Forums > General Industry > Difference between Pro(s) and Amateur(s)?

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

My question:
What's the difference between a good professional photographer and an equally good amateur photographer?

My thoughts:
- An amateur photographer gets to choose whatever, whenever and whoever they wish to photograph, without the worry of having to please anyone other than themselves.
- Whereas it's the opposite for a professional photographer, who has to photograph whatever, whenever and whoever a customer or client wants or needs, with the added worry of having to please others in order to make a successful livelihood.

Your Answer:

Nov 20 18 04:11 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One continuously gets paid and the other doesn't.

Nov 20 18 04:42 am Link

Photographer

B R Bardun

Orange, California, US

I completely agree with the above statement. If you earn the majority of your income through photography, that would make you a professional. Whether you're great or awful, doesn't matter. This can be said for most of the arts. Look how many horrible actors there are in Hollywood, yet they are still professionals. tongue

Nov 20 18 06:25 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

You are both right.

I have long contemplated going pro. Money is good. But there's the business development time where you aren't sustainable and there's the aspect of shooting subjects you just aren't interested in. I LOVE shooting people, but the thought of shooting a couple consigning themselves to misery --"tying the knot"-- well, probably better to shoot real estate or products. I guess the other thing is I have been able to support myself through relatively more normal, "regular" work most of my career.... It would be tough to plunge into something even less certain.

Nov 20 18 06:25 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:
My question:
What's the difference between a good professional photographer and an equally good amateur photographer?

My thoughts:
- An amateur photographer gets to choose whatever, whenever and whoever they wish to photograph, without the worry of having to please anyone other than themselves.
- Whereas it's the opposite for a professional photographer, who has to photograph whatever, whenever and whoever a customer or client wants or needs, with the added worry of having to please others in order to make a successful livelihood.

Your Answer:

I think that you've made a really, really good point!

I want to add that even tho you have to satisfy the client/customer, sometimes, or almost always as in my case, you are being hired for your creativity and style, which then helps you to solve your clients problem or enhance their vision.

I have to say, on occasion, by far not often enough, when I can shoot a personal project... I feel such a liberation that I don't have to answer anybody but myself and you have only to deal with your own creative pressure... not the one that comes from a professional shoot.

Nov 20 18 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

There is good and bad in both. The professional photographer can justify subsidizing their equipment "jones" to a certain extent since they are tools of the trade. They've also learned that the essentials are essential and that most gear is not essential, something amateurs may struggle with at times.

Being incentivized to tackle work that an amateur may avoid leads to a broadening and refinement of the photographer's skill set that an amateur may acquire more slowly if at all. Here is an example - up here in tiny Bellingham your three main opportunities to be paid are weddings, senior portraits and real estate. Let's take real estate although both the others will teach valuable skills. When you are shooting a model in an interior setting it is not always a studio, sometimes you may gain access to a special location worthy of standing on it's own. The experienced real estate photographer can quickly make the best of that situation as well as lighting the model, the amateur may lack experience in lighting interiors and drop the ball on the overall look of the image.

Weddings and seniors will teach male/female posing, just for one.

In another context, I played guitar in a Top 40 Country band during the Garth Brooks/Wynonna era - for me a horrendous time for that wonderful genre. It was work, I was paid, I put my head down and did it. I came out the other side a better musician, I use things today I learned back then. Somebody who only plays what they want to play may never learn those things.

Nov 20 18 09:52 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

According to a recent post I read in the photography forum, the difference is whether or not one carries a backpack or a Domke-type shoulder bag.

*facepalm*

Nov 20 18 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
According to a recent post I read in the photography forum, the difference is whether or not one carries a backpack or a Domke-type shoulder bag.

*facepalm*

LOL!!!

You left out the part about professionals shooting Polaroid passport photos at Kinko's.
I was really good at it!!! First shot, done.
Except this one time when a very beautiful young lady thought we were supposed to make her passport photo look good.
6 shots, all the same. Plus she was engaged to be married. So I asked if she had any sisters, that's professionamul, right?

Nov 20 18 10:57 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

LOL!!!

You left out the part about professionals shooting Polaroid passport photos at Kinko's.
I was really good at it!!! First shot, done.
Except this one time when a very beautiful young lady thought we were supposed to make her passport photo look good.
6 shots, all the same. Plus she was engaged to be married. So I asked if she had any sisters, that's professionamul, right?

The mostest professhunul.

Le' artiste'  !!!11!!!!1!!!

Nov 20 18 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I don't care how much money you make every year shooting photos; if you suck at photography, yet are still earning an income from it, then it's just a job.  Calling an awful photographer a "professional" is like calling the fry cook at McDonald's a 5-Michelin-Star Chef.

Nov 20 18 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:

I am sure from the outside that the impression you have written seems logical. I have seen the same or similar expressed by many in the past. I also realize that likely nothing or very little I say will inform your opinion, but I'll give it a go anyway.

This sentiment has little or no bearing on how I have worked in the industry for 25+ years now. It is uninformed and quite frankly ignorant. Your statement taken as a whole suggest that a professional photographer has no guidance over their own photography or career. This is simply mistake.  While there might be some or many who willing to take on any project, I really don't find that to be the case and have never operated my business that way.

'whatever, whenever and whoever' is absolute bullshit. In fact the opposite is more commonly true. In general photographers are rewarded for going deeper not wider. Every photographer is in control of their portfolio. Some might not choose to curate it very closely, but that is on them, not their clients. If you only show food in your portfolio, you are virtually assured that you are not going to get hired to shoot cars. If you hate shooting food, then why the fuck did you put food in your portfolio. A career in photography exists across many images and many shoots.

It has been my experience that photographers are considered for projects that are within their wheelhouse. Then once client relationship has been established, more diverse offers might come, but typically at the outset projects relate to portfolios. Some clients actually hire photographers to shoot the things they like to shoot because they actually saw it in their portfolios. Strange how that happens.

In my case, I felt that my work (highly paid at the time) was taking me in a direction that I wasn't interested in. I made the decision to re-chart my direction. I invested in myself and was able to chart a course that I was more interested in. Had money been the only guidepost I would have taken different paths. In the end, my decisions satisfied both my photography and my business. The suggestion that the totality of my creative output for the past 25 years has been solely at the pleasure of others is insulting.

And another thing:
"- An amateur photographer gets to choose whatever, whenever and whoever they wish to photograph, without the worry of having to please anyone other than themselves."

Do you really believe this? As an amateur photographer, do you believe that you are given all the access and opportunities that a photographer working on assignment, with a budget and a designated publication does? I would say likely not. I feel like I have put myself in the position on several projects and opportunities so that I could gain the resources in order to take more and better photos. For me this is more salient and long-lasting.

Nov 20 18 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Dan Howell - "You can disagree without being disagreeable!" ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Nov 20 18 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

The tax man will........If you deduct your equipment from your income......

Nov 20 18 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 21 18 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 21 18 04:13 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I remember a time when I was living in San Diego and working in La Jolla.  Still in the midst of the art scene (geez how my interests have shifted focus over the years), I was shocked to see this boutique store in La Jolla, just greeting cards.

I've known some incredible painters, some made money, some didn't.  I was surprised knowing the rents in La Jolla that someone had a store-front for these simple greeting cards that would probably take two seconds to construct.  Thing is, this person figured out the means to open a store, keep it going and create the art for it.  Whether I thought it was good or not didn't matter.  It was an eye-opener for me with business.

Professional is being exceptionally good at your craft OR making money from it.  The preference to me is both.  How much money do you need to make to be a pro?  Full-time can mean whatever you want.  You can work a few hours a week, 8 hours a day, etc.  What's your net?  All of that doesn't matter.  If you get paid and you're really good, that's a pro to me.

I hear so many exceptional photographers saying it's their 'hobby'.  They could EASILY do it full-time.  Perhaps their full-time gig pays incredibly more than what photography can provide.  Who knows... everyone has their story.  I've always had this great admiration for people who made a killing from their art without any help from anyone, just their talent alone.  It's a TOUGH business to be in!!!

When I think of an amateur, I think of someone learning their craft, that's it.  When I think of a professional, I think of someone really good at their craft.  I also have seen many amateurs with incredible professional attitudes that will get them far in the business.  Those soft skills can make or break you.

Nov 21 18 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

My favorite definition (at least as applies to artists) is that "A professional artist is someone who is paid for doing that which he would be delighted to do for free." 

I might point out, however, that circumstances do alter cases:
There was a time when I was young, that I earned almost all my income as a professional actor--Then the babies came along and I became a "professional" office worker and an "amateur" actor (In which period, incidentally, I did some of my best work as an actor, albeit unpaid.)  Today, at 81,  I'm a semi-pro, semi retired, real estate investor (one profitable building), Semi pro actor (I've retained my SAG card but there are not a lot of parts at my age and a lot of old actors competing for them, and I guess a semi pro model (Pharma print jobs pay top dollar if you look like you're just about to kick off wink )

The point is that one's professional or amateur status has little or nothing to do with one's talent, skill or commitment to one's art.  It's just as easy to be a bungling fool while being paid as is is when not being paid, and sometimes easier.  Politics abounds with examples.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Nov 21 18 09:10 am Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

an amateur has better equipment, because they never get paid in 'experience' or 'exposure'.

Nov 21 18 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Amateur, professional, why does it matter?  Both can create outstanding work and both can create garbage.  In fact, in my career, I have manufactured both a few outstanding images and a lot of stuff that was less visually inspiring.

Often, images that might look less interesting to see were often very interesting to create since they can at times require solving some complex technical issues or even though the images seem simple, they really helped a client out.

When I graduated school with my BFA, I had a real attitude about "commercial photographers".  I was an "ARTIST"!

But with marriage and kids, and therefore the need to earn some real dollars, I pursued a commercial career.  It has been mainly a blast.  I have met and worked with incredible and creative people.  I have learned a ton about other businesses, institutions and what not.  I have traveled on somebody else's dime and along the way, I made images that helped people smile.

I know whom I am, I was never on the "A" list but I am a strong B to B+.  I earned a bit less than I desired but that could be said for many of us in many careers.  I raised to incredible kids and sustained a healthy loving marriage.  But most importantly, after 30 plus years, I am still working and still enjoying it all.  And I am still growing as a photographer.

In my mind, photography is not about gear, earnings, or prestige, though all those come into play.  Photography is about creating images that help us see and understand what it means to be a human being.  That pursuit, understanding, is well worth the trip.

Sincerely,
Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

Nov 21 18 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I think we need to accept that words have meanings. The O.E.D.'s third def. of a professional is: "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation."

The OP asked what is the difference, I think that is made clear by the above. Note that there is nothing mentioned about the quality of the output of the specified activity.  I wonder why we hunger for titles?

Nov 21 18 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

For me a very good professional has much more opportunities than a very good amateur photographer.  I'm a good photographer and one of my second shooters is just as good as me on most days.  He is rich and even has much better equipment than I will ever own.  But I get to go places and shoot things that he never will have access to without me.   We shot SONA (state of the nation address) this year and he couldn't have done that without the access of being a pro.  I also get to visit lots of places on someone else's dime and gain access to things like great concerts and movers and shakers.

One of my favorite stories to tell is how I got to meet Metallica over several days back in their heyday.  I was just an assistant to a really great photographer (don't worry I won't out you if you are reading this) and it was one of my favorite things I have ever done.  Back then there were tons of amateurs that were better than me but working in the industry gave me access to great people and lots of opportunities.

Nov 23 18 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 23 18 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
So regardless of my ability (or not) and/or my attitude towards how I approach my photography assignments, would I be more credible as a photographer if I was to say that I am a professional, rather than an amateur, photographer?

*Why do you have to say if you are a professional or an amateur photographer...?
.....I just say....."I am a photographer"........
I show them my shots or hand them my card....and I let my pictures...speak for themselves.....!!
...I know what I am....whether anyone agrees or not..!!
.... I have never had anyone ask me which I am...an amateur or professional...
....depending on what I am shooting...they just know....lol

Nov 24 18 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
You are both right.

I have long contemplated going pro. Money is good. But there's the business development time where you aren't sustainable and there's the aspect of shooting subjects you just aren't interested in. I LOVE shooting people, but the thought of shooting a couple consigning themselves to misery --"tying the knot"-- well, probably better to shoot real estate or products. I guess the other thing is I have been able to support myself through relatively more normal, "regular" work most of my career.... It would be tough to plunge into something even less certain.

The wedding market has crashed, TEB.  Everyone expects you to work for literally nothing while they host an open bar and serve prime rib to people they barely know.  For the amount of work you do, the money used to be good, now it's not so good.  I turn down more wedding work than I take anymore because noone wants to pay for the amount of work that's involved.  There are only so many upscale weddings each year.  Those are the ones that actually pay close to a reasonable rate.  Landing those is a dream but they normally come with some issue like a know nothing wedding planner who believes you work for her and she won't be in business in a year anyway or a bridezilla who wants you to make her look like Beyoncé when in fact she looks more like Herman Munster, and that's not even counting the alcoholic mother of the bride and bridesmaids from Hell.  Everyone else is doing their own decorating from what's on the shelf at Hobby Lobby and what they believe they saw on Pinterest.  Detail shots with some of those items takes a bit of imagination.  They're usually the same couples who tell you they reserved a "whole" $300 for photography but want 10 hours of coverage and get all offended when I bring them back to reality with a realistic quote for the "pictures they have to have."  (Insert eye roll and migraine here)  I forgot to mention dear old Uncle Bill who desires to impart all of his matchbook knowledge of photography on you while you're trying to create magic with relatives who honestly demonstrate what it's like to hate each other. 

If you ever want to experience it, message me and I'll bring you in as a second shooter sometime.  Over the last two decades plus, weddings have gone from beautiful, solemn events where everyone behaves themselves to the equivalent of shooting a hockey game with three teams on the ice at once and no period breaks.

Being a professional crack dealer probably has more benefits.

Nov 24 18 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Camera Buff wrote:
So regardless of my ability (or not) and/or my attitude towards how I approach my photography assignments, would I be more credible as a photographer if I was to say that I am a professional, rather than an amateur, photographer?

Yes, for sure.

Nov 24 18 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
So I personally would like to make it clear to anyone I photograph that I am not a professional photographer. If someone does the odd paid job, I don't believe this makes them a professional photographer, but if something happens on a paid assignment either at home, or out on location, and someone is injured then you may be in for a difficult time convincing the authorities otherwise.

.....*I have been shooting for 30+ years...I have never had any issues you mention, whether at home, studio or on location..!!
...*All is Well*...here in Cali..!!

Nov 24 18 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
I totally agree with you about ... how your pictures ....speak for themselves ....!!

I viewed them all ... and they are all amazing!

All is good here, too! Thank you so much for your responses.

....*Thank You So much*....Really..!!
...(I will happily pay you later,
that $5.00 dollars I promised you,
for your positive thoughts....lol)

Nov 24 18 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Nov 24 18 04:51 pm Link