Forums > Model Colloquy > Techniques: Eyes, Face, Hands and Body Match?

Photographer

Steven David Studios

Saratoga Springs, New York, US

As a photographer I am always looking for a model to pose in such a way that her hands, eyes, face and body all match.  What does that mean?

What is the mood/feel of the shot?  Is it sexy, funny, erotic, silly, curious, or demure? 

Will someone who views the photograph KNOW the mood or feel of that shot?  YES, if the models hands, face, eyes and body all match that mood.  If not, then it creates confusion for the person viewing the image and lowers the quality of the shot.

When I work with models I ask them from each pose to think of one mood and make their entire body match that mood.  Often times I will say "Sexy" and have them from their pose make their body align with "Sexy", then I say "Funny" or "Silly" and have them, from the same pose, reflect that "new feeling or mood."   

It is amazing how many shots I see here on Model Mayhem or model sites on instagram where there is a clear disconnect somewhere in the image.... hands or eyes don't match body posture or something. 

Do you agree that getting the whole body to match matters? 

What techniques do you use to insure great images?

Dec 19 18 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Steven David Studios wrote:

Working with and helping develop new talent, I direct.  it's a work in progress...

Dec 19 18 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sometimes.

I understand what you're getting at, and I agree that sometimes presenting a cohesive set of expressions and gestures helps convey a particular mood. On the other hand, I can think of images that I've shot (particularly in strenuous poses) where I've wanted (and hopefully been successful) limbs, hands, feet etc. to display tension and muscle strain, and the face to simultaneously emote serenity, almost dream-like.

I don't think there's a right answer; it all depends on what you want to say.

Dec 19 18 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

What AGX said.

Sometimes a cohesive pose is what's needed. But I'm highly intrigued by expressions and poses that show an internal clash of some sort. For example, something that shows a façade of confidence but details that indicate nervousness, fearfulness, uncertainty. Or sexiness with a touch of humor. Professionalism mixed with perplexity.

Dec 19 18 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

First: Yep!

Second: If I run into this problem, , I find it's easier if I give the model a little "premise"to act out such as: "Your boy friend just proposed" or "You just got fired!"

Dec 19 18 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

sorry, dupe!

Dec 19 18 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Every picture tells a story, don't it?

A vibrant, genuine smile with a tense posture and hand position says one thing.
A terse expression with a relaxed, calming posture and hand position says another.

And, so it goes.

Humans are complicated, many expressions are possible. What happens is what is "real", at least for that instant.

Dec 19 18 10:53 pm Link

Model

Maria del Mar

New York, New York, US

I’ve had photographers tell me to dance little bit (especially if we have some music playing) to relax my muscles and loosen me up which help align my body in what ever pose I’m in...ultimately this make for a better line in my body and the body parts seem to match up in the photos smile

I totally understand this concept as a dance who is also a model because “body parts matching up/alignment/the line of the body” is sometimes the most important thing on stage.

May 20 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Sometimes, if things are too matchy-matchy, you end up with a shot that is obviously, strictly posed and it will lack the naturalness that comes along with that individual's innate movement patterns. Or the subject's expression is "flat," because the physical pose aspect took so long to perfect, the vibrance left the face.

Also, there is a certain arresting dynamic that can be created by one element of a photo that does not quite "match" with everything else. For example, I rather like the "claw-like hands" that some photographers hate. Especially for figure arts and b&w portraits. Not every person is peaceful and graceful all the time, and seeing that subtle tension in the hands adds something authentic to me.

Also, matchy-matchy poses can be somewhat boring and cliche, especially if they look like they came straight out of a Glamour Lighting 101 workshop.

May 20 19 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

OP, I wonder if your portfolio will showcase what you say in your post, or not?  Should I look?

May 20 19 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

For Me - I do a lot of shots of Models standing ...So it always starts with proper foot position ( ie feet planted solidly on the floor with toes pointed slightly outward or one foot direcetly facing the camera and the other positioned about 45 degrees facing away ....)

Proper Posture is important ( ie no slouching )

High Heels not only give the Model Height - they also change the Models posture into a more " eye pleasing form

I agree that hands are important ( they can tell a story in themselves ) and so it is important that they are visible / not hidden

There needs to be balance in the posture ie shoulders and hips straight - but they can also be angled in ( opposite complimentary positions )

Regarding the Face - Most Models do not have complete symetry in thier face ( one side looks different than the other ) So it is important to find the most flattering angle of the face to shoot

Some Models do possess symetry of the face - which makes the photographers job so much easier

Emoting / Expressing - Some Models can do it . Some can kind of do it and Some are like Deers in the Headlight

As a Phfotographer I might suggest that a Model try and express a Mood ( ie happy . sad etc to change her facial expression ) I would never use a sexual term to elicit and expression but i might say something like " think of your favorite ice cream cone "

Sometimes to break a Models tension - I might say something like Ok give me your Superbitch Look - which usually gets the Model laughing but sometimes I do get that Look . And I can work with both the laughter and the bitchh look

I did not initially think it was importand to have Models smiling in my work ( the whole seriousness and aloofness of fashion thing ) but I have come to value a Model with a Great Smile

If You are lookinig to have your Model engage the viewer - The Eyes are very important -thus it it is importan as to how they look . They can be enhanced ( ie with false eye lashers or makeup ) but they shouldnt be overwhelmed by such - unless the focus is on those enhancements as in some Beauty Styles

Personally as well - I Love Hair but Try to keep it off the Models face as it tend to look messy there unless its perfecetly positioned

May 20 19 12:14 pm Link