Forums > General Industry > Digital photograhers technical knowlege

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

When I read some photographer's post...I easily get lost with the computers and camera terminologies..
Not to mention the camera's menus........APS/Super 35mm...Swt.V/H AF area ...DRO/AutoHDR...
Then go to the camera's manual...100 pages...
You guys are amazing!!

Nov 24 18 05:54 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Awwww shucks twerent nothin. :-)

Nov 24 18 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Above all else, knowing when to trigger the shutter is the paramount act in photography.

In the end, understanding composition, light, exposure, color (or not) and how to make a camera speak with focus,  shutter speed and aperture settings are the true basics and enough to enable excellent results.

Deeper technical knowledge may well be the frosting on the cupcake but without the cupcake they amount to no more than a blob of sugary goo.

Nov 24 18 10:40 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

I bet there are digital BBQ's with  bluetooth and menus and 100 page manuals and logarithms  that one needs to master so as to produce the perfectly prepared meal

but that ain't cooking... that's just choosing the right buttons to push

Nov 24 18 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Yes, there are lots of things to learn or not learn depending on what you are interested in.  It's ok.  I don't judge. I'm not very technical and I am sure it shows to others.  I get negative comments occasionally.  My strength is I try to get along with my clients not the jargon.  My whole team couldn't explain most of the technical side as well.  One of my second shooters shoots on program mode and just shows me the pictures and I have to adjust the settings during a wedding.  That freaked out a guest at a wedding once as well.  He couldn't believe that I would hire someone like that.  I guess to each his own. 

My second shooter is in charge of capturing life moments like first hugs, kids playing, parents gushing, relatives and friends who traveled far and wide to attend the weddings.  Program mode works great for these and the love of being with people is even a better quality in a photographer.

Nov 25 18 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Nov 25 18 10:40 pm Link