Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Darktable to tether cameras

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I wanted to tether my older Canon cameras but I don't have the EOS software and I couldn't find it on-line and I refuse to pay for Lightroom or Capture One and the few free programs I did find didn't work but Darktable did and its FREE to use.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5aA6-EYUA    I did this under Windows although I primarily use Linux.   This isn't to debate if Darktable is better then LightRoom or Capture One or other software.   Hopefully someone may find this useful especially if LR or Capture One isn't affordable.

Nov 20 18 07:09 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've never needed to tether, but I am using DT for editing using Ubuntu as my OS.

Having said that, I'm dual booting right now, until I'm comfortable with DT, then I'll go 100% Linux and ditch my windowz and creative cloud account.

Nov 20 18 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

PhillipM wrote:
I've never needed to tether, but I am using DT for editing using Ubuntu as my OS.

Having said that, I'm dual booting right now, until I'm comfortable with DT, then I'll go 100% Linux and ditch my windowz and creative cloud account.

I still dual boot as there are Windows programs I need but I refuse to pay for PS or LR.  They are great programs but way more then I need.  I still use Picasa for example.   I don't use GIMP either.   I'm nit a big fan of Ubuntu.  However the latest version is nice.  The new kernel removed support for some older Wi-Fi cards.  If you have a extra PC look at Arch or Manjaro.

Nov 21 18 07:09 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've kind of used some of those you listed with regard to OS's.  Never really installed them.  Just ran live CD versions of them.  I'm always trying out other distro's.  I'm playing with DEEPIN right now of a thumbdrive.

I just wish DT would let me put in the DPI I want when I crop.  I crop everything to 8x10 then upload them to WHCC for my paper proofs.  Yes, I still provide paper proofs to my customers.

I can select 8x10, but if I open that cropped file up in PS it shows it to be 13.78 x 11.45 @ 300 dpi.  What the hell is that all about anyway?

Nov 22 18 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

PhillipM wrote:
I've kind of used some of those you listed with regard to OS's.  Never really installed them.  Just ran live CD versions of them.  I'm always trying out other distro's.  I'm playing with DEEPIN right now of a thumbdrive.

I just wish DT would let me put in the DPI I want when I crop.  I crop everything to 8x10 then upload them to WHCC for my paper proofs.  Yes, I still provide paper proofs to my customers.

I can select 8x10, but if I open that cropped file up in PS it shows it to be 13.78 x 11.45 @ 300 dpi.  What the hell is that all about anyway?

I don't make prints but yeah one of the issues with opensource software is the development cycle and features compared to some paid software isn't the same.  While I love Linux on a recent install of MINT my Wi-Fi card wouldn't work.   That was a pain.   A earlier version of MINT was fine.   Windows 10 no issue.   That said the Linux world has so many choices.   Deepin is one of them.

Nov 22 18 04:54 pm Link