Forums > General Industry > How much do you usually pay for assistant per day?

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

How much money do you usually pay for

1. Photo assistant?
2. Photo assistant with professional software experiences?
3. Both Photo and Video?
4. Both Photo and Video with professional software?

Professional software include Capture One Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe CC, and more.

Nov 08 18 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Benjamin4784 wrote:

1. Photo assistant?
3. Both Photo and Video?

Professional software include Capture One Pro, Final Cut Pro, Adobe CC, and more.

If you want a pro pro, it'll be $500 minimum for 8 or10 hours. They should bring their laptop with necessary software. You should just bring the hard drive.

Nov 08 18 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

If you want a pro pro, it'll be $500 minimum for 8 or10 hours. They should bring their laptop with necessary software. You should just bring the hard drive.

Any thought about saving all files on google drive or dropbox while I work or should I still need an external hard drive or SSD?>

Nov 08 18 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Does the location have realizable high speed internets?

I’d always have a hard drive...and probably my own laptop with me...and spare batteries, etc

On location, things always go wrong.  Depend on that...and don’t depend on anything else exclusively.

Nov 08 18 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

Studio NSFW wrote:
Does the location have realizable high speed internets?

I’d always have a hard drive...and probably my own laptop with me...and spare batteries, etc

On location, things always go wrong.  Depend on that...and don’t depend on anything else exclusively.

I see. I use Capture One Pro session but I had a problem with it due to a software issue. I wonder if I can back up my session without copy and paste instead of backing up in real time.

Nov 08 18 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

First assistant:       $350.00 per day
Second assistant:  $250.00
Digital Tech:           $450.00. though I only use one of the really large ad projects.

Nov 09 18 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I would say it depends on the parameters of the job.  What are the weather conditions and where are we shooting, what are we shooting and are there any special considerations I need to ensure are covered.  There's a bit of a difference in a simple wedding at an established venue and a commercial shoot at a remote location in what I pay assistants.  My belief is every job is different and each payout for an assistant will vary depending on the differences, just as pricing for my services differ depending on the job's requirements.

It was mentioned about the assistant bringing their laptop and the photographer bringing the external hard drive.  In theory, great workflow.  In reality, most assistants won't have the necessary hardware I require for the job, though many will claim to beforehand and it's just too easy to get a virus from someone else's computer, trashing the hard drive.  I'd rather find the right assistant with the skill sets I need and provide the hardware.  As most post shoot processing is done after the shoot, this normally isn't an issue anyway. 

Treat people well, pay fairly and promptly and you'll never have an issue getting help.  Pay an assistant immediately and never make them wait until you get paid.  People will line up to work with you.  Photography students are a great resource because they're trying to learn and normally can use the money.

Nov 09 18 05:49 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

The $500 day rate sounds about right. Back in the 80s I was offered $350 just to carry sand bags to hold down reflectors and such. Assistants were vetted in advance.  .

I'd make that 2 hard drives. Murphy's law..

Nov 09 18 07:01 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

For the range you are asking for in Manila it is $60-$180 for a day usually 10 hour.  I've been working in Sydney and hired a couple of great guys that had some equipment and decent skill for about $300 american dollars a day.  I think most software in Asia is still pirated so there are tons of guys who can operate software decently.  This includes basic tethering and simple photo/video editing.  There used to be a higher skill level with software in the USA but now I think I can find good assistants that can handle the computer work pretty well almost anywhere.

I usually provide all my own hardware.  The Philippines is still a poor country and few people have updated computers.  In other parts of Asia I found most people have their own laptops fast enough to handle the software.

Nov 12 18 09:14 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Benjamin4784 wrote:

1. Photo assistant?
3. Both Photo and Video?

This sounds like two different roles, a photo assistant and a digital tech. Rates depend on the job specifics and skill requirements, but typically range anywhere from $250-1000 per day for each role.

SYNC is a really good equipment rental house in LA that also provide assistants. This page will give you an idea on rates from basic to advanced skill levels.
http://syncphotorental.com/key-assistants/

Nov 12 18 10:23 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I think things work different also here in Philippines.  Most of my employees train at all aspects of photography/videography.  I even have basic makeup classes for the photographers.  We tend to shoot in teams and I want everyone to at least have a basic understanding of all the jobs.  I don't know if it's the same way in the USA or other countries. Labor unfortunately is pretty cheap here in Asia.

Nov 12 18 11:57 pm Link