Forums > Newbie Forum > Is this a scam?

Model

rachel westrop

Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom

Just wondering if this is a scam, this is a message i got below?

Hello ...I'm Maddy, one of the model supervisor for Calsberg BEER. Calsberg BEER. is giving out opportunity to just 9 upcoming Models for a trial photo shooting by extending their advertisement Catalog, .So if you are interested in modeling , your photos will be posted on billboards, magazines in , UK,FRANCE AND GERMANY . Please let me know if you are interested in this position. For starters, you would get a payment of  450  for MUA and Stylist Arrangement.

Photo shoot Brand: Calsberg BEER.

Contact Name: Maddy

(then a email was attached)

Nov 21 18 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes, it's a scam.

Most of it is standard Nigerian 419 fodder, highlighted by "Location:  In your city"
(that makes generic so they can send it to everyone without having to have someone type in city names for each victim)

Same scam form letter, different names.

---------------------------

If receivecd through mm copy and send to www,modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Nov 21 18 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

rachel westrop wrote:
Hello ...I'm Maddy, one of the model supervisor for Calsberg BEER. Calsberg BEER. is giving out opportunity to just 9 upcoming Models for a trial photo shooting by extending their advertisement Catalog,
Photo shoot Brand: Calsberg BEER.

Is the model supervisor misspelling the name of her brand?

rachel westrop wrote:

Are they going to transport their equipment and staff to the location of each and every model??

Typically the scammer sends you a large check, tells you to retain a small amount as an advance deposit, and tells you to forward the rest of the funds to a third party. The check bounces and your bank removes the entire amount from your bank account.

Nov 21 18 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Same decades-old Nigerian Scam! http://www.newmodels.com/Nigeria.html

First clue is "hello" with no name! Too lazy to bother adding your name.
Next clue is...everything after that!
Nobody legit offers payment up-front, and certainly would never have you supposedly handle paying someone else for them!

Cease all contact! Do not give them your contact info.
If you already have, anything they send you is fake!
Never post private info on Mayhem...it is visible to every scammer in the world!
If you were first contacted by someone within Mayhem, report them to the Moderators.
If by email determine where they got it from. Is it listed in you Instagram? Wherever you have it showing online, remove it. Expect more of them.

Dec 04 18 05:46 pm Link

Model

Rose Manchester

San Antonio, Texas, US

I got this as an email and i dont know what to think..

Thanks for your Response Rose, My Name is William and i was Born and Raised in Germany. i Move to the United State Due to the Nature of my Job.  I work for Average Advert and announced as a freelancer and the Manager We are looking for pictures of Experienced, Professional or Novice  on the Internet that we can not afford to pay top professional models. our client is looking for an image that will be on its "International Calling Card Phone" billboard / poster to display in Western Europe. we think your image might fit on the Project Contract. Your face will only appear on the display panel. The total remuneration for employment is 6,000.00 Euros Monthly or it equivalent in your currency which is around ( 7,368.51 US Dollar ) and will be paid for a period of 4 to 6 months, Photos of the poster will be sent to you before it will be launched. If you are interested in this opportunity, please send some Head-shots with few Full Bodied Photos,  so the client will be able to choose the picture that perfect the posters. Once the client choose the image that he prefers the next thing is to treat your contract and payment. Your photos will not be abused and we will make sure a contract is signed with you and you get paid before your Pictures can be  used. Once I get your picture in my email I will respond to let you know what the client says and which of the picture has been selected.

Waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,
William Hayward

Thank you for your replies. I figured it was fake. Sounded way too good to be true and ya I did some google search and couldn’t find anything. Once again thank you!!

Dec 07 18 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Rose Manchester wrote:
I got this as an email and i dont know what to think..

Thanks for your Response Rose, My Name is William and i was Born and Raised in Germany. i Move to the United State Due to the Nature of my Job.  I work for Average Advert and announced as a freelancer and the Manager We are looking for pictures of Experienced, Professional or Novice  on the Internet that we can not afford to pay top professional models. our client is looking for an image that will be on its "International Calling Card Phone" billboard / poster to display in Western Europe. we think your image might fit on the Project Contract. Your face will only appear on the display panel. The total remuneration for employment is 6,000.00 Euros Monthly or it equivalent in your currency which is around ( 7,368.51 US Dollar ) and will be paid for a period of 4 to 6 months, Photos of the poster will be sent to you before it will be launched. If you are interested in this opportunity, please send some Head-shots with few Full Bodied Photos,  so the client will be able to choose the picture that perfect the posters. Once the client choose the image that he prefers the next thing is to treat your contract and payment]/b]. Your photos will not be abused and we will make sure a contract is signed with you and you get paid before your Pictures can be  used. Once I get your picture in my email I will respond to let you know what the client says and [b]which of the picture has been selected.

Waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,
William Hayward

no, it's not genuine. 6,000 euros x 4 months is 24,000 euros and plenty enough to hire an good agency model for this and the agency would have the proper legal paper work. it's a crazy amount for a unknown freelance model and would have been a totally unnecessary and excessive amount.

two. a real ad agency would know, the model cannot release image for use; it's the photographer that owns the copyright and not the model.

three, if they are only using the face image, they don't need full length shots.

four, there are no reasonable google hits for "average advert"

five, the grammar and writing, even allowing for uk or oz variations and german raised, is very poor and not likely. the punctuation and run on sentences are suspect.

Dec 07 18 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Rose Manchester wrote:

Hello Rose
Welcome to MM
That offer is fake

Please read this guide to spotting scams
New models learn about scams
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

Dec 07 18 11:21 am Link