or Bronica for the same price as one of the major 35mm models, so why would I shoot 35mm? I could buy a Mamiyaflex for freaking nothing. To a serious film shooter, the best thing about the 'film renaissance' is that most everybody is chasing 35mm cameras, and that has caused the price of larger formats not made by Hassy/Rollei to stagnate ... which after inflation, means 120 cameras are cheaper than ever, even if the price of 'film' cameras is rising.

And no, that isn't at odds with my previous post. The fact that some moustache-waxing douche wants (and will get!) $400 for a MIB K1000 doesn't mean you can't buy an FM for chump change - it just means that you're going to have to look harder than the 'wouldn't it be cool?' buyer is willing to look.

I think you're on to something.  I think time will tell with things, will medium format and 35mm market dry up?  In time it will.  How much time, I don't know.  Will there be new cameras made?  I don't think they will, last I heard Nikon just released a new digital camera.  Something about "Z".  I think people know what I"m talking about.  And Canon just released a new digital camera as well.  Anyways, I forget, what films did you like again?  You know, let me look back at he previous pots.

Sep 15 18 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I actually think 4x5 will die off before 120. 4x5s are all more-or-less the same, Gowlan's excepted. 120 comes in all sorts of designs, many of which - like the TLR and rangefinder - either do not exist in any other format, or exist only in very high- or low-end models. For the user - and huge bias here, because I'm a hardcore TLR shooter - that means that the 120 format allows for a method of working that is difficult to achieve in any other format. I look forward to ditching my 4x5 one day, but I don't see myself ever getting rid of my TLRs, even though I know that the quality is easily matched by today's high-end digital cameras shooting color, and we're not too far off from matching the dynamic range of black and white. Give it another generation or two, and you'll have to have some pretty obscure development processes to achieve better results - but the ability to work differently will still be there.

And you can absolutely work like a view camera with digital. Connect to an iPad mini with Bluetooth, disable automatic screen rotation, and turn the iPad upside down. It's not backwards, but you're basically there. By a tilt/shift lens if you like. You don't have nearly as much control as a rail camera, especially over perspective - but you have about as much control as I have with my Technika.

For TLRs, I shoot Hp5+ 400 at 100, developed in a low contrast dilution at 200. I used to shoot at 200 and develop normally when I printed in the darkroom, but I find denser, lower contrast negatives tend to scan much better.

I experimented with Pyro development for a while. It wasn't for me. That was another thing that I thought worked incredibly well for 35mm where tonal range is a lot harder to come by, but with larger formats there are simpler ways to achieve the same results, without having to deal with all the disadvantages that Pyro introduces.

Sep 16 18 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Studio NSFW wrote:
I wonder if the old Daguerreotype photographers struggled to continue their craft in the face of the new silver halide technology onslaught...before the mercury poisoning got to them?

Silver photography has many improvements over Daguerreotype and was a nice progression of technology.  Digital is a step backwards from film.

Mirrorless digital is another step backwards from DSLR.

It's not even photography anymore.  They should just change the name from "photography" to "digital imaging."

Sep 17 18 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

hbutz New York wrote:

Silver photography has many improvements over Daguerreotype and was a nice progression of technology.  Digital is a step backwards from film.

Mirrorless digital is another step backwards from DSLR.

It's not even photography anymore.  They should just change the name from "photography" to "digital imaging."

I'm curious to hear your reasoning there. I don't totally disagree, but it does sound a bit arbitrary and Luddite ... Ish? Luddish?

Sep 17 18 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
I'm curious to hear your reasoning there. I don't totally disagree, but it does sound a bit arbitrary and Luddite ... Ish? Luddish?

Sorry... didn't want to turn this into a "film vs. digital" thread.  imho, digital cameras have less exposure latitude than film and it's far easier to blow out highlights on a digital due to a linear vs. s-curve response.  Film more closely follows the response of the human eye.  Technology continues to make improvements, slowly but "sharpness" of digital is not an attribute I'm in desperate need of.  If I want perfect image, sharpness, and perfect color I can just look out the window.

Mirrorless cameras have worse battery life and worse autofocus and tracking.  The few advantages they do provide are not things I'm looking for.  I don't need a smaller camera which takes more frames per second.  And, models like a photographer who use big full frame cameras wink

In my opinion again, we all chase the shiny new toys and stand in line for the latest model of cell phones, rather than making demands on the market.  We let the camera companies tell us what we want - which is more expensive and less desirable than what we have, but makes more profit for them.

Sep 18 18 04:04 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

EPP Ektachrome plus, pretty standard for magazine submissions and working at museums for documentation
TMax 400 rated at 200 developed in microdol (?) if I remember right?
Kodak gold for print ( i didn't shoot much print film)

shot a nikon 8008, fm2, finally a f5 before going digital
medium format was Hassy
4x5 8x10 was calumet, Sinar p2 and Toyoview GX ( I think was also yaw free)

Damn hard to remember.  Back in those days I used to sleep in front of my cameras. Shooting since the early 80s.

Sep 18 18 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

martin b wrote:
EPP Ektachrome plus, pretty standard for magazine submissions and working at museums for documentation
TMax 400 rated at 200 developed in microdol (?) if I remember right?
Kodak gold for print ( i didn't shoot much print film)

shot a nikon 8008, fm2, finally a f5 before going digital
medium format was Hassy
4x5 8x10 was calumet, Sinar p2 and Toyoview GX ( I think was also yaw free)

Damn hard to remember.  Back in those days I used to sleep in front of my cameras. Shooting since the early 80s.

Yeah, back in the day, if you had a Hassy, you had some money!  Don't get me wrong they were great cameras without a doubt, but you paid for them!  I got to use a Calumet 4x5 camera a few times, and I have to say, I enjoyed it.  I wish I got to use it more to get the hang of 4x5, it was also a joy to print them as well.  I liked using either Plus x or Try x in the 4x5.  Never got to use a Hasselblad though, or even 120.  Just 35mm and 4x5 for me.  What I really wish is that I could have taken that Calumet to Yosemite, since it was less than an hour away from me at the time.

Sep 18 18 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

hbutz New York wrote:

Sorry... didn't want to turn this into a "film vs. digital" thread.  imho, digital cameras have less exposure latitude than film and it's far easier to blow out highlights on a digital due to a linear vs. s-curve response.  Film more closely follows the response of the human eye.  Technology continues to make improvements, slowly but "sharpness" of digital is not an attribute I'm in desperate need of.  If I want perfect image, sharpness, and perfect color I can just look out the window.

Mirrorless cameras have worse battery life and worse autofocus and tracking.  The few advantages they do provide are not things I'm looking for.  I don't need a smaller camera which takes more frames per second.  And, models like a photographer who use big full frame cameras wink

In my opinion again, we all chase the shiny new toys and stand in line for the latest model of cell phones, rather than making demands on the market.  We let the camera companies tell us what we want - which is more expensive and less desirable than what we have, but makes more profit for them.

I see what you're saying, and I won't veer too far off topic either. I'll just point out that film isn't just a medium - it's an entire system. That's especially true when talking about 'the good old days.'

Even when I shoot digital, I often get comments at shows about how great it is that I'm 'keeping film alive.' Makes sense from people that know me and know I usually shoot film, but I get it from strangers too. I think it's because I use old film lenses, I shoot and process for maximum dynamic range, and I print using the Piezography K7 system, which more closely resembles analog prints than regular inkjets do.

There certainly are things that can only be done with certain mediums, but I find that the vast majority of the things that someone says cannot be done absolutely can - the speaker just hasn't seen it done yet.

Sep 18 18 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Yeah, back in the day, if you had a Hassy, you had some money!  Don't get me wrong they were great cameras without a doubt, but you paid for them!  I got to use a Calumet 4x5 camera a few times, and I have to say, I enjoyed it.  I wish I got to use it more to get the hang of 4x5, it was also a joy to print them as well.  I liked using either Plus x or Try x in the 4x5.  Never got to use a Hasselblad though, or even 120.  Just 35mm and 4x5 for me.  What I really wish is that I could have taken that Calumet to Yosemite, since it was less than an hour away from me at the time.

Hassys (Hassies?) have come down in price, but not a lot - aside from the ones with electric film advances, which (IMO) aren't worth the effort of sourcing batteries and dealing with the weight. They also hop back up once in a while, even if the overall trend is (barely) down.

I shot one for a long time, usually with an 80s Zeiss 80mm. My around town work used to be with a Hassy, actually. I also used a Yashica-mat EM, 124G, Mamiya C2, S (or F, I forget) , Agfa Isolette (forget the version) , and a Bronica. I only owned about half those cameras myself, and the rest I either played around with or borrowed because I didn't currently own a 6x6. The project isn't finished, but so far I have images in there from every camera but the Isolette, and they all look about the same. Of course i'm shooting this project mostly around f/11 and usually with a tripod, so I'm not asking the cameras to do much heavy lifting.

The sharpest image in the series was with the Mamiya S/F, and handheld oddly enough. And of all of those cameras, I only kept the 124G. They all looked so damn similar, and that was the camera I most enjoyed using.

I wouldn't buy another Hassy. It was a great camera, it was my first step into 'serious' photographic equipment, and I'm glad I owned it. But I wouldn't buy it again. If the money for a Hassy dropped into my lap, I'd buy a Rollei if I were walking around and only needed one lens, or an RB/RZ if I were using it in studio.

Because of the brand recognition, that's one of the few 120 cameras that still sells for real money. It was a great purchase fifteen years ago when it wasn't *that* much more expensive than other great 120 cameras, but now they're 2-3 times more money than cameras that are just as good.

Sep 18 18 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Hassys (Hassies?) have come down in price, but not a lot - aside from the ones with electric film advances, which (IMO) aren't worth the effort of sourcing batteries and dealing with the weight. They also hop back up once in a while, even if the overall trend is (barely) down.

I shot one for a long time, usually with an 80s Zeiss 80mm. My around town work used to be with a Hassy, actually. I also used a Yashica-mat EM, 124G, Mamiya C2, S (or F, I forget) , Agfa Isolette (forget the version) , and a Bronica. I only owned about half those cameras myself, and the rest I either played around with or borrowed because I didn't currently own a 6x6. The project isn't finished, but so far I have images in there from every camera but the Isolette, and they all look about the same. Of course i'm shooting this project mostly around f/11 and usually with a tripod, so I'm not asking the cameras to do much heavy lifting.

The sharpest image in the series was with the Mamiya S/F, and handheld oddly enough. And of all of those cameras, I only kept the 124G. They all looked so damn similar, and that was the camera I most enjoyed using.

I wouldn't buy another Hassy. It was a great camera, it was my first step into 'serious' photographic equipment, and I'm glad I owned it. But I wouldn't buy it again. If the money for a Hassy dropped into my lap, I'd buy a Rollei if I were walking around and only needed one lens, or an RB/RZ if I were using it in studio.

Because of the brand recognition, that's one of the few 120 cameras that still sells for real money. It was a great purchase fifteen years ago when it wasn't *that* much more expensive than other great 120 cameras, but now they're 2-3 times more money than cameras that are just as good.

I once had a Yashica-Mat 124G and liked it at the time.

Sep 18 18 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I first sold it, because Hassy. Then later I regretted it ... So I sold the Hassy, bought another 124G, and paid my rent for a month and a half smile

Wide open, especially with color film, it doesn't compete with a Rollei or Hassy. Stopped down, I absolutely could not tell.

One thing I recommend with Yaschica-mats of any sort: buy film seals. The design of the camera means that you don't actually need them, but that squishy foam will hold your the film back (and thus the film plate) more firmly. After doing that, the only thing I missed about my Hassy was being able to change film without taking off the tripod plate. Otherwise, cheaper, lighter, same pictures. Easier to zone focus too, if that's your jam.

Of course, the best thing about all these old cameras is that - assuming you get a good one - they've pretty much lost all the value they're likely to loose. Unless film gets even harder to find or digital backs suddenly become way cheaper, they pretty much cost what they're going to cost. That gives you the opportunity to buy something, play around with it for six months, and sell it for somewhere around what you originally paid.

Sep 18 18 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Platinum Images 1

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I shoot both film (B&W....Process my self) and digital.    I seldom shoot color film anymore....although a few of the images in my profile are from color film and are labeled as such.   I removed many of the images I had post on my profile some years ago.....I'm dealing with some health issues and only shoot five or so times a year.

Sep 18 18 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Back then I was a commercial shooter so it was kinda standard.  I think I only had three lenses.  I never forget that Hassys are pretty sensitive cameras and sometimes stop working for no reason.  I've had a couple just stop for no reason.  I wasn't printing my pics.  I used to go to a lab in LA called A&I.  They printed for a bunch of the art galleries around town.  Most of the film I ran through my cameras was slide film.  4x5 slide film was soo expensive back then.  I think because I shot mostly for magazines, slide was the standard.  It would probably shock some people but I knew some photographers who shot medium format negative film for magazines instead of slide film.  I think it gave their pictures more of an amateur look.  I prefered shooting slide film on 35mm over medium format negative film for magazine submissions

I know it's just rambling trying to remember things from so long ago.

Sep 19 18 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

martin b wrote:

Back then I was a commercial shooter so it was kinda standard.  I think I only had three lenses.  I never forget that Hassys are pretty sensitive cameras and sometimes stop working for no reason.  I've had a couple just stop for no reason.  I wasn't printing my pics.  I used to go to a lab in LA called A&I.  They printed for a bunch of the art galleries around town.  Most of the film I ran through my cameras was slide film.  4x5 slide film was soo expensive back then.  I think because I shot mostly for magazines, slide was the standard.  It would probably shock some people but I knew some photographers who shot medium format negative film for magazines instead of slide film.  I think it gave their pictures more of an amateur look.  I prefered shooting slide film on 35mm over medium format negative film for magazine submissions

I know it's just rambling trying to remember things from so long ago.

Well, I never worked in the magazine business, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got submissions from many film sizes, that of course I'm including 35mm.  I'm sure you weren't the only one.....  In any sized submission.  Hopefully you got some published!

Sep 19 18 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

FUJI RDP for news
Kodachrome 64 for corporate
Tri-X for B&W

Sep 20 18 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

AgX wrote:
I never understand why people refer to the "good old film days" like they're talking about some long-lost era, ne'er to be seen again. As if, in their next breath, they'll reminisce about traveling by stagecoach to Topeka, or getting birthday wishes from their aunt via telegram. #filmisnotdead

This afternoon's shoot will be on 120 film (Portra 400 and Delta 400). Next week's shoot will be on film, likely mix in some LF HP5+. All my photography is analog. For many of us, the good old film days are right now.

When I say "Good old film days" I am taking about when it was available everywhere and you could have it developed within a couple of hours. Now, I can't find slide film in my area. I have to order it online and wait a few days for it to arrive. And, if I want to have it developed? I would have to ship it and wait a week? Specially slide film. You can't even print it.

So, yes. The good old film days are gone. It is not convenient anymore to shoot film.

Sep 20 18 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Voy wrote:

When I say "Good old film days" I am taking about when it was available everywhere and you could have it developed within a couple of hours. Now, I can't find slide film in my area. I have to order it online and wait a few days for it to arrive. And, if I want to have it developed? I would have to ship it and wait a week? Specially slide film. You can't even print it.

So, yes. The good old film days are gone. It is not convenient anymore to shoot film.

In the good old film days I dropped off my slide film at Kodak to be processed.

Sep 20 18 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Voy wrote:

It was still possible to print slide film using cibachrome paper, which was a specialty.  Today, there are labs emerging which can develop the slide film and produce high resolution scans ~5000dpi to give you the best of both worlds.  Now you can shoot your slide or print film and print/publish digitally from tiff's or jpg's.  You don't need to wait for the film to be returned - they send you a dropbox or FTP link while you're waiting for the slides.

Of course, you need to appreciate the look of film to tolerate the inconvenience of waiting a week to see the results.

Sep 20 18 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Voy wrote:

That's a gross generalization. I shoot and scan BW, and it's a hell of a lot more convenient than it used to be when I had to print in the darkroom.

Yeah, slide films are pretty much gone - at least at the professional level. Unless you live in a major metropolitan area with a large professional community, you're going to have trouble getting slide film developed at a quality level that justifies shooting slides. There are also only one or two choices for pro-level stocks, with most slide films being sold to goobers with Holgas, or who want to shoot a couple rolls just to do it.

That said, you're missing the bigger picture. On older technology, slides reproduced much better than negatives - which is why magazines all wanted slides. With today's technology, the denser, lower-contrast negative films will scan better on anything other than a drum scanner. Even an Imacon will produce better dynamic range with a dense negative, edited to restore contrast, than with a positive. I'm not even sure a drum scanner will make better scans of slides - I just think the DR is such that they aren't any worse than negatives. Of course film grain IS much finer with 50 iso slide than 160 iso negative ... but if you're shooting a large enough piece of film to justify a drum scan, then your grain is going to be miniscule anyway.

If you're coming from a place of nostalgia, and missing the way things were, I'm right there with you. I don't think there's anything more beautiful in photography than a perfectly exposed sheet of 8x10 Kodachrome. I've seen them mounted and displayed on light boxes in lieu of prints, and they are breathtaking.

But from a standpoint of the overall workflow - what gets you from A to B, and more importantly how the final image looks - today's negative films are just so much better than slide films. The worst thing I can say about Portra 400 - and the best - is that it's boring. No funky/cool colors, no cool/amateur looking underexposed haze ... It just takes the scene and puts it on the film as neutrally and faithfully as anything I've seen. From there, you can do whatever you like with it. It's not perfect, but color film stocks never are.

Sep 20 18 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Yeah, slide films are pretty much gone - at least at the professional level. Unless you live in a major metropolitan area with a large professional community, you're going to have trouble getting slide film developed at a quality level that justifies shooting slides. There are also only one or two choices for pro-level stocks, with most slide films being sold to goobers with Holgas, or who want to shoot a couple rolls just to do it.

I disagree.  When I shot my first sunset on color print film the lab sent me back a stack of brown blob prints rather than the gorgeous red and oranges I saw.  It was then I learned that all my color and exposure was at the mercy of a kid pressing buttons on a machine.  They always got it wrong.  They still get it wrong.  But, when I shoot slides there is nobody "correcting" my color and exposure for me.

Sep 20 18 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

hbutz New York wrote:

I disagree.  When I shot my first sunset on color print film the lab sent me back a stack of brown blob prints rather than the gorgeous red and oranges I saw.  It was then I learned that all my color and exposure was at the mercy of a kid pressing buttons on a machine.  They always got it wrong.  They still get it wrong.  But, when I shoot slides there is nobody "correcting" my color and exposure for me.

That's because nobody made prints for you. Just get your negatives developed and make your own prints - problem solved.

The fact that the "average" printer - even today, when photo degrees are rampant - isn't very good at their job has nothing to do with what a format is capable of.

As a side note, that print quality issue is a huge deal for me. I think printing is like driving, in that everybody thinks they're awesome, and the only way to show them otherwise is to get them in a car with someone who is actually awesome. I do think print quality has declined among the enthusiasts' ranks with digital, as printers have 'correct' settings, while the darkroom has none. This encourages digital printers to stop after one print, while darkroom printers tend to keep at it until they're sick of looking at the image.

But of course, guys like you and I know that whatever the device spits out isn't necessarily correct - it's just where you start  I average about a dozen prints before I finish an image - mostly on cheap 8x10, then a couple good 8x10, then a couple good 16x20.

Sep 20 18 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Color printing, in a minilab, took a certain eye and knowing your machine, process control, and also the willingness to redo anything that you thought could reprint better.  You would sit at a minilab and slide a negative through he gate. The lab had 5 buttons - center was the normal exposure, the two on wither side were 1 and 2 stops either side...but  if you pushed any one of the buttons, *something* would print.  You look at the negative in the illuminated gate, make a guess as to where it was from a density standpoint, and stab a button.  Maybe you were right, maybe not - and you would not know until  4 minutes later with RA-4 chemistry - but some form of the image would end up in a print, and in the mini lab world, good enough was often good enough.

I was a lab operator for a while, my ex-wife was also a lab operator and later a darkroom tech and custom printer.  For serious photographers like the local wedding photographer, she would be requested by name - she was very good at it, much better than I ever was.  Having a good technician/lab doing your printing makes all the difference. I worked in a Mini-lab in a strip mall that did prints cheaper than the big drugstore next door and we did decent work...but I'b be lying if I said that print quality was more important than volume at that shop.

Sep 20 18 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Studio NSFW wrote:

I was the opposite.  I worked professionally as a commercial photographer in LA since the mid 80s but didn't learn to print.  I used a lab called A&I and they had a custom b/w lab.  It was the best education ever.  They would make a straight print at 8x10 then give me lots of suggestions how to improve the print.  They would take the time to show me on my negatives what they wanted to do to my print.  I know I took up tons of their time and they were incredibly patient with me.  They would eventually turn out these really beautiful gallery quality large prints in b/w.  I would hang them on my wall and most people I guess assumed I was a great printer.  BTW, I think there was just a style that came out from LA and also from NY about b/w prints from the 80's and 90's. 

As a side.   I also loved those great Cibachrome prints with big punchy colors.  I still sell prints but it's really hard to convince people to purchase prints for their walls.  I now shoot mostly weddings and events.  Even to sell prints of people at events taking pictures with the president or former president is hard to sell.  Everyone just wants a digital copy.

Sep 20 18 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

In the good old film days Kodak processed my nude slides without a problem.   smile

Sep 20 18 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Yeah, printing is pretty personal. I've always been a pretty flat, 'it is what it is' printer, even back before I was any good. Maybe a touch of blue/cyan here and there. Getting better hasn't really changed my preferences, so much as made me better at recognizing and accomplishing them.

I ran a lab for a short time - maybe a year? Two? We were transitioning to an all-digital system, and at the time I was the only one with a lot of experience in that, so I got bumped up to head dude right quick, and they moved me back to sales once others caught up. At that time, I was easily our most capable printer, but others below me would much more frequently be requested by name. I didn't take it personally - they printed in a way that the customer preferred, and we all knew that even if I did give the customer something more 'correct', they wouldn't be as happy with it.

But during that time I got probably the best compliment I'll ever receive about my commercial work. There was a guy that made these bright, punchy, (I thought) garish prints for fairs - and they sold, because that work does well there. His regular was off that day, and he needed a replacement print ASAP because his framer wrecked the first one, so it fell to me - the guy that's way on the opposite end of the spectrum.

He absolutely loved it, and told me how great it was to find a printer that likes what he likes, and thinks the way he does. From that point on, I was his guy.

I must've had that shit-eating grin all day.

Sep 21 18 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Ansel Adams, who, of course was a concert pianist, equated the Negative to a musical score, and the print to the performance.

I always liked that analogy.

Sep 21 18 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

While I'm not a fan of Adams' photography, he is without a doubt one of the best voices to listen to when it comes to understanding the craft. Most of his advice can even be applied to today's digital age as well, though it does require starting out with a pretty solid understanding to see how those things relate.

Interesting that most of the best, most educated and educational voices (Adams, Szarkowski, Collins, Sontag, Shore) predate both digital capture and inkjet printers, yet they're more informative than most anybody around today. It just goes to show that photography is about pictures, and a good photographer can make good pictures with anything. The best photographers aren't the ones with the best gear or the most knowledge - in fact I'd go so far as to say you hit a certain point where you become so knowledgeable that you have to consciously avoid turning every image into an exercise in technique. The best photographers are the ones that understand their limits, and work in a way that minimizes or avoids them. If all you can afford is a camera with terrible dynamic range, just take photos on overcast days - problem solved!

Or as my father puts it, "if you can't play a good game of tennis wearing cheap shoes, then you can't play a good game of tennis."

Sep 21 18 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Ansel Adams took a lot of pictures of rocks.  Enuf said.  But, he would take meter readings of the shadows and highlights, set not just the proper exposure but the proper contrast for the sheet film, then hand develop each sheet of film for that exposure range - before printing, he was adjusting the chemistry of the development of each negative of each shot he took.

I was always tempted to use a lab for my B&W printing but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  When I looked at a B&W print in a gallery I could usually tell if the artist printed it or if a third-party lab printed it.  Lab prints were "too perfect."  The blacks were rich and the highlights showed details.  But, it didn't "say" anything to me.  An artist might let the print go a bit grey or let highlights wash out a bit because it added to the expression.

Even on the bevel cut mats, I would examine the cleanness of the cuts and look into the corners of the mat to see if the artist cut his own mat or if it was done by a machine.  Sometimes it would surprise me when I could see the artist's razor blade marks in the groves of the cardboard which told me he didn't even use a "mat cutter" - just a handheld razor.

Sep 24 18 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

hbutz New York wrote:

As a very low-income single mother, I'm grateful for digital as I would never have been able to pursue any of it (whether it's photography or digital imaging) if digital cameras had never come along.  Digital imaging brought me a lot of joy for a while.  I would never have been able to afford film, or find the time to process film images.  Just one worthless opinion.  Sorry, carry on...

Sep 24 18 08:39 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Eugenya Donald Images wrote:
Just one worthless opinion.  Sorry, carry on...

No such thing as a worthless opinion wink  I've got just as many digital cameras as I do film cameras.

Film development wasn't all that expensive for me.  My Pentax consumer grade camera cost the same as one single Nikon EN-EL15 battery, which itself ran on $2 batteries.  Bulk loaded film cost me under $2/roll and I printed for about a buck.  I shot less but I chose my shots more carefully.

My beef is that the market has abandoned film photographers.  Today, Kodak has announced that Ektachrome is once again available in 35mm format for the general public via Twitter.  It has just come out of beta testing.  But, there are no 35mm SLR's currently in production to shoot with it.

When I googled, "SLR", google asked me, "Did you mean DSLR?"  No, g'damn it.  I meant to search for SLR.

From my point of view, it's as if all outdoor BBQ charcoal grills ceased production with the invention of the microwave oven.  Who wants to stand over those hot coals for hours when you can prepare an entire meal in minutes with the new microwave oven?  uh... I do!

#EktachromeIsBack

Sep 25 18 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

If Kodak is now producing Ektachrome, and Fuji never stopped producing Fujichrome at all, that Shirley means that someone did enough research to indicate that there is a market and a potential to grow it.  E6 process is simple compared to K-14 so I do not know if this bodes well at all for the return of Kodachrome, but I’d say it is good news to film buffs.

In my opinion, the one thing that transparency film will teach you is how to absolutely nail exposure and light ratios as it is extremely unforgiving for proper exposure...1/3 stop latitude and no way to fix it after (back then anyway)...now I guess you’d scan it and diddle a slider in Faux Toe Chop...but information lost due to incorrect exposure cannot be added by a slider.

But, so far as thhe dearth of new film cameras....I think there are enough cameras to fulfill the market demand for a long time, mostly sitting on dusty camera store shelves or in fake leather camera bags in closets (mostly with those “Hippie” embroidered straps still attached)

The camera body is just a light light box, so the lens matters more.  Manufacturers started adding features, starting with match needle light meters and on through various automated exposure modes to differentiate and open the platform up to novices. . Minolta stunned the world with AutoFocus, and it was a year before anyone caught up. TTL metering and later TTL flash metering got to be a thing...then better shutters, and better sync speeds than the 1/60 possible with a horizontal cloth curtain shutter.  Some widgets came and went...Nikon tried a interchangeable pentaprism on the venerable F, but it was bulky and didn’t catch on.  The feature set on the latest pro film 35mm was pretty rich.  As an Olympus guy, I savored the built in spot meter of my OM-4, which also could be very quickly used not to just measure standard 18% reflectivity, but also 4% and 90%, so you could place the values correctly for that white “rabbit in a snowbank” or “black cat on a coal pile” image (so far as “Black cat in a snow bank...” with transparency film meter for the highlights, process for the shadows, of course).  It didn’t autofocus, but it had a great finder and didn’t need to. I would not add autofocus to it if it were even possible.

All this is leading up to a question...if some major manufacturer decided to update the 35mm SLR, what features would you add to support modern workflow? I read that the last Nikon film camera could dump exposure data onto a SD card...which sounds like a really neat idea.  Besides that, what else? What could a manufacturer create today that would make a 2019 Film SLR more attractive than your favorite platform from the 1980s SLR boom?

Sep 25 18 07:08 am Link

Photographer

JOSEPH ROLF

North Miami, Florida, US

Agfa Precisa CT 100 35mm (the old stuff) Slide Film that when cross-processed would make blue sky so vibrant and punchy, the film wouldnt dramatically change any of the colors like Fuji Velvia or films like that, Agfa my favorite.

A close second are Kodak EBX and Elkachrome, also slide film , also looks great when cross processed.

A runner up would be Fuji 64T, another slide film that had this great Green vs Red contrast.

Ok getting nostalgic.

Great post

Thanks

Sep 25 18 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

hbutz New York wrote:

No such thing as a worthless opinion wink  I've got just as many digital cameras as I do film cameras.

Film development wasn't all that expensive for me.  My Pentax consumer grade camera cost the same as one single Nikon EN-EL15 battery, which itself ran on $2 batteries.  Bulk loaded film cost me under $2/roll and I printed for about a buck.  I shot less but I chose my shots more carefully.

I appreciate your response  :-)

My first camera was a Nikon D60, back in 2012, and that was way too expensive for me.  It was totally worth having some debt for though, as I got so much joy from it.  About two and a half years after that I traded it in (and paid some more that I technically couldn't afford) for a Nikon D90, which I still have.  My ex-boyfriend was kind enough to upload Lightroom right onto my laptop for me, which I had a ton of fun with.  Every little bit helps.

Sep 25 18 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

hbutz New York wrote:

My beef is that the market has abandoned film photographers.  Today, Kodak has announced that Ektachrome is once again available in 35mm format for the general public via Twitter.  It has just come out of beta testing.  But, there are no 35mm SLR's currently in production to shoot with it.

When I googled, "SLR", google asked me, "Did you mean DSLR?"  No, g'damn it.  I meant to search for SLR.

From my point of view, it's as if all outdoor BBQ charcoal grills ceased production with the invention of the microwave oven.  Who wants to stand over those hot coals for hours when you can prepare an entire meal in minutes with the new microwave oven?  uh... I do!

#EktachromeIsBack

I fail to understand your obsession with the lack of new 35mm cameras. At least so long as the old ones are still getting worked on.

Are YOU looking to buy one? If you were, would YOU pay new camera prices over used?

If not, then what do you care? It sounds a lot like the guy that complains that his old camera is suddenly crap when a new one comes out.

Sep 26 18 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
I fail to understand your obsession with the lack of new 35mm cameras. At least so long as the old ones are still getting worked on.

Here is the complete list of service centers for Pentax 35mm film cameras:

1) Eric.

/end of list

Zack Zoll wrote:
Are YOU looking to buy one? If you were, would YOU pay new camera prices over used?

I'm buying an average of 1 35mm film camera per month for the past 4 months, yes.  Would I pay Nikon $3,000 for a film camera?  no.

Zack Zoll wrote:
If not, then what do you care? It sounds a lot like the guy that complains that his old camera is suddenly crap when a new one comes out.

Yup, every time my tax refund check arrives I say to myself, "Man, my old camera equipment is crap." smile  Doesn't everyone?

Sep 27 18 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

So you have a guy that works on your old cameras, you have no problems buying old cameras, and you're not interested in buying new.

So why do you care that nobody makes new ones? To be honest, guys like you are exactly why they DON'T make new ones. And myself as well, while we're at it.

I'm shocked LF field cameras are still in production. Other than one rich guy that bought an 8x10 Ebony (which he hardly uses) , I literally don't know anyone that bought a new field camera since the 90s.

Sep 27 18 01:59 pm Link