Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Breast Implant Illness

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I don’t have breast implants but I thought it was necessary to post this for others considering a boob job.

Oddly I just found out about it last night through a random YouTube video and fell upon this article. I’ll post both. The YT vid is more personal. This woman posted a video how to color your own hair & that’s how I found it.

Seems like anyone who gets implants has to get them replaced multiple times. I remember distinctly reading here that when people get older, it’s pretty troublesome when you’re 80 or so.

Boobs are awesome but truly not worth this. Plus, boobs are overrated. I never really had any until I got older.  Hormones I guess. Small, big, whatever. It’s good to feel good. Boobs are just fat anyway.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/ … n=15336973

https://youtu.be/QLdS0E7dGmE

Dec 09 18 02:27 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Yeah, I've heard they need to be redone or tuned-up every so often.

I know one who had hers done and one of them slides around under her skin.  Seems the scar tissue or whatever didn't hold it in position.  She said she needs to wear a bra to keep it in place or it might go around to her back (!?!).  One thing she mentioned was if she doesn't want to have sex, she moves it so her nipple points east and it freaks her husband out and he goes and sleeps on the couch.  He calls her "Mrs. Gumby" at times.  Her doc said it will get anchored "next time."

Dec 10 18 04:12 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It is such a tricky balance to focus on happiness outside of the inside of us. I mean I have tattoos and pierced ears and colored my hair in my youth so how can I not understand wanting to change ourselves.
I also remember the disaster of emotions after a bad hair cut or botched color and how I was thankfully spared that lesson on any permanent changes.
A fellow nurse at a hospital I worked at was beautiful and vivacious and she wanted some work.done. sadly she never made it out of the hospital and her spouse and child lost her.
It is a personal choice that I'm so grateful I don't care for or want.
Jen

Dec 10 18 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I've seen some really really screwed up boob jobs. Some look ok with clothes on but look terrible without. Out of all the boob jobs I've seen I remember only a couple that actually looked natural and pretty.

I'm a fan of natural looking bodies.

I also like natural hair colors. I don't mind the dye jobs but too many people have the habit of not keeping up the color and having inches of roots showing which are almost impossible to correct in post production, at least for me anyway.

Dec 10 18 07:51 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Znude! wrote:
I've seen some really really screwed up boob jobs. Some look ok with clothes on but look terrible without. Out of all the boob jobs I've seen I remember only a couple that actually looked natural and pretty.

I'm a fan of natural looking bodies.

I also like natural hair colors. I don't mind the dye jobs but too many people have the habit of not keeping up the color and having inches of roots showing which are almost impossible to correct in post production, at least for me anyway.

Natural is awesome with everything but hey, grey hairs happen.  I color my hair literally over 2 strands I see but hey, I found the perfect color and I found out I get a better result than the stylists.  All under 10 bucks... crazy!

Best looking boob job I was privy to see (and women loved to show me for whatever reason) was a fellow model.  If she didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known.  Right doctor and expense, two huge contributing factors.

Dec 10 18 08:41 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
It is such a tricky balance to focus on happiness outside of the inside of us. I mean I have tattoos and pierced ears and colored my hair in my youth so how can I not understand wanting to change ourselves.
I also remember the disaster of emotions after a bad hair cut or botched color and how I was thankfully spared that lesson on any permanent changes.
A fellow nurse at a hospital I worked at was beautiful and vivacious and she wanted some work.done. sadly she never made it out of the hospital and her spouse and child lost her.
It is a personal choice that I'm so grateful I don't care for or want.
Jen

Reminds me of that poor woman who was in real estate and died in Mexico because they put the anethesia in the wrong place/went up to her brain/killed her.

I would bet hands down if more men found smaller breasts attractive, the entire industry would fail.

Dec 10 18 08:44 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:
Yeah, I've heard they need to be redone or tuned-up every so often.

I know one who had hers done and one of them slides around under her skin.  Seems the scar tissue or whatever didn't hold it in position.  She said she needs to wear a bra to keep it in place or it might go around to her back (!?!).  One thing she mentioned was if she doesn't want to have sex, she moves it so her nipple points east and it freaks her husband out and he goes and sleeps on the couch.  He calls her "Mrs. Gumby" at times.  Her doc said it will get anchored "next time."

Tell her to go to those docs on 'Botched'.  I watch it now and again.  They seem to be extremely experienced.

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/2/Open/NBC_6/Program/24346152/e-botched-5-iconicimg-72-dpi-2160-x-2880-3-4-1.jpg

Dec 10 18 08:47 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Natural is awesome with everything but hey, grey hairs happen.  I color my hair literally over 2 strands I see but hey, I found the perfect color and I found out I get a better result than the stylists.  All under 10 bucks... crazy!

Best looking boob job I was privy to see (and women loved to show me for whatever reason) was a fellow model.  If she didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known.  Right doctor and expense, two huge contributing factors.

smile  I'm sure smile

Jules NYC wrote:
Reminds me of that poor woman who was in real estate and died in Mexico because they put the anethesia in the wrong place/went up to her brain/killed her.

I would bet hands down if more men found smaller breasts attractive, the entire industry would fail.

No one needs a boob job on my account. smile

Dec 10 18 11:39 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

This news report (by a local Phoenix TV station) is excellent:

6 minutes:

https://www.azfamily.com/video/video-br … 855e7.html

Dec 10 18 01:47 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Looks like she likely has an autoimmune issue that was probably triggered by the surgery, she was around the right age for shit like that to pop up. silicone itself is inert which is why her previous doctors didnt think anything of it, at best they could have suggested that her body just didnt like having foreign objects inside it and her immune system kept trying to attack something, but without an infection theres no reason to think thats happening. Millions of people have no reaction to implants, its unsurprising that its not terribly researched or recognized as an illness that run-of-the-mill GPs would catch

Dec 10 18 03:18 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
This news report (by a local Phoenix TV station) is excellent:

6 minutes:

https://www.azfamily.com/video/video-br … 855e7.html

This is great; thank you for posting.

As an aside, lots of women who get breast cancer thought the connection was getting Mammograms. Turns out when you get X-rayed (dentist/Mammogram) there is a thyroid guard to protect you from cancer.

Go figure. I learned that from Stern.

Dec 10 18 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Jules NYC wrote:

My wife has small breasts, and I like them just as they are.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44538078 18+

She has considered implants, but she's had so many surgeries, she finally decided she didn't need more surgery just for larger breasts.

Dec 10 18 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

James S wrote:
My wife has small breasts, and I like them just as they are.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44538078 18+

She has considered implants, but she's had so many surgeries, she finally decided she didn't need more surgery just for larger breasts.

If that is your wife, her breasts are wonderful and not small at all.

Dec 10 18 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Something close to a video I saw a while back on the news segment about something like this.

https://www.azfamily.com/cbs-investigat … a8bc5.html

Edit: found the video I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3sdJ4GQT4I

Dec 11 18 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Looks like she likely has an autoimmune issue that was probably triggered by the surgery, she was around the right age for shit like that to pop up. silicone itself is inert which is why her previous doctors didnt think anything of it, at best they could have suggested that her body just didnt like having foreign objects inside it and her immune system kept trying to attack something, but without an infection theres no reason to think thats happening. Millions of people have no reaction to implants, its unsurprising that its not terribly researched or recognized as an illness that run-of-the-mill GPs would catch

In her 20's she (her body) should have been best able to deal with stuff thrown at it. If she did the surgery in her 40's or later, I would understand... but in her 20's, that was probably her best time to try.

The silicone is inside a bag... made out of some sort of plastic or something. The body doesn't know what's inside the bag unless it's ruptured somehow. So, any rejection of the foreign object is because of the bag itself and not the contents of it.

When people have hip/knee/etc. replacements, they forever after need to take some antibiotics before dental work or other things. Reason being, is that antibodies don't see the foreign objects as territory they're charged with protecting,  so they don't go and kill the bad stuff (infection) that clings to these places. The bacteria (released via dental work or other procedures)  can cling to the artificial objects and grow to a level where they can be a problem.

Perhaps with some people, they haven't been properly instructed on how to maintain their health while having these things inside them. Or, perhaps they have been told, but they ignored the fine print.  Perhaps a young lady, sporting her new big breasts, goes to the dentist and has a deep cleaning done. She forgets to take antibiotics beforehand... and boom, bacteria clings to the implants and her body doesn't do anything about it. Big problem ensues.

Putting foreign things in your body has trade offs... you have to weigh the benefits/risks for your self. There are life saving situations (organ transplants, etc.) and quality of life enhancing (joint replacements, etc.) and there are vanity (implants) reasons for doing things. You might see one type as a bigger deal than others, but your body doesn't. Your body sees all foreign stuff as the enemy... so you need to handle that situation.

Dec 11 18 02:28 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

The White Snake hot chick wanted bigger breasts now wants them out.

Ah, Tawny Kitaen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DidY7Un8XoY

She didn't need anything more imho back then.

https://i.imgur.com/tuOg7mE.gif

Dec 11 18 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
When people have hip/knee/etc. replacements, they forever after need to take some antibiotics before dental work or other things. Reason being, is that antibodies don't see the foreign objects as territory they're charged with protecting,  so they don't go and kill the bad stuff (infection) that clings to these places. The bacteria (released via dental work or other procedures)  can cling to the artificial objects and grow to a level where they can be a problem.

My Orthopedist says that five years after knee replacement, I no longer need to take antibiotics before dental work.

I know several women with natural looking implants that are over ten years old, no problems or recommendations to have them re done. Everyone is different, and everyone should understand the possible risks of any behavior.

Dec 11 18 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I have a friend who told me she wants this surgery. We talked about it. I told her that she can have anything she wants, especially if she's paying for it or knows someone who will, but this is my opinion:

Breasts have one job: feed your baby should you choose to do it that way. Being close to 50 years old, she's not likely to have any babies, so there isn't anything to worry about (IMO). I realize that larger sizes generally get more attention from men, but how much of this is good attention and how much isn't? How many men have you married or dated who said you need implants because they're too small? What kind of person would say that to someone, anyway? Do they really care about you if they do?

The bottom line for me is you're a person. You developed the size and shape you were supposed to develop. I understand there are exercises people do to change their size and/or shape and that's okay, but it doesn't involve chemicals, knives, possible infection and even death in some cases. You are who you are and a larger bra size won't make you more of a woman. It'll just get you more attention from people who don't really care about you and possibly only want to have sex ... not that these things will add to your sexual pleasure.

So ... do what you like and I'll support you (no pun intended) either way ... but I think you're perfect just the way you are. Well, she still talks about it sometimes and that's her right ... I just don't think it's necessary.

Dec 11 18 10:01 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

I just had a joint replacement (and have many friends who have, as well), and I have never been given this advice by doctors or heard this reported by said friends. Source, please.

EDIT: Went looking myself. Used to be a recommendation, but no longer:

"It was only three years later, in 2012, that the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Dental Association (ADA) had a complete turnaround in policy. In their revised guidelines, the two organizations jointly stated that antibiotics should not be considered mandatory for persons undergoing routine dental work."

https://www.verywellhealth.com/antibiot … rk-2549523

Dec 11 18 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

matt-h2 wrote:

I just had a joint replacement (and have many friends who have, as well), and I have never been given this advice by doctors or heard this reported by said friends. Source, please.

EDIT: Went looking myself. Used to be a recommendation, but no longer:

"It was only three years later, in 2012, that the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the American Dental Association (ADA) had a complete turnaround in policy. In their revised guidelines, the two organizations jointly stated that antibiotics should not be considered mandatory for persons undergoing routine dental work."

The guidelines have changed on this a few years back, but it used to be very common practice:

https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/feature … hroplasty/

Dec 11 18 11:48 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
In her 20's she (her body) should have been best able to deal with stuff thrown at it. If she did the surgery in her 40's or later, I would understand... but in her 20's, that was probably her best time to try.

In a healthy 20something, sure.

One of the articles I looked up on this supposed "breast implant illness" cites that one of the reasons its not widely known or backed is because a lot of the symptoms look the same as hard to diagnose and treat autoimmune disorders. It IS normal for those to crop up in your 20s and 30s, and because theyre tough to spot and we have this belief that young people shouldnt be sick, a lot of people dont get a real diagnosis for many more years. Some of those illnesses seem to just pop up whenever, but sometimes their emergence coexists with some other big medical thing like an accident or surgery or other major illness (which also makes it tough to spot them, people think theyre only dealing with the triggering issue or think thats still their problem long after its resolved but youre mysteriously still sick)

Also silicone implants are completely silicone. The "bag" is silicone. The filling is silicone.

Dec 11 18 06:09 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

One woman who had breast cancer showed me her breast fat transfer. It seems to really work yet a much greater effort to graft the fat. It comes with ‘risks’ though. The body can reabsorb the fat, you can only go up one cup size & it doesn’t lift existing breast tissue.

Lots of $ and effort for existing healthy breasts. Regardless, a better choice.

Dec 11 18 10:27 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jules NYC wrote:
One woman who had breast cancer showed me her breast fat transfer. It seems to really work yet a much greater effort to graft the fat. It comes with ‘risks’ though. The body can reabsorb the fat, you can only go up one cup size & it doesn’t lift existing breast tissue.

Lots of $ and effort for existing healthy breasts. Regardless, a better choice.

They've surely improved over the years, but the last time I heard about this, there was also the risk of the fat essentially dying and just hardening up. The body wont absorb that, so it has to be surgically removed.

And...yknow...the fat has to come from somewhere, which means you're actually having two surgeries that can go poorly. For a *much* higher rate of failure (in that it either dies or reabsorbs and you dont get what you want either way) and significantly less choice in customization, I wouldnt say fat grafts over silicone implants is a better choice. Like basically everything, the vast majority of people with silicone implants that are done by competent surgeons and are maintained appropriately dont have an issue.

Dec 11 18 11:13 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
They've surely improved over the years, but the last time I heard about this, there was also the risk of the fat essentially dying and just hardening up. The body wont absorb that, so it has to be surgically removed.

And...yknow...the fat has to come from somewhere, which means you're actually having two surgeries that can go poorly. For a *much* higher rate of failure (in that it either dies or reabsorbs and you dont get what you want either way) and significantly less choice in customization, I wouldnt say fat grafts over silicone implants is a better choice. Like basically everything, the vast majority of people with silicone implants that are done by competent surgeons and are maintained appropriately dont have an issue.

I disagree.

The woman who had her cancer and fat graphs had it done less than five years ago when I was working at United Healthcare. It was positive for her because it worked and much more appealing than the possibility of more surgeries down the road. I’d figure it’s more traumatic to have both of your breasts extracted completely via cancer than a bad boob job yet both scenarios involve a deconstruction of one or both breasts.

Only a doctor can truly evaluate by a per case basis yet the risks are up to the individual.

Implants can rupture, grow mold, move, harden, etc. Most people who had illness with their implants wish they did the fat transfer or nothing at all. Opinions are what they are yet amusing when opinion morphs into ‘internet armchair doctor’.

Dec 12 18 02:48 am Link