Forums > Model Colloquy > Posing with horses

Photographer

steve simmons

Saint Anthony, Idaho, US

I like to work with models and horses but sometimes have a problem finding models.

Would you have a problem posing with a horse, either on it or next to it?

Thanks

Steve Simmons

Oct 29 18 01:00 pm Link

Model

Santa Claus

Seattle, Washington, US

jingle all the way...

Oct 29 18 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Be very careful when shooting with horses . . . .  They have Huge Teeth and Bite !

On a shoot for Penthouse, we had the model posing next to a beautiful horse when all of a sudden out of nowhere the horse turned it's head, lunged toward the models breasts, opened it's mouth wide and bit down on the nearest breast hard enough to leave bruises that lasted a week. Needless to say, our model was traumatized and the shoot ended.

Horses don't always go where you want, or turn to the camera when you'd like them to.

Also, having your model pose nude on a bareback horse can result in a nasty rash from horse sweat

Best idea is to find a model that has her own horse . . . at least they will be comfortable with each other.

Oct 29 18 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130216/10/511fcc68868d0.jpg

I don't see a problem finding models who will pose with horses.

Oct 29 18 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Murphy Photography

Bangor, Maine, US

Make sure the horse you work with is comfortable with flashes, tripods, and anything flashy/bright or flaps. A startled horse can end a shoot badly for all involved. hmm

Oct 29 18 08:28 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

The personality of horses are as varied as the personalities of people.  I had access to one shortly after undergrad that I would ride bareback.  She would charge the fence, put her head down and try to make me slide off onto the other side of the fence.  Once with my horse, I put this adorable young woman on, because my cousin, who owned the other horse we were using, didn't want a stranger riding her horse.  But my horse was unpredictable and loved to run, especially heading home and I got to see my friend launch five feet vertically off the saddle because of a slow car and a nose touch from the one I was riding. (Not sure if we had another date after that.)  No one but me should have ever rode my horse after that space shot! But I put my kid on her, as a much older horse, and she took off with him.  In another instance, I was on my horse and going over a diagonal jump, not very tall, in the woods, when a deer spooked from besides us.  I landed in front of the horse, right where she was going to land coming over the jump.  I could see it in her eyes as she sidestepped me.  She never seemed to mind stepping on my feet any other times, but I would have been lucky to survive had she not changed her foot position as she came down. 

There are tricks and methods that are used around horses, like walking close to the rear end instead of few feet away, where flying hooves can really get you.  Where you put your hand on the horse (head shy?) and maintaining contact as you move around. The horse blowing up their stomach when you tighten the girth. What you are doing with your feet and hands while on the horse.  Way to many people try to stop the horse by pulling back and up on the reins, which is not telling the horse to stop, it is telling it to rear up.  Pressing your heels in to hold on is telling it to go faster.  Loosing you balance and kicking it even a little bit is telling it to turn away from the kicking foot.  That sudden turn when you are already off balance is enough to throw you off.  Of course the horse is blamed for the rider's mistake. 

A girl I knew was killed when her horse tripped on a table top jump and rolled over her.  Another woman I see at dances, who is a skilled equestrian, had disappeared for a while.  Turns out her horse had broken my dance friend's leg, and she stopped riding altogether.

Horses are beautiful, but powerful and dangerous- potentially.  I understand you aren't going to have the model doing fancy stuff with a horse.  There will be no jumps, or galloping, I hope.  A couple of summers ago, I borrowed a horse that I had ridden years ago, from a friend to do a shoot.  He was freakin out.  I assume it was because my friend was nowhere to be seen, and who the #*@$% are these people.  I got on him and barely controlled him.  No way was I putting the model on him,  We took a few shots with her holding the reins while standing nearby.  It was not worth the effort.  The best pictures I have of girls and horses are either shot at equestrian events or the horse is on one side of a fence and the model is on the other side.

I agree with Ken.  It is a different story if the person you are working with is using their own horse.  Even then: lights, shutters, reflectors, and any innocuous thing to us, that the horse is not familiar with, could cause unpredictable and dangerous behavior.

Maybe you have horses.  Maybe you are good with them.  Since you are lamenting that you can't find a model, maybe the horse is out back of your place.  You don't say either way or provide any information about the horse(s) for the shoot. I am as much writing this for the other readers, maybe more so, than for the OP.  Familiarity breeds contempt and what we would not even think about and handle in the blink of an eye with our own horses, may be a dangerous problem for a person unfamiliar with horses or that horse.

Oct 29 18 08:37 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Be very careful when shooting with horses . . . .  They have Huge Teeth and Bite !

On a shoot for Penthouse, we had the model posing next to a beautiful horse when all of a sudden out of nowhere the horse turned it's head, lunged toward the models breasts, opened it's mouth wide and bit down on the nearest breast hard enough to leave bruises that lasted a week. Needless to say, our model was traumatized and the shoot ended.

Horses don't always go where you want, or turn to the camera when you'd like them to.

Also, having your model pose nude on a bareback horse can result in a nasty rash from horse sweat

Best idea is to find a model that has her own horse . . . at least they will be comfortable with each other.

Yes, yes and yes. Signed, have my own horse and her attitude is huge!!

Oct 29 18 09:15 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
The personality of horses are as varied as the personalities of people.  I had access to one shortly after undergrad that I would ride bareback.  She would charge the fence, put her head down and try to make me slide off onto the other side of the fence.  Once with my horse, I put this adorable young woman on, because my cousin, who owned the other horse we were using, didn't want a stranger riding her horse.  But my horse was unpredictable and loved to run, especially heading home and I got to see my friend launch five feet vertically off the saddle because of a slow car and a nose touch from the one I was riding. (Not sure if we had another date after that.)  No one but me should have ever rode my horse after that space shot! But I put my kid on her, as a much older horse, and she took off with him.  In another instance, I was on my horse and going over a diagonal jump, not very tall, in the woods, when a deer spooked from besides us.  I landed in front of the horse, right where she was going to land coming over the jump.  I could see it in her eyes as she sidestepped me.  She never seemed to mind stepping on my feet any other times, but I would have been lucky to survive had she not changed her foot position as she came down. 

There are tricks and methods that are used around horses, like walking close to the rear end instead of few feet away, where flying hooves can really get you.  Where you put your hand on the horse (head shy?) and maintaining contact as you move around. The horse blowing up their stomach when you tighten the girth. What you are doing with your feet and hands while on the horse.  Way to many people try to stop the horse by pulling back and up on the reins, which is not telling the horse to stop, it is telling it to rear up.  Pressing your heels in to hold on is telling it to go faster.  Loosing you balance and kicking it even a little bit is telling it to turn away from the kicking foot.  That sudden turn when you are already off balance is enough to throw you off.  Of course the horse is blamed for the rider's mistake. 

A girl I knew was killed when her horse tripped on a table top jump and rolled over her.  Another woman I see at dances, who is a skilled equestrian, had disappeared for a while.  Turns out her horse had broken my dance friend's leg, and she stopped riding altogether.

Horses are beautiful, but powerful and dangerous- potentially.  I understand you aren't going to have the model doing fancy stuff with a horse.  There will be no jumps, or galloping, I hope.  A couple of summers ago, I borrowed a horse that I had ridden years ago, from a friend to do a shoot.  He was freakin out.  I assume it was because my friend was nowhere to be seen, and who the #*@$% are these people.  I got on him and barely controlled him.  No way was I putting the model on him,  We took a few shots with her holding the reins while standing nearby.  It was not worth the effort.  The best pictures I have of girls and horses are either shot at equestrian events or the horse is on one side of a fence and the model is on the other side.

I agree with Ken.  It is a different story if the person you are working with is using their own horse.  Even then: lights, shutters, reflectors, and any innocuous thing to us, that the horse is not familiar with, could cause unpredictable and dangerous behavior.

Maybe you have horses.  Maybe you are good with them.  Since you are lamenting that you can't find a model, maybe the horse is out back of your place.  You don't say either way or provide any information about the horse(s) for the shoot. I am as much writing this for the other readers, maybe more so, than for the OP.  Familiarity breeds contempt and what we would not even think about and handle in the blink of an eye with our own horses, may be a dangerous problem for a person unfamiliar with horses or that horse.

Agree with much here.

Having a non horse person on a strange horse is just stupid.

My own mare took.a spook in an arena just 7 months ago and bucked me off. When I landed I managed to break my ankle. I am still unable to model the way I used too. I really needed this ankle for stability and... Just like that, a 900lb animal spooked and in a second it was over.
Jen
P.s. my avatar was the first shoot since and thankfully the photographer was patient about my disability!

Oct 29 18 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
Agree with much here.

Having a non horse person on a strange horse is just stupid.

My own mare took.a spook in an arena just 7 months ago and bucked me off. When I landed I managed to break my ankle. I am still unable to model the way I used too. I really needed this ankle for stability and... Just like that, a 900lb animal spooked and in a second it was over.
Jen
P.s. my avatar was the first shoot since and thankfully the photographer was patient about my disability!

I hope that your ankle gets better soon Jen!   smile

Oct 30 18 03:39 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's definitely not something I'll do in just any situation with just any photographer or just any horse.

I rode a little bit when I was a kid, steel-toes and a helmet were required regardless of how experienced the riders were, it takes absolutely nothing to get stepped on and break your foot or get thrown. Most people don't want to shoot a model in a pair of work boots and a helmet though. As mentioned the bites are also a risk, they're extremely painful and can cause a lot of damage, and horses dont care what part of you theyre biting.

I've been put on a horse that wanted nothing to do with me, wouldnt hold still, fought me every step of the way and eventually I had to just call the shoot and get off because I felt like I was about to get thrown if I tried to exert any more control over it. It was a horrible fucking idea to put me on it in the first place, especially out in the middle of nowhere with no first-aid, etc. To top it off I had the photographer mad that he wasnt getting the shots he wanted as I struggled to control an animal that didnt want me on it while worrying that it was about to take off on me or buck me. A possible serious injury like that is really not worth it for some pictures.

If they have their own horses/are super experienced with horses and fully understand the risks, sure, but I wouldnt just try to use animals like that as props with people who dont know what theyre doing

Oct 30 18 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

steve simmons

Saint Anthony, Idaho, US

I have my own horses and have used them for all the shots on my page.

No bites, no bucks, and no rashes.

But I do have trouble finding models with horse experience.

Steve Simmons

Oct 30 18 03:03 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

steve simmons wrote:
I have my own horses and have used them for all the shots on my page.

No bites, no bucks, and no rashes.

But I do have trouble finding models with horse experience.

Steve Simmons

*cough*

Hi there.
I used to own a horse, have been riding for over 25 years and have gotten blindly on completely strange animals (the water shy one by the beach was fucking fun! And yes, it was not the safest thing to do at the time, but  so is flying Southwest and I still do that).
I have been kicked, bitten, thrown off, brushed off, squashed, you name it. They're animals, shit will happen.
I would rather fall off a pony any day than step on that nasty ass rattle snake that could have been the end of me last year in Utah.

Holla at me if you like my stuff, I'm gagging for a road trip!

Nov 01 18 07:49 am Link

Photographer

steve simmons

Saint Anthony, Idaho, US

Having owned horses for 17 years I should know better than to brag?  wink

Road trip to the Southwest?

Nov 01 18 08:05 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

steve simmons wrote:
Having owned horses for 17 years I should know better than to brag?  wink

Road trip to the Southwest?

Don't see why not

Nov 02 18 03:57 am Link

Photographer

steve simmons

Saint Anthony, Idaho, US

Nov 02 18 08:34 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I hope that your ankle gets better soon Jen!   smile

Thank you!!
Another horse rearered verticle with me in July when I worked at a cattle ranch and everyone said no one could have sat that however I broke a sacral vertebra and I'm recovering from that and do not want to give up.

Nov 03 18 09:13 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
It's definitely not something I'll do in just any situation with just any photographer or just any horse.

I rode a little bit when I was a kid, steel-toes and a helmet were required regardless of how experienced the riders were, it takes absolutely nothing to get stepped on and break your foot or get thrown. Most people don't want to shoot a model in a pair of work boots and a helmet though. As mentioned the bites are also a risk, they're extremely painful and can cause a lot of damage, and horses dont care what part of you theyre biting.

I've been put on a horse that wanted nothing to do with me, wouldnt hold still, fought me every step of the way and eventually I had to just call the shoot and get off because I felt like I was about to get thrown if I tried to exert any more control over it. It was a horrible fucking idea to put me on it in the first place, especially out in the middle of nowhere with no first-aid, etc. To top it off I had the photographer mad that he wasnt getting the shots he wanted as I struggled to control an animal that didnt want me on it while worrying that it was about to take off on me or buck me. A possible serious injury like that is really not worth it for some pictures.

If they have their own horses/are super experienced with horses and fully understand the risks, sure, but I wouldnt just try to use animals like that as props with people who dont know what theyre doing

Heck yes, tell it Laura glad you were safe!

Nov 03 18 09:18 pm Link

Model

Liung

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

As others have noted, it’s much more about the horse than the model, provided you aren’t actually going anywhere. You want a shoot where the model is just next to the horse, without going anywhere, as long as the model is briefed on basic safety like “don’t walk behind the horse without warning them you’re there” and “watch out for the hooves”, it’s entirely the horse that’s the concern. Flowing fabric, a canera’s flash, scary equipment... I rode a pony once that spooked himself by farting. Some horses are absolutely petrified of blowing leaves. Obviously these should be only worked with by people who are wearing full safety gear and know what they’re doing.

But it is possible to “bombproof” a horse, and my sister’s horse regularly wore elaborate costumes without doing much more than heaving a sigh of resignation to his fate. Not just any horse could handle the fluttery, shiny, sequin fabric of a dragon costume that covered his face, but he was just sad he couldn’t eat the grass.

I also know several people in my area who train horses for commercial cinema and film work, as well as public events and publicity. These are the people you want to find, those horses are not only completely used to such things as cameras and film equipment, and rock steady calm, they also are specially trained to perform on command. You want that dream shot of someone on a magestically rearing black stallion? They gotcha.

I had an experience riding one of those horses, and because I was an experienced rider the handler walked me through some of the basic commands, such as rearing, which was very cool. Rearing is an extremely dangerous behaviour in a typical riding horse, but being able to do it on command is practically required for a film horse.

To have a person ON a horse, that’s where you get liability and safety issues. A reputable stable won’t even let the owner of a horse get on that horse while on their property without signing a waiver first. For sure, vetting the model for familiarity is important.

Personally, as I have a lot of experience to the point of training green horses, I would be comfortable getting on a horse I’ve never met before, provided I was wearing a helmet and riding clothes. In fact, the picture of me in my portfolio on the dapple grey horse was me in a showring, having done exactly one practice ride beforehand. I like to think I’m pretty good and quickly figuring out how to handle various horses.

But if you wanted me to get on without a helmet? Without a saddle, without boots? Without proper riding clothes? I will first want to absolutely interrogate the horse’s owner  first to know about any and all quirks they have, make sure they’re not at all skittish, have at least one normal ride before hand to get acquainted, and then before any pictures ride or lunge the horse for an hour beforehand to tire them out and get rid of excess energy and friskiness...

And lots and lots of paperwork about safety and liability. Possibly equestrian insurance as well. During the years that I was training horses for other people and regularly riding strange horses, I made absolutely sure to have equestrian insurance so I would be covered for any accidents.

Nov 17 18 03:54 pm Link

Model

Samantha Ryder

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I will save space and not repeat what has been said before. I agree about the risks and concerns when working with unfamiliar people and horses (especially in combination).

Beyond the suggestions other models have made, you could try contacting professional riders instead of professional models--sorry models. This is especially true if you want something beyond a person standing with a horse or sitting on a horse standing still. If you have a local vaulting club, they might be a good place to start. They usually have access to calm horses, and they are used to doing gymnastics on horseback with no protective equipment. Now, this is probably out of the question if you want nudes. One other option could be hiring a horse professional as an assistant. With an inexperienced model, I would feel more comfortable putting them on a horse if I had someone at the horse's head between shots.

This part absolutely does not apply for the vast majority of people, as you can see from this chain. If the shoot doesn't involve extensive riding without a helmet, riding without bottoms of some sort, or standing barefoot next to a horse, I'd probably agree to do the shoot. Of course, this is contingent on having information about the horse's training, and the owner's expectations. All of this is only because I have spent more than a decade riding and handling difficult horses. Let me reiterate, I'm aware of the risks of dealing with unfamiliar horses, especially in strange situations. The key is not being reckless, which is dependent on your personal judgement and experience.

Nov 17 18 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Liung wrote:
But it is possible to “bombproof” a horse, and my sister’s horse regularly wore elaborate costumes without doing much more than heaving a sigh of resignation to his fate.

lol

https://i.etsystatic.com/10218701/r/il/9e45ba/1356205401/il_fullxfull.1356205401_kjl5.jpg

Nov 19 18 06:05 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I am afraid of horses.

Dec 11 18 08:35 am Link